Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Just what was Brentford's gameplan?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Seemed like they were just trying to get to the last few minutes a goal down to give them a chance of snatching a point.

For much of the second half if you didn't know the score, you'd think we were a goal down trying to get back into the game, not that Brenford were trailing.

Or are they just really shit?
In fairness to Brentford, their missing player list is worse than ours when you consider the number and importance of the players missing which was further compounded when their best player went off injured. They have a weaker squad than ours too which you’d expext when they’ve only been in the PL two seasons and they’re not in Europe.

Thought they did well and made life difficult for us in the circumstances.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At the very start they pressed our defence hard, forcing some mistakes. And I thought uh-oh.
I think they got spooked by some Mitoma magic and before long they lose their way.
Agree we were there for the taking last night.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
And got rid of their academy a few years ago. Ours has turned out to be useful this season.
But they do have their ‘B’ team which seems to work for them

Seemed like they were just trying to get to the last few minutes a goal down to give them a chance of snatching a point.

For much of the second half if you didn't know the score, you'd think we were a goal down trying to get back into the game, not that Brenford were trailing.

They are running on fumes as their injuries are even worse than ours. For all that they could still have won the game through Gross’s mistake

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
10 of their first team injured and I think so much of their gameplan relies om Toney and Mbuemo.

They were a nightmare for us last season but were pretty toothless last night. They didn't seem to have a particular plan. Especially on the ball. Their attempts at passing at the back were amusing.

I think our pressing was back on point last night too. Really pressing ad a team and causing them headaches.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
At the very start they pressed our defence hard, forcing some mistakes. And I thought uh-oh.
I think they got spooked by some Mitoma magic and before long they lose their way.
Agree we were there for the taking last night.
Other way round. THEY were there for the taking.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think a lot of their game-plan revolved around man-marking right across the pitch. That went out of the window very early with our two full-backs tucking inside the wingers and Baleba dropping into a sweeper role, almost impossible to man-mark when our positioning was so unorthodox and continually changing

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
equalising quickly massively helped us. That game had real potential to become very very frustrating before getting hit with another sucker punch.

At 1-1 and Mbuemo going off , they seemed to lose all belief
Yeah I think if we went into half-time 1-0 down we probably wouldn't have won that game. We may not have lost it either but the 2nd half would have been one of those horrible 2nd halves where we huff and puff but can't blow their house down.

That early equaliser, as you say, was crucial.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Shit. A
Lot of people go on about how well run both clubs are but that is were it ends.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Weird match. It was like a training match where the scenario was: We'll give you a one-goal start and then see how long it takes to get to 2-1. Weirdly apathetic performance from Brentford, I thought

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think they had 9 out and then lost the best player they had on the field, I don't think their sqaud depth is quite as good as ours.
In his post match interview, the interviewer says "it's great that you give so many young players a game" and RdZ replies "it's better than playing with seven men".

He clearly feels we are beyond the bare bones.

Reactions: cjd

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Brentford tried exactly what Fulham tried, exactly what Sheff Utd tried, exactly what Everton tried.

Sit deep, stay in the game, it doesn't take many chances against us to score.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Brentford fans on the p&r bus basically said injuries & fatigue meant an unusually flat performance for them. I didn’t want to add to their misery by pointing out our long injury/suspension list and the fact we’ve played 5 more games than them travelling around Europe.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Other way round. THEY were there for the taking.
Literally in the first 20 seconds of the game they were on us and we looked vulnerable.
We were generally more flimsy in possession without Dunk.
If they‘d have kept badgering and pressing igor, JPVH and Baleba in particular they’d have got something.
West Ham / Everton tactics.
You are right that they had plenty of frailties too, so it was probably easier said than done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here