Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from the game thread

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Agreed, A game we would easily lost last season. In the book 1-0 simples. We are a stronger outfit than last, i am delighted we won ugly,luckily etc. There will be games we lose playing well, so letsa take it. Millwall struggling at the moment, so hofefully a good time to go there on saturday and win. Not sure they are capable of playing the same pressing game, and they are short of confidence.

Not necessarily actually lost, but almost certainly surrendered the lead by sitting back, and them getting a lucky breakthrough. Forest game for example.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I know it's a game of opinions but Barnes didn't dive, he was wrestled to the ground and held down. When he got up, he reacted angrily which got a well deserved booking. He won headers in the air that Orlandi couldn't manage, tackled and won the ball and got through to have a shot on goal himself.

He is still surplas to requirements inho.... January departure.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He put a in a shift in a position he probably wouldn't be comfortable with and you have to give him credit for that

However there was a couple of occasions when you could see he wasn't happy... Was it because of where he was playing ? Or the fact he was benched ? Only he would know that.

He wasn't wrestled to the ground, and maybe I'm a bit harsh in saying he dived but Barnes has a habit of slowing down in those positions and looking for the foul from behind, he did it against Cardiff earlier this season.

As for the booking, in my opinion it was a red. And if an opposing player did that we would be calling for a red

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Perhaps last night will make it clear to Gus that we DO need the target man sooner rather than later. Warren Aspinall mentioned that they are still looking, as he's part of the scouting team. Aspinall also said that they're looking at players similar to Iwelumo, but more mobile.

I didn't attend last night, but it sounded like Iwelumo won just about everything in the air last night, and gave Watford that extra dimension.

The same Iwelumo who was not good enough for this League according to Magoo?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
He put a in a shift in a position he probably wouldn't be comfortable with and you have to give him credit for that

However there was a couple of occasions when you could see he wasn't happy... Was it because of where he was playing ? Or the fact he was benched ? Only he would know that.

He wasn't wrestled to the ground, and maybe I'm a bit harsh in saying he dived but Barnes has a habit of slowing down in those positions and looking for the foul from behind, he did it against Cardiff earlier this season.

As for the booking, in my opinion it was a red. And if an opposing player did that we would be calling for a red

If Barnes can't control his temper, he shouldn't play. We need assets on the pitch rather than potential liabilities although given how poorly Orlandi played I can understand why Barnes might have been a bit fed up at being dropped to the bench.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Barnes is always pissed off at something/everything though. If wind-up merchant Adam El-Abd was on the opposing team he'd have him sent off in minutes. He should change his name to ANGRY BARNES.

Although to be fair I'd rather players cared too much about results/playing well/keeping their place in the team than too little.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If we look for a target man, who do we drop to fit him in?

I take it that with the plethora of midfielders Gus has invested in and macca not being sold, that is not his priority and I am not sure how he would change his style for this

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Purely on last night can't see how a "target man" helps, the problem with last night was that our midfield caved in and we let Watford have the ball and tried to barricade our back line and simply allowed them to put us under tremendous pressure.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Kuszczak was excellent, really solid performance, makes the right decisions on crosses and must give the defenders a lot of confidence.

The back four were all good, AEA was outstanding though.

Midfield three looked solid enough without really dominating. We defended so deep in the second half that they were pinned about 10 yards in front of the back four for most of the game. I like the way Hammond gets forward, he should have done better with the chance he had in the first half and had Buckley's pass been a foot closer to him he'd have scored in the second.

Buckley was a big threat going forward in the first half and I thought he put in a really good defensive shift in the second. CMS was great as usual, we look a different team when he went off.

Orlandi was really poor, not involved enough and very wasteful when he was. Didn't offer anything defensively either, Barnes at least tracked back and won a lot of headers when we were trying to hold the ball up later on. He really needs to control his temper though, no idea how he didn't get sent off.

Credit to the officials for getting the big calls right, my Watford supporting mate said none of theirs were penalties and I thought ours definitely was, but they made a lot of very strange decisions. How that linesman is officiating in the football league is a mystery, he didn't even spot Greer's (?) clearance going out and curling back in, despite the ball nearly landing in the TV gantry.

I know it's early days but Dobbie looks completely unable to play the lone striker role. No physical presence, poor first touch, little pace, even less effort. Might offer more as a second striker when we are chasing a game but would rather see Barnes playing that central role if CMS has to come off.

Finally, Watford's "support" is an embarrassment, barely heard a peep from them all game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kuszczak was excellent, really solid performance, makes the right decisions on crosses and must give the defenders a lot of confidence.

Midfield three looked solid enough without really dominating. We defended so deep in the second half that they were pinned about 10 yards in front of the back four for most of the game. I like the way Hammond gets forward, he should have done better with the chance he had in the first half and had Buckley's pass been a foot closer to him he'd have scored in the second.

Buckley was a big threat going forward in the first half and I thought he put in a really good defensive shift in the second. CMS was great as usual, we look a different team when he went off.

Orlandi was really poor, not involved enough and very wasteful when he was. Didn't offer anything defensively either, Barnes at least tracked back and won a lot of headers when we were trying to hold the ball up later on. He really needs to control his temper though, no idea how he didn't get sent off.

Credit to the officials for getting the big calls right, my Watford supporting mate said none of theirs were penalties and I thought ours definitely was, but they made a lot of very strange decisions. How that linesman is officiating in the football league is a mystery, he didn't even spot Greer's (?) clearance going out and curling back in, despite the ball nearly landing in the TV gantry.

I know it's early days but Dobbie looks completely unable to play the lone striker role. No physical presence, poor first touch, little pace, even less effort. Might offer more as a second striker when we are chasing a game but would rather see Barnes playing that central role if CMS has to come off.

Finally, Watford's "support" is an embarrassment, barely heard a peep from them all game.

Excellent summary. Agree with every word of that.

For me GREER changed the course of the game, in about the 20th minute. Until then, we were under a lot of pressure, as high balls came in, and Iwelumo used his strength to hold off his marker, and either head or chest it down to the players on the edge of the box. Then, eventually Greer thought "I'm not having this any more" and the next one that came in, he POWERED past big Chris, and won a thumping header. From then on (until the late onslaught) Watford looked toothless.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

Excellent summary. Agree with every word of that.

For me GREER changed the course of the game, in about the 20th minute. Until then, we were under a lot of pressure, as high balls came in, and Iwelumo used his strength to hold off his marker, and either head or chest it down to the players on the edge of the box. Then, eventually Greer thought "I'm not having this any more" and the next one that came in, he POWERED past big Chris, and won a thumping header. From then on (until the late onslaught) Watford looked toothless.

totaly agree with both

Watford4ever

Jan 9, 2011
Not sure we deserved to lose but you did have the better chances and had more end product for all the nice football we played at times.

Very good support as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure we deserved to lose but you did have the better chances and had more end product for all the nice football we played at times.

Cheers.

Fair summary. You did have plenty of the ball, and look a much better side than last year, but it was us who had the clear chances.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

There was a Watford fan on TalkSport that made bit of a plonker out of himself after the game.

Apaprently Barnes PUNCHED your player, the referee missed STONEWALL penalties for you, and gave us EVERY foul.

Also apparently it was a VERY one sided game (possession was down as 50/50) :lol:

I thought you did OK, a point might have been fair, but no way did you deserve to win it

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
What, that's EXACTLY what Aspinall said.

It comes to something when people don't agree with what they heard.

You sir, are very wrong on this,

Glad I didnt imagine it. Thought I was going mad for a minute there.

Interesting though how those at the game thought Orlandi had a poor game.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There was a Watford fan on TalkSport that made bit of a plonker out of himself after the game.

Apaprently Barnes PUNCHED your player, the referee missed STONEWALL penalties for you, and gave us EVERY foul.

Also apparently it was a VERY one sided game (possession was down as 50/50) :lol:

I thought you did OK, a point might have been fair, but no way did you deserve to win it

The Barnes incident was very odd. Firstly he was half tackled the ball went out, both players were on the ground about a metre apart. Barnes appealed for a corner, it wasn't, the Watford player jumped up and attempted to wrestle Barnes to his feet by his neck, Barnes grabbed hold of the Watford's player's leg and sort of slam dunked him to the ground. The Watford player was the one who lost it, for no reason at all. Funny thing was the game re-started with Watford keeper taking a free-kick outside the 6 yard box, WHY? Possibly the ref missed it as he was running up field.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes supporters used to make it a Barnes vs Cms competition, now that issue has been settled, they are making it a Barnes vs Dobbie... or even a Barnes vs Orlandi issue...... they will learn eventually.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes supporters used to make it a Barnes vs Cms competition, now that issue has been settled, they are making it a Barnes vs Dobbie... or even a Barnes vs Orlandi issue...... they will learn eventually.

I'm really not sure what your point is?

Barnes has been decent all season, and was decent when he came on last night. Most people (including Gus) are happy with that.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Mom for me was El-Abd although Buckley looked very sharp and was defiantly our biggest threat going forward. Bridcutt had a poor game by his usual high standards but I think that nobody played to their full ability. Kusczcak was a brick wall in the goal and I think he'll be the difference between 5 places or so

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here