Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from Huddersfield. My thoughts on todays game

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Well another three points dropped. Interesting to see Gus in his post match interview saying we should have won the game. On chances alone id have to agree but that doesnt always tell the full story.

Personally i felt we were under par again today. Although perhaps that is more to do with raised expectations after the performances we have seen at the likes of Charlton and Peterborough.

I never fancied us to win this even when we went one up to be honest. Gus clearly needs a plan B because this passing it around the back waiting for something to open up is not working anymore. Time and time again it went back to Ankergran and there was nothing on forcing him to go long. Very frustrating as playing this way has got us where we are now but teams seemed to have sussed it out.

Positives from today. Murray was absolutely outstanding. Ok he missed a penalty but made amends with a well taken goal. His hold up play today was first class. All he needed was a bit more protection from the ref who was an absolute discrace i might add. Big stadium syndrome again and these refs need to be stronger. Should have sent there man off leading to the penalty. Murray was one and one and there last man sent him tumbling.

Overall it wasnt our best performance of the season but i still felt a point would have been the right result. Although i think we are missing Lua Lua massively. We need at least 2 more signings for a big push towards The Championship. I know were top but with what we've got now i can see us slipping into the play-offs. A decent replacement for Lua Lua and a striker should see us go up automatically IMO.

We've had a tough run of games recently but its still pretty positive. If we can stay top by the end of Dec we have a great chance looking at our 6 fixtures in January.

oxfordseagull

Nov 29, 2010
Oxford from the South
Fair play I didn't go, but to me Sandaza and Murray seem the obvious choice? Fran in the box, clever lay offs from Glen seems obvious? I feel very loyal to our forwards paritculary Glen but...if we are going to win the league/promotion just need to blow everything and get a finisher, but I see the point in not blowing the budget, so confused, seems to me if noone is great we have a chance?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm told by a work colleague who is a Plymouth fan and attended their deby game today against Exeter that Noone was absolutely outstanding and ran the show against their rivals. It looks as if we may have bought a damn good player assuming the rumours are to beleived. Most of the Plymouth fams seem to think he is on his way to us in the New Year. Let's hope so.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Just got back and f***ing pissed off as work mate is a Hudds fan and had to listen to him gloating the whole way down. Also had a neutral work mate there so was interesting to hear his thoughts.

Both of them and I agree thought our front two were excellent. After a few indifferent displays Wood really looked good today. Murray was on another level, superb.

Typical nigly high pressure high stakes game with some late challenges from both sides and some theatrics to boot. They didn't really create much in open play and Greer was superb at the back. Bridcutt was brilliant covering so much ground just in front of the back 4 going left and right non-stop as they kept switching the play. Bennett was excellent going forward and looked dangerous.

Not the pretiest of games but we had spells where we played some good passing football. It's been a tough few weeks with Southampton and Huddersfield back to back away in the league but I certainly see no signs of us collapsing at all. Hopefully get back on track now and get some wins in the bag to keep pushing on at the top.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
The guy at the ground on the PA said 854, but there looked to be well over 1k there.

Murray and Bridcutt were immense today - couldn't fault them. Dicker however looked hopelessly out of sorts - hope this is just a one-off, as I think he's a decent player normally.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Every Huddersfield player went down like they had been shot anytime any Brighton player (or the ball) got within 2 yards of them.
Lost count how many times they had a player go down clutching their face.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A few thoughts.

They were first to the ball. It just looked like they wanted it more.

If you play two big forwards up front - the temptation is there to go long. We play the passing game best when we have five in midfield.

The passing game was not there today. There is a rhythm to our passing when it is working - but we only seem to be able to get it working when we start from the back. If they press us, plus having a player less in midfield, leads to the ball going long.

Play two bigguns up front - tha ball follows.

Our squad does not have the necessary depth. Players that looked ok against FCUM did not cut the mustard today.

If you miss your penalties - you don't deserve to win.

Acetripper

Apr 23, 2009
Okay, here's a Terriers view.:D

I thought it was a very good game played by two excellent teams with Brighton being without doubt the best team we've played this season. I'm convinced we'll both be in the Championship next season because overall the game was way above League One level.

In the first ten minutes Brighton hardly had a look in and were penned back in the final quarter of the pitch by attack after attack. We should have made it count while we had the ascendancy because Brighton seemed to grow stronger by the minute as the half progressed with some neat passing football. I couldn't see the penalty offence because it was up the other end of the pitch but watching it on TV, it looked like one of those you sometimes get and sometimes don't. I thought Clarke touched the ball in fact but anyway, your lad fashioned to miss it!

At halftime I'll be honest, I thought Brighton were going to go on and win the match, I really was impressed. As the second half opened Brighton's midfield looked strong and lightening quick attacks right from the back were causing us some serious problems. I commented to my mate that Brighton play very much like we do with a high tempo, quick passing movements and running at defenders. It was good to watch from both teams I thought.

The first two goals set the game alight but I still had a feeling Brighton were going to on and knick the points. Where the ref got five minutes of added time from I'll never know unless he added the time Casper wasted, pissing about. I don't condone our crowd abusing him but he made a meal out of every situation - until we scored the second that is.

In fairness, there was stroke of luck about our second goal because either team could have won the game in fact. The shenanigans at the end were unfortunate because all in all the game was a terrific advert for League One football. Obviously I'm not complaining, because on another day you would have won the game.

Good Luck to Brighton & Hove Albion! See you next season!:bigwave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My thoughts after a good day out are simple:

It will be a huge disappointment if we miss out on an automatic promotion spot due to continuous missing of penalties.

Acetripper

Apr 23, 2009
My thoughts after a good day out are simple:

It will be a huge disappointment if we miss out on an automatic promotion spot due to continuous missing of penalties.

If you continue to play like that you'll be promoted mate - No worirres! The only thing I noticed was - comparing both teams to Norwich City who were far and away the best team last season, both our defences have to improve massively. Otherwise we'll be straight back down again.:cool:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I think this is a pretty good summation. We were under the cosh a bit at the beginning but worked our way back into it. There was some good football played by both sides and as acetripper says it was of a higher quality than your average league one game(or at least the average league one game that I remember. I think they had more of the ball but we had the better chances and really should have been 1 up at the break- we must be getting close to a record for the number of penalties we've missed this season.

Disappointing to lose but I was quite encouraged by the performance. Going on the two other games I've seen streamed this season-bournemouth and FCUM- this was our best performance. So, if this was us playing below par -as some people have suggested- then we have a good chance of getting promoted. Murray was excellent(apart from the soft penalty) and Bridcutt(or birdcott/didcott as the streaming commentator liked to call him) looked a decent player.

It was also a bit of a compliment how they seemed to view it as a massive win as opposed to being only the 19th game of the season. when was the last time one of the pre-season favourites for promotion treated a home win against Brighton in early december like that? A sign of how far this team has come in the last 12 months or so.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you continue to play like that you'll be promoted mate - No worirres! The only thing I noticed was - comparing both teams to Norwich City who were far and away the best team last season, both our defences have to improve massively. Otherwise we'll be straight back down again.:cool:

I hope so however it has cost us several points already this season.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I'd agree we are no where near the quality that Norwich were last season - but there is plenty of time to improve. Our defnce was poor and i did feel that an improvement in that area would have seen us take the points.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I hope so however it has cost us several points already this season.

Actually, despite all our misses, the only one that clearly cost us points was v Southampton. The other misses were in cups, or games we won (peterborough), and yesterday. Did yesterday's miss cost us points? We didn't concede v southampton so can say with a certain degree of certainty scoring that penalty would have won it for us, whereas yesterday the penalty would have put us 1-0 up. We later went 1-0 up and didn't hold on, so we can't guarantee scoring the penalty would have given us any points yesterday.

Even if you argue it would have given us the draw, it's "only" three points, despite 5 saved penalties. Perhaps not as dire as it can seem.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

I thought it was a very good game played by two excellent teams with Brighton being without doubt the best team we've played this season. I'm convinced we'll both be in the Championship next season because overall the game was way above League One level.

In the first ten minutes Brighton hardly had a look in and were penned back in the final quarter of the pitch by attack after attack. We should have made it count while we had the ascendancy because Brighton seemed to grow stronger by the minute as the half progressed with some neat passing football. I couldn't see the penalty offence because it was up the other end of the pitch but watching it on TV, it looked like one of those you sometimes get and sometimes don't. I thought Clarke touched the ball in fact but anyway, your lad fashioned to miss it!

At halftime I'll be honest, I thought Brighton were going to go on and win the match, I really was impressed. As the second half opened Brighton's midfield looked strong and lightening quick attacks right from the back were causing us some serious problems. I commented to my mate that Brighton play very much like we do with a high tempo, quick passing movements and running at defenders. It was good to watch from both teams I thought.

The first two goals set the game alight but I still had a feeling Brighton were going to on and knick the points. Where the ref got five minutes of added time from I'll never know unless he added the time Casper wasted, pissing about. I don't condone our crowd abusing him but he made a meal out of every situation - until we scored the second that is.

In fairness, there was stroke of luck about our second goal because either team could have won the game in fact. The shenanigans at the end were unfortunate because all in all the game was a terrific advert for League One football. Obviously I'm not complaining, because on another day you would have won the game.

Good Luck to Brighton & Hove Albion! See you next season!:bigwave:

Good post - cheers chap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here