Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jury service, new job...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've actually had jury service cancelled twice. I was originally called up during a major project I was running at work, and my boss wrote to them to say it would cause major difficulties if I was released from work. They said okay and that they would reschedule it. When the new date came through it was slap bang in the middle of a pre-booked and paid for holiday, so it was cancelled again. Never heard back after that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Any boss has a legal obligation to release you for jury service although he may be able to write in as in Pasty's situation.

It should not reflect on you in any way.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Maybe best to mention it to your boss first, pointing out that if he/she doesn't want you to go then you will attempt to cancel it. I think employers have to release people for jury service by law, but I am not 100% sure about that. I have never been invited for jury service (despite being an upstanding citizen!!:D ), but someone at work went and really enjoyed it.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
sullyupthewing said:
Go and get nicked surefire way to get out of it.

what the job? won't get you out of a court appearence.

Employers have no choice but to release but have no obligation too pay you whilst you is away. If your employer does not pay you, or you are self employed you can claim a daily allowence for being there. Not sure how much it is but I bet it does not match the average daily wage.

all questions may be answered here
http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/using_courts/jury/index.htm

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
If you get stuck do this (at least it works this way in Canada).

If your name is called and you are asked to go to the front of the court room and look the acused in the eye.

Look the accused in the eye if you want to be chosen.

Look down at the ground if you do not want to be chosen.

Lawyers figure that people who are prepared to look the accused in the eye are more likely to pass fair judgement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
timco said:
If your employer does not pay you, or you are self employed you can claim a daily allowence for being there. Not sure how much it is but I bet it does not match the average daily wage.

all questions may be answered here
http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/using_courts/jury/index.htm

When I did it three years ago, it was something like £45 a day plus travel expenses. Although I lost money on the deal, it was really interesting and well worth doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here