Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just found this quote: Wonderful!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."
Cecil Rhodes

I don't think there's much doubt that Cecil Rhodes considered himself a tad superior to folk from a different background from his own.

Not that he tried to hide the fact.

"I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race."- Cecil Rhodes writing to his friend W.T. Stead.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't think there's much doubt that Cecil Rhodes considered himself a tad superior to folk from a different background from his own.

Not that he tried to hide the fact.

"I contend that we are the first race in the world, and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race."- Cecil Rhodes writing to his friend W.T. Stead.

Don't tell me, he's a distant relative of HB&B isn't he ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't forget Lord Palmerston, he was once asked if he were not an Englishman what nationality would he wish to be? He replied: "If I were not an Englishman I would wish to be an Englishman."

Ahh, those were the days.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rhodes?

Sounds South African.

Probably matches some of their past philosophies too.

Cyril Rhodes was an English nineteenth century explorer and adventurer. Rhodesia, now Zambabwe was named after him.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
My favourite quote of the entire year:

"The day Chris Hoy starts referring to Chris Hoy in the third person is the day Chris Hoy disappears up his own arse"

(Chris Hoy, on Sunday, after a journalist asked him "What does Chris Hoy think of Chris Hoy?")

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
How peculiar..I posted the same quote on here the other day...can't remember why though, probably in reply to some shit or other.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Hey hey, it's our resident Anglophobe come for his daily dose of bile. Wouldn't be a thread about England without a snidey little comment from you.

What was snide about it?

I asked if the name Rhodes was anything to do with South Africa and was informed of his presence in that area.

Maybe he was the nicest guy ever, or maybe he was one of those nasty types who under the guise of colonialism did bad things to the natives.

It's not like white fellas have the best of records down that way when it comes to the locals(and that's not directed at the English just so you don't moan at me over it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here