Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

just back from the game

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There was always a remote chance we could have equalised giving us a very valuable point , the referee put paid to that. All hope drained away when Scunny scored from the penalty spot. Sums up our season.

There was, by all accounts, a much greater chance of us going in 4-0 down at half time. Shall we credit the ref for us only going in 1 down?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Anderssen made several good saves and they hit the crossbar twice , we kept it at 0-0 for 43 minutes. Scunny apparently thrashed Hereford on Tuesday night and were up for it today. If you were at the game you would know it wasn't a relentless , constant onslaught on our goal for 45 minutes in the first half.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Seriously? You don't think our inability to beat 9-man walsall migh have something to do with it? Or being the first team lose at home and concede against Hereford? Or failing to beat a cheltenham side at home that had not won away at that point? Nothing to do with the other 23 goals we've conceded in the last five minutes of either half? Nor our inability to live up to the potential we've shown in previous matches? Not Craig Davies glaring open goal misses? not dean cox's corners that never clear the first man? not our insistence on shoehorning Adam Virgo in to the team? Not constantly chopping and changing the team? not playing players out of position?

It's all down to the ref in this game?

Harsh.

You are really clever mate. If you are going to rant at least get the scores right. We drew 0-0 with Hereford, thus not conceding or losing.

Today will not be the reason we went down and the referee was probably not the reason we lost. However, all the major decisions went against us. His decision to give a free kick to Scunthorpe against Forster on the edge of their area when Forster was fouled was stupid and the free kick/booking against Elphick was a terrible decision. The view of the penalty from the away end was perfect and it definitely didn't look like one from where I was but it fitted his performance as every decision went Scunny's way.

To be honest, we didn't really look like scoring so would probably have lost anyway but at 1-0 were still in it until the penalty and sending off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anderssen made several good saves and they hit the crossbar twice , we kept it at 0-0 for 43 minutes. Scunny apparently thrashed Hereford on Tuesday night and were up for it today. If you were at the game you would know it wasn't a relentless , constant onslaught on our goal for 45 minutes in the first half.

So that's a no? You'll blame the ref when things go wrong, but anything good happens it's all down to the players?

They had more than twice as many shots as we had. I haven't seen or heard anyone say we deserved to get something from today's game.

It isn't the ref's fault we lost this game.

And even if it was, relegation is decided over the course of an entire season, every loss, every dropped point all play a part, none one result is more or less important than another. Today's loss is no more responsible for relegation (should it happen) than last week's loss, or the home loss to hereford early in the season.

So even in the unrealistic event that the ref cost us this game, he isn't responsible for us being relegated.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I am famed for my memory of years gone by but it's sometimes a blessing that i can't remember more recent events because I'd be blowed if i could remember that hereford game that we lost.

Please enlighten me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You are really clever mate. If you are going to rant at least get the scores right. We drew 0-0 with Hereford, thus not conceding or losing.

Today will not be the reason we went down and the referee was probably not the reason we lost. However, all the major decisions went against us. His decision to give a free kick to Scunthorpe against Forster on the edge of their area when Forster was fouled was stupid and the free kick/booking against Elphick was a terrible decision. The view of the penalty from the away end was perfect and it definitely didn't look like one from where I was but it fitted his performance as every decision went Scunny's way.

To be honest, we didn't really look like scoring so would probably have lost anyway but at 1-0 were still in it until the penalty and sending off.

Woah, someone is still upset about today's game. You are right. I remember people making a big deal about Hereford because they had a poor away form and there was therefore great expectations, but we failed to beat them. That disappointment was amplified by my memory.

I am not arguing the ref got the penalty decision right. I'm not saying it stopped a fightback. (Though I do believe ref's get too much blame for results that are the result of so much more than just the ref's decisions).

I'm saying his mistakes aren't what get us relegated. Which you seem to agree with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am famed for my memory of years gone by but it's sometimes a blessing that i can't remember more recent events because I'd be blowed if i could remember that hereford game that we lost.

Please enlighten me.

I believe finchley beat you to the punch. I made a mistake. One that isn't really key to the point I was making. It would be like me pointing out you didn't capitalise two of the 'I's in your post, as if that invalidates your point.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Woah, someone is still upset about today's game. You are right. I remember people making a big deal about Hereford because they had a poor away form and there was therefore great expectations, but we failed to beat them. That disappointment was amplified by my memory.

I am not arguing the ref got the penalty decision right. I'm not saying it stopped a fightback. (Though I do believe ref's get too much blame for results that are the result of so much more than just the ref's decisions).

I'm saying his mistakes aren't what get us relegated. Which you seem to agree with.

As I said in my first post a) losing today is not what will relegate us and b) the referee was crap but we would probably still have lost if he wasn't. However, that does not defend his performance and to be honest there are a lot of crap referees around which is why they get stick.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
The sending off was an absolute disgrace. Not only was it not a penalty but a sending off? Ref's do not understand the law which was introduced to stop the professional foul i.e. being pulled over on the way to goal. Why does it now seem to mean that even a slight mistake or mistimed tackle that a penalty is not enough punishment but the player has to go. However, lucky we were and I do agree that we could have been 4 -0 down at half time but we weren't and we battled, and until the penalty we were still in for a shout for a point.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A penalty isn't punishment. It's redressing the balance. It's like, if someone stole your car, the police catch him. Is his punishment that the car is given back to you?

A penalty is giving the team awarded it back the possession and goal scoring opportunity that was stolen from them. The telling off/yellow/red card is the punishment.

Otherwise the argument would extend to the outfield free kicks, they're enough punishment, why bother with cards at all?

Though, I agree with the underlying sentiment that giving a penalty for a foul does not always require a red card.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I agree with Finchley and Mrhairy the penalty decision was very harsh and to have a player sent off for what was a 50/50 challenge was an absolute disgrace but just summed up the luck we're having at the moment. As others have said we could have been several goals down at that point, but we weren't, and there was always the chance we could snatch a goal from somewhere. The ref killed off all chance of that.

The ref had a shocker of a game, every decision went Scunny's way and on top of now losing Heath to a ban, Elphick will now also miss a couple of games for a booking that was also a serious error by the ref. So his poor game might not have relegated us but it certainly doesn't help.

never wrong dave

Jul 20, 2008
Real fans like me and zamo28 were taken off the Argus post page because of the vile sussex rich kids familys power.Anyone with half a brain can see this club troubles is down to the vile free loading rich kids.Scum like Elphick,El-abd,Fraser,and real vile free loading Scum Virgo would never play league football without there parents.The club also has free loading scum like Booker,White,and that waste of space hinshelwood on the clubs books.If one of these scum bags had any talent they wouldn't be at the Albion,as the goalkeeping coach found out.I was saying this on the Argus post pages two years ago.Now turn against these free loading vile bits of scum.Save this club we all still love.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The day we got relegated was the day we beat Swindon away.

BUT HOW you cry...

Coz it kept THICKY in a job just that bit too long. If we had lost we would have had a manager by the new year and be half way up the table.

Quoth the raven.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with Finchley and Mrhairy the penalty decision was very harsh and to have a player sent off for what was a 50/50 challenge was an absolute disgrace but just summed up the luck we're having at the moment. As others have said we could have been several goals down at that point, but we weren't, and there was always the chance we could snatch a goal from somewhere. The ref killed off all chance of that.

The ref had a shocker of a game, every decision went Scunny's way and on top of now losing Heath to a ban, Elphick will now also miss a couple of games for a booking that was also a serious error by the ref. So his poor game might not have relegated us but it certainly doesn't help.

Exactly. I don't think anyone on here has said we were going to get anything from the game but at 1-0 you never know. Both the Elphick and Heath decisions were poor but I still think the worst one was in front of us in the first half when Forster was blatantly fouled by their player, Cox picked up the ball and was going into their area and then a whistle blew. I was about to have a go at the referee for not playing advantage when I realised he had given it to them for Forster pulling their player's shirt. That was an inexplicable decision.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Real fans like me and zamo28 were taken off the Argus post page because of the vile sussex rich kids familys power.Anyone with half a brain can see this club troubles is down to the vile free loading rich kids.Scum like Elphick,El-abd,Fraser,and real vile free loading Scum Virgo would never play league football without there parents.The club also has free loading scum like Booker,White,and that waste of space hinshelwood on the clubs books.If one of these scum bags had any talent they wouldn't be at the Albion,as the goalkeeping coach found out.I was saying this on the Argus post pages two years ago.Now turn against these free loading vile bits of scum.Save this club we all still love.

Judging by the times I have occasionally seen your comments on the argus, if you were banned it was for vitriolic, vicious and unfounded comments against players/staff at the club. You are scum, not the players. Anyone who thinks that players like Elphick, El Abd and Fraser (despite not being convinced by him he always gives his all) do not give their all for the club is an idiot or on a wind up.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Thanks for that large slice of total bollox. Now let's hope you & that other tosser (if he appears) get chucked off here now to boot. :bigwave:

- & Cue The Mod's!

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

I was at the game and they carved us open for 45 minutes with ease. If we can gone in at half time 4 down there would have been no justification for complaint.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
If you had bothered to read my post you would see that it was in response to "Sod 1" who started the thread. It had nothing to do with you.

I'M sorry for misunderstanding you then

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A penalty isn't punishment. It's redressing the balance. It's like, if someone stole your car, the police catch him. Is his punishment that the car is given back to you?

A penalty is giving the team awarded it back the possession and goal scoring opportunity that was stolen from them. The telling off/yellow/red card is the punishment.

Otherwise the argument would extend to the outfield free kicks, they're enough punishment, why bother with cards at all?

Though, I agree with the underlying sentiment that giving a penalty for a foul does not always require a red card.

You might wish to look up the word penalty in the dictionary.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, because sport always uses the proper English definition of any term. Such as 'professionalism'.

Yes, the word 'penalty' means punishment. I'm saying the award of a penalty kick in football is not punishment for wrong doing for the wrong doing that led to the award.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here