Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just a question.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
We all talk about lack of bums on seats and the various reasons why.

Obviously difficult to gauge but given exactly the same league postion and current form what do you think the crowd would be for this Saturdays game against Huddersfield....

If the game was at

a) The Goldstone, with pay at the gate.

b) Falmer, without pay at the gate

c) Withdean with pay at the gate, or nearby ticket booths up to 2.45.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
a) The Goldstone, with pay at the gate. 10k (there were fewer distractions on a Saturday then)

b) Falmer, without pay at the gate. 6k

c) Withdean with pay at the gate, or nearby ticket booths up to 2.45. PATG would help but is against the terms of the lease I believe. Remember this is one of the family games so Family stand will be rammed on Saturday,

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
All guess work:

(a) 8500
(b) 9000 (extra punters as new stadium)
(c) 6200 (increase due to ease of entry/last minute decisions)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
a) 8k

b) 10k

c) still only around 6k. Availability of tickets is only part of the problem the main issue is that Withdean is a horrible place to watch football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We all talk about lack of bums on seats and the various reasons why.

Obviously difficult to gauge but given exactly the same league postion and current form what do you think the crowd would be for this Saturdays game against Huddersfield....

If the game was at

a) The Goldstone, with pay at the gate.

b) Falmer, without pay at the gate

c) Withdean with pay at the gate, or nearby ticket booths up to 2.45.

1. 6,200
2. 8,300
3. 5,400

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the way we're playing overall and the fact that it is the lead into Christmas it would be a disappointing crowd wherever we were playing. I'm not sure that where we play would have any great bearing on the crowd figures overall anyway, except if it was the 1st season at Falmer, where I think we'll really struggle to make 10k for many games unless we have an entertaining team or are in the Championship.

The lost generations will not be coming back without a dramatic increase in the quality of play.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
a) The Goldstone - would be higher than the current Withdean attendances, but not by much. Given that the ground was petty old and creeky in 1997, I would assume that by now it would only be a marginally better (all be it dryer) proposition than Withdean.

b) Falmer - is hard to say. With any new staduim the gate will be high for the first few matches. After that, I think we would get between 7 and 10,000 depending on opposition. A decent fanbase would take promotion, and many years to rebuild.

c) Withdean - I am not sure pay on the gate would make much difference, after 9 years people are pretty familiar with the rules. Pay on the gate might get in an extra 100 or so (I would guess) but not many more.

As a bums on seats idea - something that may make a few more people come is some kind of protection from the elements - this is a practial impossibility at Withdean, but unfortunately is true. Withdean is glorious in sunny days at the start/end of the season. The rest of the time it is horrible.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Goldstone in our better days 10k but towards the end of our time .it dropped to about 6k. So now it would probably be 5 - 6k.

Falmer about 8k being double our current attendances and more than double our hard core fan base.

Withdean pay on the day 4500 about 500 more than normal as people do not like Withdean and people like my sons will not go to Withdean at any price.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
c) If it was pay on the day..? I would suggest about 3000.

There will be more than that on Saturday of course..............but only because STH,s have already bought their ticket. I for one, wouldn,t bother at the moment, except I have season ticket, already paid for.

I think the 2500 turnout for Hartlepool, gives a proper indication of what gates would be without STH holders already having tickets.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Goldstone: lucky to break 5000 if the entertainment was as bad as it has been for the last few seasons. If we were challenging for promotion then up to 10000.
Falmer: Ist season 10,000
Withdean: Add about 250 to Saturday's attendance but if its raining only 100.

The only guarantee to put bums on seats is a team playing entertaining football and challenging for promotion. We have not had that for many a season apart from the odd entertainment such as Man City.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

a) current situ ie poor form/ league position 8500

b) Novelty value 1st season 14000 every game

c)6000 although dependent on weather

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
:( I just had a truly magical image of me standing in the North Stand with all my friends who wont go to Withdean

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
a) The Goldstone, with pay at the gate. 9,000

b) Falmer, without pay at the gate 9,000

c) Withdean with pay at the gate, or nearby ticket booths up to 2.45 No more than 6,500 (depending on who is playing, ex. Leeds)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Goldstone - 6,443

Falmer - 10,096

Withdean - 5,886 (dry), 4,119 (if its RAINING)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
And now for saturdays weather forecast. Dry cold start after a overnight frost,clouds building on a moderate to strong northerly wind making temperatures feel raw,chance of sleet or snow showers during the afternoon...so

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely it depends where the pile of shit is on display ?
I'd pay to watch a pile of shit if it belonged to Myleene Klass. Specially if she was creating it at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here