Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how awful is this government? June 2020 edition

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
whats the issue here, lack of checks or potential for unpaid loans, when everyone was demanding the government do more to help business. unsurprisingly, many businesses taking loans in this crisis would go bust anyway, so do we want government to pay out more or to have not paid out anything?

I don't disagree in essence with what the government did to help out struggling businesses, something had to happen as a short term measure. It is inevitable that some businesses will fail to repay these loans, for some sector covid is a disaster

But the checks required by the banks were so minimal for businesses to receive these loans it was open to mass fraud for criminals to exploit

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1313722257282347008[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[TWEET]1313722257282347008[/TWEET]

Oborne saw the light a year or so back. They're basically bluekip

Its no longer broad church its been hjacked by racists, oddballs and crypto-fascists. Many sensible adults have been ejected from party

A toxic mix of English nationalism and populism is the order of the day. Voted for them before, never never again in their current form.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting that Dominic Cummings, elected by no one, a member of no party, proven liar, has, according to The Times today, "instructed ministers to make no concessions" when the government's agriculture bill returns to the Commons on Monday. The matter at stake is whether the UK should accept animal welfare standards lower than our own when attempting to do trade deals. Is there anyone who can defend the grubby little clique that runs our lovely country?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Oborne saw the light a year or so back. They're basically bluekip

Its no longer broad church its been hjacked by racists, oddballs and crypto-fascists. Many sensible adults have been ejected from party

A toxic mix of English nationalism and populism is the order of the day. Voted for them before, never never again in their current form.

don't get yourself bogged down with the English nationalism buddy .......these people are cultureless money whores .....theres a big change coming.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting that Dominic Cummings, elected by no one, a member of no party, proven liar, has, according to The Times today, "instructed ministers to make no concessions" when the government's agriculture bill returns to the Commons on Monday. The matter at stake is whether the UK should accept animal welfare standards lower than our own when attempting to do trade deals. Is there anyone who can defend the grubby little clique that runs our lovely country?

Freudian slip.

[tweet]1314148342348345345[/tweet]

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
EjzwphNWoAAI9CH.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They really shouldn't let Truss out without a minder, She was on TV earlier this week and when asked for the science behind the 10.00 closing time she burbled away about it being 'logical'. Just dreadful.

Lest we forget

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

We have been accepting lower animal welfare standards from certain members of the EU for years, to the detriment of our own agricultural/farming industry. Intensive pig rearing was allowed to flourish in Northern Holland to such an extent that Dutch imports formed 80-90% of the bacon going to the UK catering sector. No one tried to stop this and British pork producers ended up with an apparently expensive niche product that only found its way into Butchers, Farm Shops and Deli's. Good quality, low volume whilst the Dutch were allowed to import millions of tonnes of inferior product and flood our market.
When the lobby grew in the EU to upgrade their animal welfare standards ( sadly lagging behind the UK )...oh...shock horror....they suddenly discovered what the Dutch were up to and forced over 3000 pig farms in the north of the country to close because of their appalling standards of animal husbandry. I could go on about Spanish and Italian methods of water injection in product and pate production in Belgium but I haven't got time. Please nobody mention chlorinated chicken from the States when we have millions of tonnes of chlorinated salad products coming in daily from Southern European countries and the majority of chicken sold through fast food outlets in this country comes from Thailand and is much more heavily chlorinated than anything from across the Pond.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We have been accepting lower animal welfare standards from certain members of the EU for years, to the detriment of our own agricultural/farming industry. Intensive pig rearing was allowed to flourish in Northern Holland to such an extent that Dutch imports formed 80-90% of the bacon going to the UK catering sector. No one tried to stop this and British pork producers ended up with an apparently expensive niche product that only found its way into Butchers, Farm Shops and Deli's. Good quality, low volume whilst the Dutch were allowed to import millions of tonnes of inferior product and flood our market.
When the lobby grew in the EU to upgrade their animal welfare standards ( sadly lagging behind the UK )...oh...shock horror....they suddenly discovered what the Dutch were up to and forced over 3000 pig farms in the north of the country to close because of their appalling standards of animal husbandry. I could go on about Spanish and Italian methods of water injection in product and pate production in Belgium but I haven't got time. Please nobody mention chlorinated chicken from the States when we have millions of tonnes of chlorinated salad products coming in daily from Southern European countries and the majority of chicken sold through fast food outlets in this country comes from Thailand and is much more heavily chlorinated than anything from across the Pond.

So, in the complete absence of any benefits to Brexit whatsoever, you are going to go into a completely unverified, unsourced rant (that you haven't got time for :lolol:), about how the EU didn't improve standards as quickly as you claim you wanted, on a totally unrelated thread which is actually about how awful the Government is that you voted into power.

Exceptional :facepalm:

Tick tock

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your apparent, unhealthy obsession with matters chronological pictures you in my mind as a John Cleese character, akin to this film.

View attachment 129314

I thought it was now accepted as a great BRITISH tradition that Brexiteers countdown to each extension with the EU. It's happened the last 3 times and I thought that in the spirit of unity, I should join in :shrug:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Who is arguing that EU animal welfare standards are good, or even as good as ours? Or even that ours are acceptable? I'm not, but you seem to be using those facts of life as mitigation for us cracking a face-saving trade deal with a country with even more deplorable levels of protection, a country that certainly isn't known for mounting the sort of animal welfare protests seen in the EU and helpfully described by you. We should be trying to influence our friends to do better, not signing deals with people who do worse.

Perhaps our LeaveUK government should refuse to allow food to be imported from other low-welfare countries (you mention Thailand) but I won't hold my breath. One things seems certain - the possibility of our parliament even discussing this will be remote as long as Cummings carries on instructing ministers to refuse concessions (I'm sure he's pushing on an open door).

You mention chlorinated salad imported from the EU. This doesn't worry me. Cruelty to radishes is way down my list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here