Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from the Olympic Stadium

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
This is not a boast but i was there as well...Wow. Has to be the one of the greatest sporting moments i have ever witnessed. It was immense and the 'wall of sound' everyone talks about is an understatement. Louder than any football game i have ever been to, i can't put into words how incredible it was. The whole stadium cheers, seeing British world beaters and everyone swinging and singing All You Need Is Love was amazing.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
id love to have been at the Atheltics yesterday. Had goose bumps watching it and the atmosphere was unreal, even watching on tv.

I was at Wembley for the 4-2 Mexico win... and rushed home for the athletics.

Last edited:

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
How did it compare to when BHA played in the cup final?

Nothing will compare with that. When the boys walked out at the old Wembley, the massed ranks of Albion fans rose as one to acclaim a great team. That was literally hair raising.

Jul 5, 2003
I, too, was at the Olympic Park yesterday. Had gone for two early Ladies Hockey matches (Aus v S. Africa and Holland v S.Korea). Good atmosphere but nothing prepared me for when I left the Hockey Arena and made my way towards the main Athletics Stadium. We were walking past when a really loud roar went up. Had to phone home to find out what was going on inside and discovered it was only Usain Bolt being introduced to the crowd before his heat. I cannot imagine what the sound would have been like inside either at that point or during the fantastic evening which I watched at home. Would have stayed longer but some of the rain showers were quite heavy and when the sun came out it got very hot. Decided it would be better to go home and watch it all from there. Desperately want to go back before the end of the week so will be constantly on their website looking for returned tickets!

The view from the Orbit was superb. You could see the Heptathlete's Javelins flying through the air before dropping but you couldn't see them being thrown! You could also see right across London.

Epic day!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is not a boast but i was there as well...Wow. Has to be the one of the greatest sporting moments i have ever witnessed. It was immense and the 'wall of sound' everyone talks about is an understatement. Louder than any football game i have ever been to, i can't put into words how incredible it was. The whole stadium cheers, seeing British world beaters and everyone swinging and singing All You Need Is Love was amazing.

It was the one and only Olympics event I am attending - and what a one to choose. Definitely an 'I was there' occasion!

Farah for me was the highlight - Ennis already had it in the bag, the long jump was a complete surprise but a bit difficult to follow if you were in the stadium and not near where it was happening, - but for Farah to win in such superb fashion after 25 laps to make it a hat-trick of golds was unbelievable. The whole place just erupted. The women's 100m was almost an anti-climax.

Fitting too that the last medal ceremony of the evening was for Ennis - I'm not normally the most patriotic of people, but so appropriate that we got the national anthem at the end of such a remarkable night for GB athletics. Stayed behind in the stadium for a beer afterwards and the mood there and on the tube home was one of pure celebration. Even the spectators from other countries were fully appreciative and aware that they'd witnessed something truly special. What. A. Night.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
It was the one and only Olympics event I am attending - and what a one to choose. Definitely an 'I was there' occasion!

Farah for me was the highlight - Ennis already had it in the bag, the long jump was a complete surprise but a bit difficult to follow if you were in the stadium and not near where it was happening, - but for Farah to win in such superb fashion after 25 laps to make it a hat-trick of golds was unbelievable. The whole place just erupted. The women's 100m was almost an anti-climax.

Fitting too that the last medal ceremony of the evening was for Ennis - I'm not normally the most patriotic of people, but so appropriate that we got the national anthem at the end of such a remarkable night for GB athletics. Stayed behind in the stadium for a beer afterwards and the mood there and on the tube home was one of pure celebration. Even the spectators from other countries were fully appreciative and aware that they'd witnessed something truly special. What. A. Night.

Im there tomorrow night (only for the handball mind). What are the trains like on the way back? Whats the best station to go to?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Im there tomorrow night (only for the handball mind). What are the trains like on the way back? Whats the best station to go to?

If your coming / going to Brighton go to West ham via district. I can honestly say getting to victoria after the evening session +(80k+ people) was easier than getting to brighton from Withdean and far easier than wembley/liverpool/Aston Villa etc... It was a dream, a 20min walk with the crowd to the tube, the tubes are stacked to roll into west ham one after the other, got a seat as well and this was on 'super saturday' as well. Very impressed by the trasnport network.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I too thought the transport was superbly organised... I went on the javelin train from King's Cross, go every few mins. Train not packed. Took about 10-15 mins to get to Stratford, then a short walk to the park. On way back, got on the central line from Stratford. Apparently this was very busy immediately after the athlectics finished - but I stayed behind for a bit and by the time we caught it it was perfectly fine, no queues.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
If your coming / going to Brighton go to West ham via district. I can honestly say getting to victoria after the evening session +(80k+ people) was easier than getting to brighton from Withdean and far easier than wembley/liverpool/Aston Villa etc... It was a dream, a 20min walk with the crowd to the tube, the tubes are stacked to roll into west ham one after the other, got a seat as well and this was on 'super saturday' as well. Very impressed by the trasnport network.

Cheers. Coming from Three Bridges. Would have thought best option would be to go to London Bridge and get the Dockland Light R line to Stratford. Much less stations to go through. Also a quicker option could be central line to Stratford via Bank

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
In terms of a personal feeling of anticipation and excitement the Cup Final would be better but obviously the result wasn't the best . But what couldn't be surpassed last night was the results - I left home knowing Jess Ennis was pretty nailed on for a Gold, hoped that Mo could do it but didn't have any expectation of the Long Jump and when Dai Greene struggled in the first race I thought things might go wrong all evening. The other comparison was the atmosphere - in the cup final being amongst 30,000 Albion fans cheering the team on for what has been a "one -off" so far has lived with me forever but being amongst an 80,000 crowd - 95 % of whom were Brits screaming support was a noise I have never expereinced in any football stadium.
I am still buzzing this morning that I was privileged to be present at the greatest night for British athletics in modern times. I have always loved the Olympics since I was young and this has been a dream fulfilled in a way I could never have thought possible.
The volleyball on Tuesday is going to be a bit of an anti-climax.

Out of interest what were your emotions like ? Kept it altogether or did you get a 'lump in the throat' ? By heavens i can't sit and watch some of this i have to stand.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In terms of a personal feeling of anticipation and excitement the Cup Final would be better but obviously the result wasn't the best . But what couldn't be surpassed last night was the results - I left home knowing Jess Ennis was pretty nailed on for a Gold, hoped that Mo could do it but didn't have any expectation of the Long Jump and when Dai Greene struggled in the first race I thought things might go wrong all evening. The other comparison was the atmosphere - in the cup final being amongst 30,000 Albion fans cheering the team on for what has been a "one -off" so far has lived with me forever but being amongst an 80,000 crowd - 95 % of whom were Brits screaming support was a noise I have never expereinced in any football stadium.
I am still buzzing this morning that I was privileged to be present at the greatest night for British athletics in modern times. I have always loved the Olympics since I was young and this has been a dream fulfilled in a way I could never have thought possible.
The volleyball on Tuesday is going to be a bit of an anti-climax.

you are one lucky chap
i cant remember ever hearing that level of sustained noise for any sporting event i have ever witnessed on television.
anyone who goes to a sporting event knows the noise is much louder in real life than on TV.
that stadium must have sounded like concorde taking off in the row behind you.......and simultaneously in front of you as well for that matter

Out of interest what were your emotions like ? Kept it altogether or did you get a 'lump in the throat' ? By heavens i can't sit and watch some of this i have to stand.

I am not an emotional person and to be honest it all felt a bit surreal rather than overwhelming. I stood and clapped with everyone else but left the screaming to others - my wife had lost her voice yesterday morning - no jokes allowed. I recently started suffering with Tinitus and my ears were hurting from the noise around me at the end of the 10,000 metres it was so loud.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
My girlfriend suffers from tinitus as well it's so noisy in west upper (H block) at the Amex that she wears ear plugs the other alternative I said was to move seats to the north stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here