Just what did El Abd do

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
over the Easter period that was so bad?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He was done for being drunk and disorderly, wasn't he?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
My mate is a Brighton policeman and he wondered how the press got hold of this story as neither Brighton nor the police named El-Abd.

If a policeperson was to arrest someone they considered to be famous, are they obliged under data protection or confidentiality legislation not to disclose to people the name of the person they arrested or what they were arrested for?

Or are the police above the law?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was an incident in the Honey Club and he ended being arrested and agreed to pay an on the spot fine of £80.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
I am a filthy pervert

Thanks for sharing that gem with us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
I am an alien.

It's all coming out tonight, keep up the good work.

fatboy said:
If a policeperson was to arrest someone they considered to be famous, are they obliged under data protection or confidentiality legislation not to disclose to people the name of the person they arrested or what they were arrested for?

You are kidding aren't you? Why should anyone arrested and fined be entitled to anonymity for behaving like this? If it acts as an extra deterrent, then it's for the good of society, isn't it? Justice must be done and SEEN to be done, the police are far too secretive already. What we need is a real Freedom of Information law, we are behind even America on this!

As for El Abd, the public exposure of his idiocy was VITAL. What do you really think will stop him behaving like a complete aggressive pisshead on the wages we pay him, an £80 fine or ending up on the front page of the Argus?

Same with Adam Hinshelwood, another one who has learnt his lesson the unnecessarily hard way.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I don't think anyone from the club or police would need to leak the information. I am sure there would have been enought witnesses i.e. public, bouncers etc.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yes but if Adam El-Abd went to see his doctor and was diagnosed with some sort of illness his doctor would be obliged not to divulge any of this information to anyone.

I know that is a completely different scenario to what might of gone on here - and it is quite likely he didn't do a lot wrong as any of us could be arrested for being drunk and disorderly if we were in the wrong place at the wrong time - but I am not sure that the police should act any differently to doctors when it comes to divulging information about people they arrest, especially if that person later turns out to be innocent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here