Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Stoke.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Brezovan an absolute mare in the first half,Bennet had a decent game. Well done all those fans,out sung and out witted those stokies. :wave:

brysbabes

Feb 8, 2011
to be honest i think your support was great .but the fa cup for alot of our season ticket holders means nowt ,the problem we had was that normally we are not 3-0 up at half time and u played better second half . but it really was one of the easiest games i have had to watch for the last 3 years ,but go and get promotion your new stadium needs it

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Not being disrespectful but if Stoke aren't bothered about winning the fa cup then what are you bothered about? Not as if you're ever going to be top 4 and who remembers finishing 12th year after year? Doesn't the premiership bore you? What is the point of your club now you're an established premiership club? Surely you want to win silverware? Or like the other 14 or 15 clubs are Stoke merely there to facilitate the big 4 or 5's glory by providing some opposition weekly? I just don't understand why so many fulhams etc are only concerned about surviving in the premiership? Surely it gets dearly dull if you never win or attempt to win anything?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ps I was there today and just got home about 30mins ago. Thought you played well although Brezovan in goal gifted first 2 and should have done better. Wish we'd played our first 11 but hey ho. Thought people of Stoke very good hosts though providing an intimidating atmosphere when game got underway. Good home support, make it difficult for away teams to settle and we were no match for Stoke. Though Pugh had good game as did weaver? in midfield

stokie-staz

Jan 30, 2011
Not sure if you were being sarcastic about our support there lol but that today was quite poor from us compared to normal. As we only really get going against the bigger teams and in bigger games... Not saying it wasnt a big game but we were never really worried therefore no need to sing soo much

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not being disrespectful but if Stoke aren't bothered about winning the fa cup then what are you bothered about? Not as if you're ever going to be top 4 and who remembers finishing 12th year after year? Doesn't the premiership bore you? What is the point of your club now you're an established premiership club? Surely you want to win silverware? Or like the other 14 or 15 clubs are Stoke merely there to facilitate the big 4 or 5's glory by providing some opposition weekly? I just don't understand why so many fulhams etc are only concerned about surviving in the premiership? Surely it gets dearly dull if you never win or attempt to win anything?
Just down to money,just how can the likes Stoke,Wigan,Bolton,West Ham,Aston Villa etc compete ?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Just down to money,just how can the likes Stoke,Wigan,Bolton,West Ham,Aston Villa etc compete ?

Precisely they can compete during a cup competition so why don't fans like it when they can't compete during the league? Find it strange

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have no complaints about today, Stoke set their stall out to play a certain way and they execute the plan very well. It's basic, it's direct, it's predictable, but for a passing team two divisions below it's damn near impossible to stop.

One question for the Stokies popping up on here, and I'm not having a dig, it's a genuine question. What is the view of the fans of the "style" of football? Is it a necessary evil of being a club punching above their weight, or is there dissatisfaction, perhaps that you are now establishing yourselves at that level, so should now be trying something a bit more expansive. With genuinely skillful wingers in Pennant and Etherington, it need not be a complete overhaul, as they are class.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I couldn't agree more, if there's any PM team who should care about the FAC it should be Stoke. You can't get much more mid table, relegation & Europe - unlikely. Anyway, I wish them well in the rest of the competition. Much better traffic coming back (all those Crawley Chavs not clogging up the M6)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I just think today was a reality check. Our tippy tappy football was found out by a well organized side who sat back and watched us pass the ball about, lose it and then pounced. We have seen a few sides do this to us this year, but have not had the guile or ability to do what Stoke did.

There were a couple of positives...caskey and Bennett...but on the negative side, Calderon was dreadful and brez has zero confidence, Batti is not up to it and sometimes our passing is too slow, although thankfully we wont play another "stoke" for the time being

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I just think today was a reality check. Our tippy tappy football was found out by a well organized side who sat back and watched us pass the ball about, lose it and then pounced. We have seen a few sides do this to us this year, but have not had the guile or ability to do what Stoke did.

There were a couple of positives...caskey and Bennett...but on the negative side, Calderon was dreadful and brez has zero confidence, Batti is not up to it and sometimes our passing is too slow, although thankfully we wont play another "stoke" for the time being

Thankfully (for the sake of the game) there aren't many teams who play like that. I'm not bitter - I enjoy getting the odd opportunity to watch Premiership sides, but not that. It's ugly and direct and I wouldn't pay to watch it.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah it was a easy result in end as we gifted you the first 3 goals by us giving the ball away and your non skilled long throw and a good corner by Pennent.
If i was Stoke fan id be worried how easy we controlled the 2nd half and we a league one side, we must have had about 70% possession.
Also i think stoke took this very seriousally as Pulis played Etherington and Pennent even though Etherington only passed late fitness test.
I thought Brez and greer and Elphick was very poor in the 1st half an hour we then in 2nd half was more like Albion we know, Jake Caskey come on for 2nd or 3rd game at 17 years old and put in a good shift and Sandaza caused problems to Stoke.
But good day but very poor 1st half performance, Stoke not that great of a team just powerful and good at long throws, at least we pass the ball.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Got back about half an hour ago. I think simply Stoke had done their research about our style of football and let us pass around the back, but rarely letting us get behind them. In the first half we were sloppy and we really didn't look a threat, Stoke scored three which arguably Brezovan could have done better with but hey ho. I believe they were all from headers. Second half we were the better team and our passing was excellent. Bennett seemed to stick to the touchline and ran at their left back quite alot, creating a few chances for Sandaza. We were realistically never going to get back to 3-3. Our support was class in the second half and I particularly liked 'we play decent football' and doing the throwing action shouting 'hoof'!

Overall, we were beaten by a better team who are in the premier league who looked well organised and defensively very good. Although watching that kind of football week in week out would bore me to death, but all to they're own. Maybe it's not a terrible thing being out of the FA Cup, we can now focus on the league and make sure we get into the Championship for next season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The 'Hoof hoof' was hilarious, but generally it was pretty quiet (on the far right at the back).

How far right were you then?

I was stairway 37, which was quite a long way right, and was row 25, which was quite a long way back .... and I thought the atmosphere we created was bloody excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here