Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jupiter and it's moons

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Very visible now due south over the sea.

You can just about see the moons with the naked eye.

Wish I had a telescope.

dexter

Apr 25, 2011
i have a feeling that may be venus you are looking at because at 5 pm jupiter was almost directly overhead and i am pretty sure you cannot see the moons of jupiter with a naked eye , if you are interested there is a stargazing programme on tonight 8.30 bbc2

Oct 6, 2010
Funny I just got in from the garden looking at Jupiter through my telescope. There is one moon visible atm but with the naked eye I would think it's a star you can see. Venus is just to the west just above the horizon, and Mars makes an appearance over the eastern horizon in an hour or so for anyone who cares!
Looking forward to stargazing live later!

Last edited:

cammac

Nov 12, 2011
Eastbourne
you have Venus and Neptune sitting together looking the brightest and Jupiter also, at about 11pm Mars rises from the east/se,

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It was due south and my iphone app was saying it was Jupiter. Strange because my inlaws called me and said they had looked at it through binoculars and they saw lights in a jellyfish like shape.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Just been out there with the old telescope after watching the stagazing live thing.
Superb view of the great orion nebula and first time hit as well! Then spent some time looking at what I think was the double cluster of Cassiopeia...marvellous scenes. Just wanted to tell everyone!!
BTW if anyone is interested there are 2 stargazing evenings lined up by the Worthing Astronomers this week. First is on Thursday evening at Splash Point, Worthing. The second is on Friday evening at Goring Gap.
http://www.worthingastronomers.org.uk/

All free; should have a few telescopes set up to have a look through and some knowledgable guys with big laser pointy things.

If you look up and think, "I wonder what that is?" then come along and find out.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It was due south and my iphone app was saying it was Jupiter. Strange because my inlaws called me and said they had looked at it through binoculars and they saw lights in a jellyfish like shape.

Did it sound like they'd had a cuppla 3 Sherries? :ohmy:

Actually I'm really glad you mentioned the night's sky - as It's been bleedin' marvelous of late (even with the pesky light pollution). Mind you, I can't look up at the Heavens for that long as it (a) Gives me a sore neck & (b) Makes me think about the enormity of it all (ie Life, The Universe & everything) & my head gets absolutely shredded.

Amazing to think the light from some of those stars originated in space many many eons ago.
The light emitted from our own sun takes eight and one-third minutes to reach earth - so if the sun were to die, we'd have time to make a call and claim on our life insurance

beachy

Sep 12, 2011
steyning
Had a look with binoculars,can clearly see two moons.Truly amazing.thanks for the tips,will give goring a visit.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Tonights Sky Chart at at 19:00.

wholeskychart.ashx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here