Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just sent to my MP, Your Thoughts Please and be Honest!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I write to you as I have an idea and feel that you would be the best person to see if this could happen. I understand that not just in the city, but throughout the Downs area the water in our homes is provided by artesian wells bored deep into the top of the hills, or the Downs.

The water that is fed from the aquifer via the boring of the well has too much pressure, and from the bore hole, the water then is fed to break tanks at various intervals. The ones I can immediately think of are at the top of Pankhust Avenue, midway down Pankhust Avenue, and then down to the back of Cobden Road.

My question is, and can this be raised with the appropriate parties is that can hydro electric drivers be put at the feed of these tanks. I should not believe that this will supply all the electricity the city needs, but it may help. That and I also would like to see small wind turbines on the top of lamp posts, again in the idea of every little may help

Yours truly,

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think you will be fobbed off. Consultants would be needed to investigate whether enough energy would be produced and whether the levels of efficiency outweigh the expenditure.

I do think we are missing a trick here. Do NOT expect a easy fight in Hove. Valerie Paynter and her cronies will not allow any sort of wind turbine without a major fight.

Still, Glyndebourne were able to gain planning permission for their mega-turbine, but then they are a private enterprise.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think you will be fobbed off. Consultants would be needed to investigate whether enough energy would be produced and whether the levels of efficiency outweigh the expenditure.

I do think we are missing a trick here. Do NOT expect a easy fight in Hove. Valerie Paynter and her cronies will not allow any sort of wind turbine without a major fight.

Still, Glyndebourne were able to gain planning permission for their mega-turbine, but then they are a private enterprise.

The beauty of this is that there will be nothing visible like a wind turbine. The turbines are essentially water wheels producing electricity.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Straight into the 'Nutter - Fob Off with Stock Reply' tray.

Oi. We do not fob people off. Especially people who have written via their MP.

In my dept they gat a bespoke reply - granted, they don't like it most times, but a resply that answers their points.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think it would work. the power required to pump the water would increase in proportion to the amount generated by the turbine. the turbine/generator would have friction to overcome, conservation of energy and all that. looked up artisan wells... maybe would work.

windmills on street furniture is an excellent idea. they should also utilise the Shoreham harbour front to generate power some how from waves/tides. all used to produce Hydrogen which can sequestered, then used to fuel a huge hydrogen cell on a more reliable basis.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I write to you as I have an idea and feel that you would be the best person to see if this could happen. I understand that not just in the city, but throughout the Downs area the water in our homes is provided by artesian wells bored deep into the top of the hills, or the Downs.

The water that is fed from the aquifer via the boring of the well has too much pressure, and from the bore hole, the water then is fed to break tanks at various intervals. The ones I can immediately think of are at the top of Pankhust Avenue, midway down Pankhust Avenue, and then down to the back of Cobden Road.

My question is, and can this be raised with the appropriate parties is that can hydro electric drivers be put at the feed of these tanks. I should not believe that this will supply all the electricity the city needs, but it may help. That and I also would like to see small wind turbines on the top of lamp posts, again in the idea of every little may help

Yours truly,

Spooky. I went to Talybont reservoir (near where I live) yesterday to look at their water turbines, as we are hoping to use a similar system to generate electricity from the river which runs through our village. The system looks very simple and cheap to set up.

The Talybont example produces around 25% of the electricity required to run the village and water treatment plant at the reservoir, selling £17,000 worth of electric back to the national grid.

So yes it is a good idea, as you say it won't power Brighton but it will help, and should be considered seriously by your MP.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only person who doesn't think Wind Turbines are that ugly? Look pretty cool in a way.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire

Yours truly,

and what about hamsters. All those little critters turning their wheels at a rate of knots. Wire them up to the National Grid I say.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this is undoubtedly the best non-football thread I have seen on here,and after having a laugh your suggestion is not that far off the mark,so send the letter although don't expect an answer as basically most MP's are thick.

wind turbines are beautiful to look at and even if they were ugly get used to them as this is all you will have left (I say you as I will probably shuffled off this mortal coil long before you have only wind power left).

there will be only MU are Arse to watch on huge screens put up where Churchill square used to be and the new Goldstone will be an interment camp for undesirables.

good luck.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Small wind turbines on top of lamp posts??

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!

What about wind turbine hats or even better wind turbine turbans. I am really on fire today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here