Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen the Goals from Yesterday....

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
's horror show. I know much has been said about the woeful back four but my word Graeme Smith in goal looks absolutely useless/ clueless. Granted I was not at the game but his flapping/ fake effort diving was piss poor. I have not seen anything in him to suggest he is a good keeper and am amazed he came with a good reputation from Scotland and magoo. Anyone else got any thoughts on this. The new Manager will need to sort this and fast.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whe you have been to a game then post your comments, but please dont slate Smith after watching 40 seconds of the game on TV.

Yeah!

If you went to the game, Normandy, you'd know thast when we were on the attack he had good posture!

Seriously, this "you weren't at the game, shut up!" argument is misused a lot. Normandy made it clear what his opinion was based on: the goals on tv. He isn't trying to give the impression he has had a full study of the player in action.

And he has given his opinion, making it clear it is on limited footage.

By all means, criticise people who pass complete judgement on the team without seeing a performance, but try to hide that they are basing it on the results page of the bbc webpage.

But don't shut down people who say "on limited evidence, this is what I think"

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
's horror show. I know much has been said about the woeful back four but my word Graeme Smith in goal looks absolutely useless/ clueless. Granted I was not at the game but his flapping/ fake effort diving was piss poor. I have not seen anything in him to suggest he is a good keeper and am amazed he came with a good reputation from Scotland and magoo. Anyone else got any thoughts on this. The new Manager will need to sort this and fast.
Even Shay Given would struggle to look good behind the defence we had on Saturday. Give the guy a chance.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

You didn't need to be at the sodding game to see that he stood absolutely NO CHANCE of stopping any of their 3 goals. Is there something wrong with your bbc iplayer?? ???

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
All 3 goals came through bennet, looks like a superb signing and is only 20!! Hopefully whoever comes in can keep his form going!
The defence was an utter shambles, but to be honest, so was theirs for a couple of the goals!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've watched that and I'm struggling to see what exactly Smith has done wrong.

He's clearly made multiple mistakes.

He's went and got himself born in Scotland rather than Holland.

He didn't join the army.

etc, etc...

:yawn:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Smith - 14 goals conceded in 3 league appearances does not inspire confidence. I thought he looked all at sea for the opener and I think Kuipers would have stopped it. Kuipers in my mind is by far the better keeper.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
First goal looked to go straight through his legs, or under his foot.
For the second goal he dives before the goal scorer even has received the pass. Then dives a second time before he has even made to shoot. He's laying on the ground because of that second dive while the hartlepool player trickles it inside and shoots into the open goal. Do you honestly see nothing wrong with that?

All 3 goals were the direct fault of players in the back 4 - Tunni for the first, a combination of Elphick & El Abd for the second and Elphick for the 3rd.

Having said that it is possible Smith could have made a better fist in terms of shot stopping which Michel is more renowned for but he was due his chance and he deserved it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Smith - 14 goals conceded in 3 league appearances does not inspire confidence. I thought he looked all at sea for the opener and I think Kuipers would have stopped it. Kuipers in my mind is by far the better keeper.

It's not like he's received any help from the 4 men in front of him is it, bare in mind a majority of those goals were when we had 10men at Huddersfield and 9 against Stockport.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
First goal looked to go straight through his legs, or under his foot.
For the second goal he dives before the goal scorer even has received the pass. Then dives a second time before he has even made to shoot. He's laying on the ground because of that second dive while the hartlepool player trickles it inside and shoots into the open goal. Do you honestly see nothing wrong with that?

1st goal - he doesn't have muchof a chance. He had to throw himself at the ball, about 6 feet away from the striker. That would have been a ridiculous miss if the striker had not buried it.

2nd goal - he anticipated a shot from the first striker, so dived to cover his goal (nothing wrong with that). He then anticipated the second guy to shoot immediatly and went to cover his goal (nothing wrong with that). There was absolutely no cover from the defence and that guy was unmarked.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i was in prime position on the North stand on Saturday, the defence allowed Hartlepool time to turn and shoot from point blank range not the keepers fault, distribution he was good and i do think he will keep his place.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Smith stood no chance, the scorers all had space and time due to the shambolic defending. Other than conceding 3 he was fine, nothing spectacular but some routine and sensible handling. In fact over 90 minutes he probably made just two minor mistakes, a sliced kick (nothing unusual there) and fudged coming for a cross. He deserves a run of games and ideally some competent defending before we can really judge him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1st goal - he doesn't have muchof a chance. He had to throw himself at the ball, about 6 feet away from the striker. That would have been a ridiculous miss if the striker had not buried it.

I perhaps should have clarified that I was looking at those clips solely with the intent of critiquing his part in the goals, showing why it isn't hard to see what he did wrong. Hindsight and all that, I guess.

I thought the first didn't look so fast or close that he couldn't have done better. In the same way Kuipers should have done better with Tranmere's first. I though it looked a similar sort of "should have stopped that".

2nd goal - he anticipated a shot from the first striker, so dived to cover his goal (nothing wrong with that). He then anticipated the second guy to shoot immediatly and went to cover his goal (nothing wrong with that). There was absolutely no cover from the defence and that guy was unmarked.

He wrongly anticipated. He was nervous and throwing himself around without paying enough attention to the action. (Again, looking at it from a crtitical point of view).

For me, he should have done better with both those goals, and to suggest he did nothing wrong is an indication of not really wanting to see anything rather than not actually seeing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here