Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got an Iphone...help required.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> Scroll down -> Import SIM Contacts.

Word of advice, keep the firmware and iPhone software up to date (iTunes should do this automatically. 2.2 is the latest version of the software and it fixes as well as adds allot of things and quite a few of the newer apps in the app store require it).

Sync your contacts once first off locally as well as a web based service. If you are going to take up Apple's kind offer to trial MobileMe be warned if your trial runs out and you don't take up the service, if your phone still set up to sync over the air it will remove all your contacts (yes, I know, f***ing retarded). Worst still if you then pay to join to get them back they don't keep data from trial accounts!!

Also don't sync the phone with more than one machine unless you've configured iTunes correctly first as it will remove any apps it doesn't already know about and the only way to get them back is to get then from the app store again (you don't have to pay again - assuming you've logged in using the same account as the one you bought them from - just more of a pain in the arse).

Other than that have fun. Best phone I've ever owned by a country mile.

I can recommend:

Shazam
TV Plus
MyRail Lite
Super Monkey Ball
Maze Finger
HoldEm
21 Pro

Somebody giving useful advice, nice one :)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I would recommend the following book :
"iPhone UK - the missing manual" by David Pogue.
This is absolutely invaluable - yes it's quite dear (£14.99) but what's fifteen quid when the phone is £350 sim free. Well worth it.
As for apps if you like word games "Wordpops" and "Wordsworth" are good.
My phone went tits up the other day but you just have to go through "Restore" on iTunes.
Battery life is pretty good really and the phone is amazing. Love it to bits.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My phone went tits up the other day but you just have to go through "Restore" on iTunes
Mine went wrong the other day too, but would not restore.
I'm well impressed with Apple though, They have had it collected by UPS the very next daywith proper packaging and everything, Checked that I had another phone to use in the meantime too.
Must say that I'm lost without it though !

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Even if you don't want to send messages the MMS application is worth downloading as it is free to retrieve messages so at least people can send them to you even if you chose to send pictures by Email.

The iphone is without a doubt the best phone I have had...and i've had a lot.....once you have got em set up properly they rock!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Agree with all the endorsements above: I'm already struggling to imagine ever living without mine - especially for any commuter, they're extraordinary: the only downside is the cancerous effect the damn thing has had on my reading habits.

As for the applications, the pool game is fantastic, mytrainlite seems to have disappeared from the apps store, presumably it was too popular so they'll relaunch it as an app that you have to pay for.

I'm smitten with the Okarina application - it turns the phone into a musical instrument which you play it by actually BLOWING into the iPhone, which in turn plays spacey flute music, for which there's sheet music available online. But most impressively of all, you can listen to - and see, on a globe - the music being created by other iPhone Okarina-players LIVE as they noodle away, some good, some less so. Quite mind-blowing and a gorgeous concept.

So, to the Japanese bloke making slightly heavy work of Frosty The Snowman just now: sir, I salute you. *bows*

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The loss of MyRail Lite is a pain. I've got it on my Touch which I never use any more, but can't get it on my iPhone (actually, maybe I can transfer it somehow via my desktop...hmmmm)..

Anyway, Google Kizoom instead. Seems to do much the same thing. Can't find the web app but you can put a link to the mobile version on your home page, and it'll work just as well. Only discovered it yesterday, so haven't really had a chance to test it properly yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here