Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jump!

Was playing Jump! by Van Halen wise in this situation?

• No! Poor woman needed help, not mockery...

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Yes! Silly moo needed some encouragement...

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not about Villa - does not compute!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Funny, or a step too far?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/809550-dj-steve-penk-blasted-for-playing-jump-as-woman-attempts-suicide-leap

Controversial radio DJ Steve Penk has come under fire from mental health groups after playing the Van Halen song Jump on the radio as police dealt with a suicide attempt.

Four lanes of the M60 motorway were closed while the police tried to talk the woman down from a bridge.

A frustrated listener, stuck in the traffic backlog, called in to Penk's The Revolution breakfast show to request the song.

The DJ duly obliged the request, saying he sympathised with the motorist's frustration. Moments later, the 30-year-old woman jumped from the bridge.

While she only sustained minor injuries, mental health charities branded the DJ's behaviour irresponsible and insensitive.

"It shows a lack of compassion and understanding," said a rep from The Samaritans, while Paul Farmer of Mind said it was 'in very poor taste'.

A number of listeners were also appalled and called in to voice their disgust.

"It's irresponsible – this woman could have overheard it on someone's car stereo," said Lorna Guinn. "I found it pathetic and nasty."

Penk, however, was unmoved by the criticisms.

"The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman," he responded. "I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge, but relieved that her injuries were minor."

"If, as has been suggested, the woman jumped because she heard it from a passing car radio, that's unfortunate, but I don't regret playing it for a minute."

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
As I was walking down the street one day
I saw a house on fire
There was man, standing at an upper-storey window
Shouting and screaming at the crowd that was gathered there below
For he was sore afraid

Jump! You fucker, jump!
Jump into this here blanket what we are holding
And you will be all right
He jumped, hit the deck, broke his f***ing neck -
There was no blanket

Laugh?! We nearly shat!
We had not laughed so much since Grandma died
Or Auntie Mabel caught her left tit in the mangle
We are miserable sinners
Fi-i-ilthy fuckers
Arse-holes!

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Is this the same Steve Penk that was moaning the other day about the amount of promotion Chris Evans's new breakfast show had been given across the BBC network? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here