Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Nice one. Indeed we could run a competition: what would a Cabinet Minister have to do to get sacked by Johnson?

Educating Rita
[Frank has just been officially reprimanded for being drunk while giving a lecture]

Dr. Frank Bryant: Sod them, eh, Rita! Sod them!

Rita: Will they sack you?

Dr. Frank Bryant: Good God no. That would involve making a decision. Pissed is all right. To get the sack, it would have to be rape on a grand scale. And not just with students, either. That would only amount to a slight misdemeanour. No, for dismissal it would have to be nothing less than buggering the Bursar.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Educating Rita
[Frank has just been officially reprimanded for being drunk while giving a lecture]

Dr. Frank Bryant: Sod them, eh, Rita! Sod them!

Rita: Will they sack you?

Dr. Frank Bryant: Good God no. That would involve making a decision. Pissed is all right. To get the sack, it would have to be rape on a grand scale. And not just with students, either. That would only amount to a slight misdemeanour. No, for dismissal it would have to be nothing less than buggering the Bursar.

But apparently buggering the Bursar once is insufficient if you're Michael Gove :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Really? Is there a story here? I'm a massive fan of the Govester and his fragrant missus, Sarah Vine, who writes so brilliantly for the Fail. I'd love to to know more so I can top up the scrapbook I've opened for them.

Just referring to the first time Gove stabbed Johnson in the back and made him pull out of the first Tory leadership race.

Someone I know who worked with Gove insists that the only reason Johnson still has him in the Cabinet is that Johnson is too lazy to do the work himself or find someone to replace him. To be fair, there are very few Brexit supporting Tories MPs left to appoint to Cabinet that aren't complete swivel eyed loons. They said that Johnson knows Gove will stab him in the back again, it's just a question of when.

Last edited:

Aaron31

Dec 31, 2015
Charity begins at home, no point in throwing away good money in foreign aid which never seems enough
Regards
DF

Charity begins with humans, regardless of where they come from or where they live. Borders (constructs of society) shouldn't stop us from caring for other humans.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Charity begins with humans, regardless of where they come from or where they live. Borders (constructs of society) shouldn't stop us from caring for other humans.

What he means is that charity should start with him. A work-shy scrounger who thinks he should be entitled to more cash for doing nothing. It's best to ignore him.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just referring to the first time Gove stabbed Johnson in the back and made him pull out of the first Tory leadership race.

Someone I know who worked with Gove insists that the only reason Johnson still has him in the Cabinet is that Johnson is too lazy to do the work himself or find someone to replace him. To be fair, there are very few Brexit supporting Tories MPs left to appoint to Cabinet that aren't complete swivel eyed loons. They said that Johnson knows Gove will stab him in the back again, it's just a question of when.

Gove is the slimiest politician of his generation. And just to be fair and balance things out a bit - as was Mandelson.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gove is the slimiest politician of his generation. And just to be fair and balance things out a bit - as was Mandelson.

Agree completely. Johnson's problem is that he is the only member of the cabinet who actually has any ministerial experience (Liz Truss is the next most experienced :eek:) and, if he were to go, all other MPs with ministerial experience have said they won't serve on a Johnson cabinet. He has raided the 'inexperienced MPs who voted Brexit barrel' so often there is no bottom left.

Rishi Sunak, the next big thing and tipped to take over ? He's been an MP 5 years and now has the sum total of 9 months Ministerial experience which has primarily consisted of giving away money with no idea how to get it back. Could you imagine any significant business appointing a CEO with so little experience ?

Suella Braverman, Attorney General ? Case rests m'lud.:wink:

If only somebody could have foreseen this ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surprised by the fact that no one has commented on the report on Priyti Patel's behaviour and the subsequent whitewashing by Johnson and the resignation of the standards advisor who revealed that the Ministerial Standards code had been broken by her actions ?

Is todays news what was to be expected ? If so, we who laughed at Trumps blatant lies and deceit across The Pond. are not laughing now that the standard of our government has slid down the same toilet.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Surprised by the fact that no one has commented on the report on Priyti Patel's behaviour and the subsequent whitewashing by Johnson and the resignation of the standards advisor who revealed that the Ministerial Standards code had been broken by her actions ?

Is todays news what was to be expected ? If so, we who laughed at Trumps blatant lies and deceit across The Pond. are not laughing now that the standard of our government has slid down the same toilet.

I’m surprised no one has yet mentioned the pay freeze on public workers!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

There's no point trying to reason with Ppf. He's dirt. The rest of us gave up a long time ago....we only keep him around to see what new shit he comes out with.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Patel should be gone, infact Patel's career should already be over.

But as one of Johnson's nodding dogs she is untouchable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55016076

Alas the government standards adviser resigns as Johnson fails to act. How can he stand by when there are no longer basic standards? Never thought I'd ever see this stuff in Britain..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Standards watchdog quits as Boris Johnson backs Priti Patel over bullying inquiry

The Government’s adviser on standards has quit after Boris Johnson backed Priti Patel over allegations that she bullied civil servants.

In his resignation statement, Sir Alex said: “I recognise that it is for the Prime Minister to make a judgement on whether actions by a Minister amount to a breach of the Ministerial Code, “But I feel that it is right that I should now resign from my position as the Prime Minister’s independent adviser on the Code.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/20/standards-watchdog-quits-boris-johnson-backs-priti-patel-bullying/

So the independent advisor finds her guilty of breaching the Ministerial code. Johnson sits on the report for months and then says she didn't. I'm guessing the report will be dismissed as 'fake news'.

Positively Trumpesque :nono:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nice one. Indeed we could run a competition: what would a Cabinet Minister have to do to get sacked by Johnson?

If the last week is anything to go by, "insult Carrie" seems to be about the only thing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Surprised by the fact that no one has commented on the report on Priyti Patel's behaviour and the subsequent whitewashing by Johnson and the resignation of the standards advisor who revealed that the Ministerial Standards code had been broken by her actions ?.

That’s odd.

Do you really think that anyone is surprised by Johnson’s behaviour? It’s pretty standard and entirely predictable for this government.

I suppose NSC posters are more interested in commenting on the frequent cluster****s that cost lives rather than worrying about a bully in the cabinet.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There's no point trying to reason with Ppf. He's dirt. The rest of us gave up a long time ago....we only keep him around to see what new shit he comes out with.

I mean, you say "new"...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Patel should be gone, infact Patel's career should already be over.

But as one of Johnson's nodding dogs she is untouchable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55016076

Alas the government standards adviser resigns as Johnson fails to act. How can he stand by when there are no longer basic standards? Never thought I'd ever see this stuff in Britain..

I understand that this is the first time a Minister who has (pretty clearly) transgressed the code has not been got rid of. Some the the dark arts of the game of cards have been deployed through not-too-subtle hints that she herself might have been the victim of sexism and racism.
Johnson had a chance to disassociate his regime from shoddy behaviour and chose not to. (Very popular with the grass roots is Priti. Trump is not the only politician who plays shamelessly to a diminishing base.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Standards watchdog quits as Boris Johnson backs Priti Patel over bullying inquiry

The Government’s adviser on standards has quit after Boris Johnson backed Priti Patel over allegations that she bullied civil servants.

In his resignation statement, Sir Alex said: “I recognise that it is for the Prime Minister to make a judgement on whether actions by a Minister amount to a breach of the Ministerial Code, “But I feel that it is right that I should now resign from my position as the Prime Minister’s independent adviser on the Code.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/20/standards-watchdog-quits-boris-johnson-backs-priti-patel-bullying/

So the independent advisor finds her guilty of breaching the Ministerial code. Johnson sits on the report for months and then says she didn't. I'm guessing the report will be dismissed as 'fake news'.

Positively Trumpesque :nono:

A bully and a hypocrite.

[tweet]1110846084098768897[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here