Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just in case...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see this as a supply and demand issue.

With Charlton in League 1 and currently below us, if they want to continue to try and run buses from Sussex then good luck. Back when they were a Prem club they were offering a product we couldn't match (top quality football in a decent stadium, and at a reasonable price).

Basically this is their last shot at Sussex. From next season we will have a better stadium and, judging by Saturday's result, a better side.

On balance I wouldn't have a problem if, in a couple of years, we had a few thousand seats to fill and ran a bus service for fans in the Pompey catchment area. Similarly, if in a few years we reached the Prem and the demand was there I'd be happy to see an Albion shop open in Crawley, even if they'd made it to the football league. Neither West Ham or Spurs give a f*** about Orient, after all.

Yoda

English & European
I find it odd that people like Paul Scally are so up in arms about this when it's something that every club does.

I think the trouble he had with it was that it was FREE and from Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham & Medway. The Core of the Gills support.

Basically saying the their future generation, don't bother with your local team, come and see the premier league stars.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
No coaches from Haywards Heath? Pfft never mind, I'll just go and watch Brighton instead I suppose:shrug:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Charlton are a great club. But this blotted their copybook for me. And the adverts at Hove station. When we were on out knees the club (not the fans) tried to give us a kicking.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think the trouble he had with it was that it was FREE and from Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham & Medway. The Core of the Gills support.

I may be wrong but don't think it was ever free. £5 return when it started, I thought, now £7. You can get a train from Gillingham to Charlton (direct, no change of train) for about the same anyway, so why wasn't he kicking off at Southeastern trains for stealing his fans. To be fair, Scally is one of those tubthumbing Chairmen who wants to be bigger than his manager (see also Simon Jordan), don't fall into believing whatever toy-pram-throwing is coming out of the direction of people like that is ANYTHING to do with the good of football. It's all just to do with the good of the pencil-dicked man shouting.

The posters at Brighton station advertising Charlton season tickets circa 2000-2 (particularly when you were just back from the Gillingham wilderness) WERE hugely out of order and I said so to many people at CAFC at the time. I don't have a problem with the bus service we now run though. Don't feel you're being picked on, we ran buses from Portsmouth and Reading too at the height our our seasons in the PL sun.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I think its an excellent idea and I take my hat off to 'em. This is the sort of thing we should have been doing for the past ten years to encourage people from non traditional areas to come and see the Albion. Its marketing. Its finding new customers and making it easy for them to buy your product.

Its also another thing to hate Stanley, Bellotti and Archer for, because by ruining the local side, Charlton were able to attract people to sit on a coach up to The Valley instead of watching the Albion around the corner.

That said, I'm kind of tempted to go down to Sainsbury's next time Charlton are at home and see just what sort of people are getting on the charabanc to The Valley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just noticed that it's not a coach from Sussex but two coaches. Are there really that many Charlton fans in places like Bexhill and Lancing?

One thing I've wondered about these - what's to stop someone using them to pop up to London to do a bit of shopping? £7 is a lot cheaper than the £15 a Network Card day-return to London.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One thing I've wondered about these - what's to stop someone using them to pop up to London to do a bit of shopping? £7 is a lot cheaper than the £15 a Network Card day-return to London.

I was seeing this bird in the 70's who came from Sheffield. She travelled up with us on the old Seagull Special when we went to Brammall Lane once, just to go and see her Mum for the afternoon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not really sure why anyone's worried about it, at least not any more.

Who in their right mind is going to pay to travel all the way from Sussex to London by coach to watch lower level football than they could see at the Albion, apart from original Charlton fans, in which case they'd never consider the Albion anyway.

When they had Premier League football to offer it might have been an attraction, but I cannot imagine for one second this service will last more than another season due to Charlton's inherent crap-ness of late (and finances).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It would be highly amusing to run coaches from Hampshire once Falmer is up and running.

Pick ups from Netley, St Mary's, Southampton Central, Fratton, Portsmouth city centre, and just outside John PFC Westwood's house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here