Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got home from Tranmere

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does unlucky encompass not doing anything about a formation that's not working and that a radio commentary team can see will lead to goals being conceded and yet the management team sit their doing nothing about it?. I'm beginning to feel the only unlucky thing about it is the manager we have.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Cox 5.5: Has not progressed in the last 6 months as we would have hoped. However, that in no way justifies the abuse he was subject to from one of our 'fans' in an England shirt for the full 90 minutes.
Glad someone bought this up was totally out of order and unjustified

he didnt have a good game ,but to keep abusing him like he did was a disgrace

What do people who were at the game make of Wilkins' post-match comments?

"We didn't make good enough decisions in the last 15 minutes to give us a chance of keeping a clean sheet".

The players' decisions? Or the manager's decisions?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just got back and im not impressed. We played well in parts and probably shaded the first half, but the second was a different story. It was allways on the cards for them to score. WTF was kuipers up to on their second goal? (a certain other keeper would have been slaughtered on here). Shame because up till then, he had a good game. We have to stop the rot and fast. If we fail to take at least 4 points from the next two back to back home games then Its Worrying time!

we have just got back, and i have to agree with you, the first half was probably just ours, regarding effort and performance wise, but i have to say, i thought we looked like a pub team after the first goal went in, why is it we go one down and the players heads go down as well !!! and the second goal was just...........well...............an embarrasment :blush:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The 2nd goal looked silly because Whing was off and Kuipers was trying to push up to get the ball back in their half. We were 1--0 down and it was worth the gamble. if it had been level at that stage then yes, kuipers should be slaughtered.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
No width, no crosses, apart from aimless hoofs from ten yards into Tranny's half, no balls to feet for the strikers, it was all over their heads.

Sounds like all the games that I've seen whenever I get back to visit the UK. What is it with the Albion.? Do our players not know what feet are or can they only see heads and just aim for them instead.?

Hoofing the ball smacks of desperation and cluelessness. Passing the ball between each other and keeping possession means that we dictate the play and the run of the game. Every time we hoof the ball to the opposition we lose that advantage. I thought that was football 101 tactics, or have things changed since I left the country.?

Yoda

English & European
Does unlucky encompass not doing anything about a formation that's not working and that a radio commentary team can see will lead to goals being conceded and yet the management team sit their doing nothing about it?. I'm beginning to feel the only unlucky thing about it is the manager we have.

If Wilkins had been in the stand like he normally is, he might have seen that too.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Thought the first half we did ok, I dont remember us having any chances of note.
We alomost played with 3 up front, but none of the 3 up front were on the same wave length.
Revell kept winning the long balls, but his flick ons werent really going to anyone.
Forster didnt really do anything of note, Savage was probably the better of the 3

Midfield was none existent, Hammond looked injured and was protecting himself by not getting stuck in like his usual self. El Abd looks like a centre back out of position, and it MUST be time for Fraser in the middle.

We ha no creativity what so ever, and i dont think we would have scored all night.
No idea on stats but i dont think we had a shot on target that caused any danger

honestly i dont think we deserved a point, and thats what we came away with, and Greenacre scored his customary goal against us

Whing at fault for the 1st goal, there were 2 defenders that made the tackle for the sending off, so he could have got away with it if the other guy took a card for the team. 2nd goal, was a sucker punch and took FOREVER to cross the line

Wilkins - THAT TANK TOP YOU WERE WEARING LOOKS GAY :safeway:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be honest IG you can only blame the referee so often can't you?

very true , and for the first hour the ref yesterday was actually decent , made fair shouts and generally let the game flow where possible

then in a half hour of madness he gave up and gave anything to anyone..

we didn't look too bad as it goes , went forward to sneak one but we were playing the same attack down the same flank so many times they knew what was coming!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Just got back to my desk in Abu Dhabi.

We matched them and even looked more likely to score in the opening half.

No goals...Defeat...but worth the 3,000 mile round trip for the 'pack it in' chant and the spinetingling sussex by the sea rendition!!!

FDM & Tank men of the match for me.

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
My first game of the season, and I think we have the basis of a good team there, but.......

1. It is painfully obvious that El-Abd is no midfielder
2. We do not have the right mix of players to use the diamond formation properly and we therefore lack width
3. In dead ball situations we are way too slow and allow the opposition defence to sort themselves out. Same with throw ins as well.
4. we are not giving enough service to the front 2
5. Passing accurancy & ball control needs to improve
6. We need to pass the ball a lot quicker, and run AT the defence, and not across them.
7 We don't give ourselves a chance at the quick break as all 11 players going back in defence. Need someone to stay near the halfway line ready to break out.

Pretty damning list of faults, but nothing that can't be corrected quickly, other than the confidence issue, which in all honesty some of the fans dont help when they abuse players constantly. Cox got a real slagging from a small number of fans at the end of the game, which IMHO he didn't deserve. Not a great game for him, but the formation didn't help. Defence was fairly solid, but midfield was pretty flaccid, and strikers kept having to drop deep to get a sniff of the ball.

I would prefer to see a 4-4-2 formation with Cox & Hammond in central Midfield with Jake & Bas on the wings.

I think we still have a chance of top 6 finish, and when we get Reid and Hinsh back to full fitness, we will have enough players to cope, although a creative midfielder and 2nd goalkeeper are a must.

:albion2:

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Why doesn't Jakeyboy get a run? Seems to me we rely to much on Coxy as the player to do anything different. Also, Revell tries hard its true but thats not enough, he needs to be able to control a ball so that it doesn't bounce 2 yards off him every time it comes to him.
Both matches I've been to this season so far, Butters has been a star. I'm not downheartened, I reckon we've got decent enough players, its just not put together right somehow at the minte.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here