Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kacper Kozłowski SINGS a four-and-a-half year deal

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
This player made me realise maybe I am not a good judge because I thought he looked very good in his only game at Aston Villa but never given another chance.
Are you thinking of Karbonik?? I don’t think Kozlowski ever played for the first team - will be one of those that didn’t work out - didn’t we pay £8m allegedly?
I could well have misremembered all of this of course

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Outlook hasn't been looking good for a while - the Polish division of the recruitment/scouting team seems to have had a bit of a mare; Karbownik went a year ago, at a loss of £1M (according to Transfermarkt, which I realise isn't perfect, but usually a reasonable shout). Koslowski cost us a lot more (about £10M (Transfermarkt again)) and looks likely to be offloaded at a loss - although I'd prefer him to have an EFL loan (and tough shit if it's not in his comfort zone).
And to add to the tale of woe from the Polish recruits, many on NSC are calling for getting rid of Moder too. :(
Was he really £10m? For some reason I thought it was about £5-6m. Certain to be taking a loss either way.

He was the youngest ever member of a Euros squad I believe, for Poland in 2021. So he came with some hype.

Then a middling to good first season at Vitesse. Refused a Championship loan to go back to Vitesse, who then stunk out the league and got relegated by some margin.

Now on to a no mark team in southeast Turkey? A shame for him but really shows how easily a career can go veer off the tracks in football.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Was he really £10m? For some reason I thought it was about £5-6m. Certain to be taking a loss either way.

He was the youngest ever member of a Euros squad I believe, for Poland in 2021. So he came with some hype.

Then a middling to good first season at Vitesse. Refused a Championship loan to go back to Vitesse, who then stunk out the league and got relegated by some margin.

Now on to a no mark team in southeast Turkey? A shame for him but really shows how easily a career can go veer off the tracks in football.

A bit harsh on Gaziantep. A fairly big mid-table team in an above-average European top division would be a good move for him, especially if he plays a lot of games.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Are you thinking of Karbonik?? I don’t think Kozlowski ever played for the first team - will be one of those that didn’t work out - didn’t we pay £8m allegedly?
I could well have misremembered all of this of course
Karbownik definitely played -- against Leicester in a cup I think. Did OK. Don't think Kozlowski has though.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

£10M? I don't know - just going, as I said, by Transfermarkt. Not gospel truth by any means, but usually a reasonable guide/guess. Whatever, this looks like one young footballer whose career needs a big turnaround! Can he hack it on a wet Tuesday night at Stoke? - maybe we should lend him to Stoke to find out!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
really shot himself in the foot by refusing a championship loan in my view. Seemed to prefer to stay in his comfort zone which I doubt went down well. Might need a bit of a kick up the bum

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He's a bit better than he's shown in the misery that is (or was, as they may not survive) Vitesse, but his development clearly hasn't been what anyone hoped for and if we can get £2-3m and a fat sell-on clause, I could see him leaving.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The progress of a young player is never linear. Some who you think will make it don't and vice versa.

We're best off moving the lad on and cutting our losses.

Separately, on foreign loans I don't think we've had many which have you could say were successful loan moves have we? Where the player impresses and the team improves and the fans want to keep him. It's only really the USG ones, and I guess we're in more of a position of influence there

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
The progress of a young player is never linear. Some who you think will make it don't and vice versa.

Separately, on foreign loans I don't think we've had many which have you could say were successful loan moves have we? Where the player impresses and the team improves and the fans want to keep him. It's only really the USG ones, and I guess we're in more of a position of influence there
only one that springs to mind is Van Hecke who had a spell at Heerenveen after we signed him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Adingra, Mitoma as you say with USG. JPvH, Mac Allister and you could argue Caicedo. Oh, and let's not forget Connolly's stint in Italy.

Back on Kozlowski, wasn't he the player who rejected the loan move we suggested and instead did a second season at Vitesse? Apologies if already covered in the thread.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Adingra, Mitoma as you say with USG. JPvH, Mac Allister and you could argue Caicedo. Oh, and let's not forget Connolly's stint in Italy.

Back on Kozlowski, wasn't he the player who rejected the loan move we suggested and instead did a second season at Vitesse? Apologies if already covered in the thread.
I don't know if he actually refused a loan, but it was widely suggested that he didn't want to do anything except return to his comfort zone with Vitesse. He has (I think) still got two years to go on his contract, so if we let him go now we'd likely take a sizeable financial hit. My best bet would be to arrange an EFL loan, preferably Championship - or League1 if no takers - and tell him he's off there whether he likes it or not.
Sink or swim son - have you got the bottle for a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I don't know if he actually refused a loan, but it was widely suggested that he didn't want to do anything except return to his comfort zone with Vitesse. He has (I think) still got two years to go on his contract, so if we let him go now we'd likely take a sizeable financial hit. My best bet would be to arrange an EFL loan, preferably Championship - or League1 if no takers - and tell him he's off there whether he likes it or not.
Sink or swim son - have you got the bottle for a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?
agree 100% this is the right course. i think some are forgetting just how highly rated he was when we signed him, and he actually had a pretty alright first season at vitesse, it’s just last season that he was really below par (but so was everyone else at vitesse). surely he’s allowed one bad season without being jettisoned into the ‘didn’t work out pile’??

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Karbownik definitely played -- against Leicester in a cup I think. Did OK. Don't think Kozlowski has though.
Yes thank you. thought he looked very good against Leicester not Villa. What happened to him.?
So many overseas young players seem to sign with hype.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Ostigard had a couple of good loan spells at St Pauli and Genoa which got him a move to Napoli and a we got a decent transfer fee of £5m (ish) from an initial investment of £100k. We wanted to keep him but the lack of guarantees about first team football opportunities was a factor in him wanting the move.

Obviously Undav to Stuttgart was successful and if he does move on will get us silly money were weren’t expecting but that’s slightly different as it wasn’t a development loan.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes thank you. thought he looked very good against Leicester not Villa. What happened to him.?
So many overseas young players seem to sign with hype.
I seem to remember we bought him as a left back, but when he arrived he decided he didn't want to play there!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I seem to remember we bought him as a left back, but when he arrived he decided he didn't want to play there!
Yup, and was still the case after his loan in Olympiakos. His agent was talking about finding a club where Karbo could play in his main role as central midfielder.

Few years later and he is still playing LB (now with Hertha in Bundesliga 2).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
agree 100% this is the right course. i think some are forgetting just how highly rated he was when we signed him, and he actually had a pretty alright first season at vitesse, it’s just last season that he was really below par (but so was everyone else at vitesse). surely he’s allowed one bad season without being jettisoned into the ‘didn’t work out pile’??
One bad season, OK - it's more of a concern if he doesn't pass the NDP test with his apparent reluctance to put himself out or move out of his comfort zone. Somewhere where it's grim oop north next, please!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here