Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from the game thread

Moosedog

Jul 30, 2012
The Barnes incident was very odd. Firstly he was half tackled the ball went out, both players were on the ground about a metre apart. Barnes appealed for a corner, it wasn't, the Watford player jumped up and attempted to wrestle Barnes to his feet by his neck, Barnes grabbed hold of the Watford's player's leg and sort of slam dunked him to the ground. The Watford player was the one who lost it, for no reason at all. Funny thing was the game re-started with Watford keeper taking a free-kick outside the 6 yard box, WHY? Possibly the ref missed it as he was running up field.

It wasn't quite as you report, Barnes went down looking for a penalty and was appealing for one, Pudil tried to pull him up by his shirt and Barnes went ape, he grabbed Pudil and throw him to the ground and according to the laws of the game it is classified as violent conduct and a straight red it wasn't a difficult decision to make but nothing surprised me with that official

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
although Buckley looked very sharp and was defiantly our biggest threat going forward.

Very impressed with the way Bridge and Buckley linked up down the left. Reckon that could get us a few goals this season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It wasn't quite as you report, Barnes went down looking for a penalty and was appealing for one, Pudil tried to pull him up by his shirt and Barnes went ape, he grabbed Pudil and throw him to the ground and according to the laws of the game it is classified as violent conduct and a straight red it wasn't a difficult decision to make but nothing surprised me with that official

It happened in front of me and I was only 6 rows from the front. I've even just called my mate I was with and he said the same as me. Barnes wasn't looking for a penalty (unusual I know) but pointed to the corner flag. Pudil tried pull him up by the shirt yes but from his neck, I think I might react! He grabbed Pudil by his leg and lifted him up. Doesn't really matter but clearly the first violent conduct was perpetrated by Pudil.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very impressed with the way Bridge and Buckley linked up down the left. Reckon that could get us a few goals this season.
But did Buckley only get into the game once he'd been swapped and Orlandi was put on Poodle.
Thereby nullifying Watford's only genuine attacking outlet.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It happened in front of me and I was only 6 rows from the front. I've even just called my mate I was with and he said the same as me. Barnes wasn't looking for a penalty (unusual I know) but pointed to the corner flag. Pudil tried pull him up by the shirt yes but from his neck, I think I might react! He grabbed Pudil by his leg and lifted him up. Doesn't really matter but clearly the first violent conduct was perpetrated by Pudil.

Isn't the fact that Pudil started it irrelevant? OK in the sense that the ref should have sent both off it isn't, but flinging the bloke to the ground is a red card I'd have thought.

It's the one aspect of his game that has me cringing. I don't reckon it's excusable because he contributes well elsewhere and it'll cost us points if he doesn't grow up a bit

Moosedog

Jul 30, 2012
pulling a shirt is not violent conduct, as the ball had already left the field of play effectively play is dead so a penalty can not be awarded so I agree Pudil may have warranted a caution, retaliation is no defence and throwing a player to the ground is violent conduct and a red not a yellow, you can dress it up how you like but the referee made an error

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Isn't the fact that Pudil started it irrelevant? OK in the sense that the ref should have sent both off it isn't, but flinging the bloke to the ground is a red card I'd have thought.

It's the one aspect of his game that has me cringing. I don't reckon it's excusable because he contributes well elsewhere and it'll cost us points if he doesn't grow up a bit

Make that one of - Inexcusable for any Albion player to behave so. He should have allowed himself to be pulled up whence then he should have fallen down, no reaction, opposition player sent off - Albion one player up.

Ashley has a very hot temperament and there were similar circumstances like Burnley last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he will be shipped out on loan.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
pulling a shirt is not violent conduct, as the ball had already left the field of play effectively play is dead so a penalty can not be awarded so I agree Pudil may have warranted a caution, retaliation is no defence and throwing a player to the ground is violent conduct and a red not a yellow, you can dress it up how you like but the referee made an error

What bollocks he was fecking strangling Barnes with it. He pulled him up with his hand round Barnes' neck hardly a little tug. I'm no Barnes fan but would have thought any player might react to that.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'm really not sure what your point is?

Barnes has been decent all season, and was decent when he came on last night. Most people (including Gus) are happy with that.
My point is that the comments on here are taking a familiar turn to those that went before.... some of you on here, perhaps even you HKFC, put Barnes above CMS, now the other two players I mentioned are starting to get similar treatment.... Barnes for me is getting carried, the odd header and tackle doesnt warrant him a place, and most telling of all, he had a good shot opportunity,... "missed",... that sounds familiar too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Oh well, we won, you lost....it doesn't really matter, its only football.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My point is that the comments on here are taking a familiar turn to those that went before.... some of you on here, perhaps even you HKFC, put Barnes above CMS, now the other two players I mentioned are starting to get similar treatment.... Barnes for me is getting carried, the odd header and tackle doesnt warrant him a place, and most telling of all, he had a good shot opportunity,... "missed",... that sounds familiar too.
Oh Barnsey we love you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Its Gus that constantly picks him, not me or any others. As it goes, I mostly agree with him.

Playing Orlandi in place of him last night was a mistake imo. That doesn't mean I think Barnes is a better player than Orlandi, though. They are such different players that a direct comparison is a bit pointless. Its more about choosing the right player for the right situation. Last night was a bit of a battle. Barnes is useful in a battle. Orlandi less so.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its Gus that constantly picks him, not me or any others. As it goes, I mostly agree with him.

Playing Orlandi in place of him last night was a mistake imo. That doesn't mean I think Barnes is a better player than Orlandi, though. They are such different players that a direct comparison is a bit pointless. Its more about choosing the right player for the right situation. Last night was a bit of a battle. Barnes is useful in a battle. Orlandi less so.

A guy I work with - a Swansea fan - reckless Orlandi nearly always goes missing when the going gets tough. We will see though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

A guy I work with - a Swansea fan - reckless Orlandi nearly always goes missing when the going gets tough. We will see though.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Last night was in it's way, as encouraging as last Fri. When we play like we did last week we will be a match for anyone in this division. Fact is though, we won't play like that 46 times in a season. Winning leagues or gaining promotion is all about winning without playing well. I think we need probably to win 12 ish way games to get into the top two. We already have two and both at places we lost at last season...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
According to match reports it was Pudil who fouled CMS for our penalty but for some reason didn't get a yellow. So he was very lucky as the later incident with Barnes should have meant a 2nd yellow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our penalty was dodgy IMHO.

I thought that but then not one Watford player complained when given which usually says it all. What I did like was CMS grabbed the ball instantly to take it, the sign of man in form with bags of confidence.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Both players should have got red cards in my view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here