Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from Oldham

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just got back to friends house from the game.

Great performance and to be honest we could easily have won.

Penalty was a penalty I'm afraid (imho). The guy did throw himself down quite drmatically but the tackle was late (by Virgo I think). Virgo was then stupid to barge into the guy in full view of the ref and get a booking.

Virgo played well but was a man possessed in his one man mission to try and kill Lee Hughes!!

Great equalizer by Murray against the run of play.

Forster could have scored at end of first half but keeper made a good save.

Virgo sent off for stupid foul at very start of second half.

From then on we played VERY well. El Abd moved to defence and him and Hawkins were superb. For those that say Hawkins is shit you did not see him play today - Had a great game.

Kuipers made some great saves second half and kept us in the game but to be honest we looked just as likely to score.

Johnson began to take control of the midfield second half and had a couple of decent pot shots from the edge of the box. Forster mis-controlled in a good area before great work set up waht looked like a sitter for Fleetwood with 5 mins left. Any touch and it would have been a goal.

Oldham pushed but did not really look like scoring against a well organized and hard working Brighton team.

Forster spent most of the last 3 minutes waving goodbye to the Oldham fans that were sneaking off early!

Pretty much spot on, apart from the penalty and sending off, IMO!

Pretty useless tackle from Virgo, but was so far away from the ball AND the man, and then the dramatic dive meant that when the ref whistled, I was certain it was to book the bloke for diving - he looked very unsure. Stupid of Virgs to then get himself booked, but the 2nd booking looked quite inocuous as well - caught a bit of the man and the ball as he was getting away, bearing in mind their player got away with nothing for a cynical trip on either Forster, Fleedwood or Johnson (can't remember) in full attacking flight with a 2v2.

Having said that, they seemed to attack more when we went down to 10-men and we seemed to use the space well - might have been a game for Anyinsah, Thornton or even Mcleod though?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just got back to friends house from the game.

Great performance and to be honest we could easily have won.

Penalty was a penalty I'm afraid (imho). The guy did throw himself down quite drmatically but the tackle was late (by Virgo I think). Virgo was then stupid to barge into the guy in full view of the ref and get a booking.

Virgo played well but was a man possessed in his one man mission to try and kill Lee Hughes!!

Great equalizer by Murray against the run of play.

Forster could have scored at end of first half but keeper made a good save.

Virgo sent off for stupid foul at very start of second half.

From then on we played VERY well. El Abd moved to defence and him and Hawkins were superb. For those that say Hawkins is shit you did not see him play today - Had a great game.

Kuipers made some great saves second half and kept us in the game but to be honest we looked just as likely to score.

Johnson began to take control of the midfield second half and had a couple of decent pot shots from the edge of the box. Forster mis-controlled in a good area before great work set up waht looked like a sitter for Fleetwood with 5 mins left. Any touch and it would have been a goal.

Oldham pushed but did not really look like scoring against a well organized and hard working Brighton team.

Forster spent most of the last 3 minutes waving goodbye to the Oldham fans that were sneaking off early!

great report
good you should mention the Hawk IMHO he came back to early from his hernia op up until that op he was playing a blinder most matches (according to the commentaries that is)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having watched The Championship I am not convinced it was or wasnt a penalty, what I am sure of is that the ref should have ordered the kick to have been retaken as the player definitely stopped in his run up which is against the rules of the game relating to penalty kicks which must be 1 distinct movement.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Having watched The Championship I am not convinced it was or wasnt a penalty, what I am sure of is that the ref should have ordered the kick to have been retaken as the player definitely stopped in his run up which is against the rules of the game relating to penalty kicks which must be 1 distinct movement.

Shall we ask for all of Leon Knight's to be chalked off too then? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 wrongs do not make a right so as the rules say it must be 1 continuous movement it is illegal if a player stops and should be ruled out irrespective of who is taking the kick. The reason for doing it is to get the goalkeeper to move and then slot the ball in which however you look at it is seeking an unfair advantage.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
If you see it on the Championship or on the VM highlights you will see it was a dive.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Shall we ask for all of Leon Knight's to be chalked off too then? ???

Oh don't remind me, it ruined the Cardiff experience for me! Everyone was cheering, I was just thinking, he's going to disallow it, he's going to disallow it. I hate that little runt.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Hawkins was far from excellent yesterday, and made a few mistakes which could have been punished if he wasn't covered so well by Virgo, and then later El-Abd (who was outstanding in my opinion). Steve Thomson was very good yesterday, best I've seen him play this season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you see it on the Championship or on the VM highlights you will see it was a dive.
I thought the Oldham player was going to be booked for simulation as the ref blew his whistle , he hesitated and then pointed to the spot. From the back of the stand it looked like a blatant dive worthy of an olympian. On the TV highlights which showed it from a different angle it definately looks to me as if he started to dive just before Virgs tries to put in the tackle and has conned the referee which also explains why FDM went absolutely apeshit at the time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Hawk and Kebab both put in good performances yesterday compared to what we've recently seen from them.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not what I saw. I saw Virgo carelessly sticking his leg out in front of a player who was going to beat him. That makes it a penalty. Maybe he made the most of the opportunity, doesn't mean it wasn't a very clumsy challenge (or a foul). And given that Nicky Forster does it to defenders most weeks when they ever lay a hand on him or a foot in front of him it is a bit churlish to complain about that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeah , but Foz did get into the box in the 2nd half and went to ground after being bundled off the ball , some refs would give a penno for that but it got waved on as the ref didn't want to make another controversial decision

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I thought it was a good point but..

Kuipers had to make 4 or 5 very good saves, if one of them had gone in we could have got a tonking.
Whing looked well iffy at right back, and his hoofing was utter shite.

our midfield was terrible. Cox was utter gash, far too lightweight, and did nothing with the ball.
Thompson and johnson showed very little willingness to hold onto the ball and just tried to get rid of it as fast as possible.
although thompson did do a sublime pass to foster I think.

fleetwood was absolute cack as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here