Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

July 2015 budget

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Whether George Osborne should give Paul Barber a tax break, I think.

Come on Prof -which areas of the country don't have any jobs? I'm genuinely curious as living in the London - Cambridge - Stansted triangle (a bit like the Bermuda triangle but not as hot), this area is fortunate to be stuffed with jobs at both ends of the scale, but I appreciate not every area of the UK is so fortunate

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If paying MPs more money would prevent idiots representing us I would be wholly in favour of it.

However it is not the case, they are chosen by idiots a lot of the time, and it's a job where if you are in a safe seat (and that goes for all parties) then you effectively have a job for life irrespective of you ability to make decisions in the best interests of your constituents or the country as a whole.

Any claim that at least it's only the capable that go on to become ministers is blown out of the water by the Minister for Work and Pensions, Iain Duncan Smith, the man who closed down Remploy, which provided employment for disabled people, because 'all they do is sit round drinking tea'. This is the same man who has overseen a £600 million overspend on a computer system in his department, which has created delays in paying out to the disadvantaged and needy, and being responsible for the rise in the use of food banks in the world's sixth richest nation, where hunger is now a sad reality for the poor and disenfranchised.

Even his own party's premier intelligent publication thinks he is useless.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2014/06/the-conservative-case-against-iain-duncan-smith/

And any debate on MPs' salaries is meaningless in his case as he sponges off his wealthy in-laws. He lives rent-free in a large property that they own, which must give him a unique insight into the lives of those who claim state benefits.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We need to invest in regeneration, but not by welfare credits. people can always move to find jobs, many many people over history have done just that, the USA is based on it

If you are living in Merthyr Tydfill, where there are 32 people for every job vacancy, I can understand your point., But if you have no education, no skills, no experience, then are you going to find a job in the South East, where the cost of a roof over your head is so much higher?

As explained above the chances are that you won't receive any benefits during the period you are seeking work as Iain Duncan Smith's reforms and the total disaster of the £611 million IT system write off mean that you will have no cash to live off, so how can these people have any hope?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Come on Prof -which areas of the country don't have any jobs? I'm genuinely curious as living in the London - Cambridge - Stansted triangle (a bit like the Bermuda triangle but not as hot), this area is fortunate to be stuffed with jobs at both ends of the scale, but I appreciate not every area of the UK is so fortunate

Why not start with Jaywick, not in the North-East, Merseyside or a former pit town, but 50 miles from London, on the Essex coast.

50% of the population are on benefits, 50% of the children are deemed to be living in poverty. Less than 1% of the population have been to higher education.

Councils send their unwanted to live in Jaywick because the cost of housing there is so cheap they can save on housing benefit. It's effcetively the biggest open prison in the country, and it's a life sentence for anyone born there.

To condemn a child at birth to such an upbringing, in what is the world's sixth wealthiest nation, doesn't reflect well on anyone in power, regardless of your political views.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We need to invest in regeneration, but not by welfare credits. people can always move to find jobs, many many people over history have done just that, the USA is based on it

Wouldn't that lead to massive overcrowding in one part of the country and what happens to those who cannot move for various reasons such as those poor souls who used to work for Remploy ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How can a loan (which by definition requires repaying) be more generous than a grant (which doesn't)?

And how can a loan be counted as income when applying for Housing Benefit? But the very same student loans are not considered as income by working and child tax credits however.

Bizarre but true.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why not start with Jaywick, not in the North-East, Merseyside or a former pit town, but 50 miles from London, on the Essex coast.

50% of the population are on benefits, 50% of the children are deemed to be living in poverty. Less than 1% of the population have been to higher education.

Councils send their unwanted to live in Jaywick because the cost of housing there is so cheap they can save on housing benefit. It's the biggest open prison in the country, and it's a life sentence for anyone born there.

Now Jaywick IS an absolute shithole, I grant you. I have been there several times on firefighting duties. Many of the residents have been shipped out from the East End and the concept of a job is utterly alien. Jaywick is a great example of a place with little to no hope - I have no idea how you go about fixing a place like that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Councils send their unwanted to live in Jaywick because the cost of housing there is so cheap they can save on housing benefit. It's effcetively the biggest open prison in the country, and it's a life sentence for anyone born there.

To condemn a child at birth to such an upbringing, in what is the world's sixth wealthiest nation, doesn't reflect well on anyone in power, regardless of your political views.

Once the Tories redefine child poverty there will be 0% deemed to be living in poverty.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Now Jaywick IS an absolute shithole, I grant you. I have been there several times on firefighting duties. Many of the residents have been shipped out from the East End and the concept of a job is utterly alien. Jaywick is a great example of a place with little to no hope - I have no idea how you go about fixing a place like that.

I agree with you. It is difficult to know where to start.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Understand where you are coming from, but suspect they will always do both. An experienced barrier is on half a million a year (or two thirds of what we are paying Chris O'Grady!)

Is that one of those people that work in Starbucks?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If you are living in Merthyr Tydfill, where there are 32 people for every job vacancy, I can understand your point., But if you have no education, no skills, no experience, then are you going to find a job in the South East, where the cost of a roof over your head is so much higher?

As explained above the chances are that you won't receive any benefits during the period you are seeking work as Iain Duncan Smith's reforms and the total disaster of the £611 million IT system write off mean that you will have no cash to live off, so how can these people have any hope?

I was not aware the details had been announced? Invest more in education, which was part of my comment. But that is a long burn i admit.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Wouldn't that lead to massive overcrowding in one part of the country and what happens to those who cannot move for various reasons such as those poor souls who used to work for Remploy ?

Doesnt need to. The UK is one of the most centralised countries but there are others which are as strong economically with a more spread out population

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] I agree with that. For me at least though we should not perpetuate that problem through an ever faster growing welfare state. We need to help by Removing taxes for the lowest paid, reducing welfare credits and increasing the minimum wage feels a really credible alternative. I woild spend more on education and no ring fence the NHS which i think would add another element into the mix

Agree totally. Give people education, training and a skill set and they can transform themselves. However what is offered from the DWP in reality is completely different. I'm not playing the 'Boo Hoo Poor Me' card but my son is 22, unemployed for four years, and has Aspergers' Syndrome. He isn't entitled to any disability support, and to claim JSA he has to log on for 30 hours a week onto a website to look for jobs.

He gets sent on 'courses' to help him find a job. These courses are run by private contractors and are all identical, you are told to write down your name, date of birth, education and work history, and this is 'enhancing your CV'. The private contractor then bills the DWP for this piece of repeated crap, and it is totally soul destroying.

He's applied for over 400 jobs and has had 3 replies. He managed to get two jobs before Christmas on different shifts and was working 6am - midnight. He loved it, they both finished on Christmas Eve and now he's given up with the 30 hours of logging on and non stop applications. He's been told at the Job Centre that many employers don't want to take on people with Aspergers' as they are 'too difficult' but with Iain Duncan Smith closing down Remploy, where everyone got on because they were all 'different', what hope does he have?

So now as he doesn't claim JSA he's not deemed to be unemployed, as the system has worn him down. I financially support him, as it is clear that this government's priorities are not with the disadvantaged, but in keeping their promises to make the wealthy wealthier.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Cheers George you **** the dividend tax is great when small business pay loads of corporation tax ni etc and still employee after all the red tape. What's the point, may as well work for someone else as we are all equal and shouldn't get any benefit from knocking out bollocks off :tosser:

And insurance premium tax 9.5 % on something people don't want to pay anyway way to encourage uninsured drivers.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Agree totally. Give people education, training and a skill set and they can transform themselves. However what is offered from the DWP in reality is completely different. I'm not playing the 'Boo Hoo Poor Me' card but my son is 22, unemployed for four years, and has Aspergers' Syndrome. He isn't entitled to any disability support, and to claim JSA he has to log on for 30 hours a week onto a website to look for jobs.

He gets sent on 'courses' to help him find a job. These courses are run by private contractors and are all identical, you are told to write down your name, date of birth, education and work history, and this is 'enhancing your CV'. The private contractor then bills the DWP for this piece of repeated crap, and it is totally soul destroying.

He's applied for over 400 jobs and has had 3 replies. He managed to get two jobs before Christmas on different shifts and was working 6am - midnight. He loved it, they both finished on Christmas Eve and now he's given up with the 30 hours of logging on and non stop applications. He's been told at the Job Centre that many employers don't want to take on people with Aspergers' as they are 'too difficult' but with Iain Duncan Smith closing down Remploy, where everyone got on because they were all 'different', what hope does he have?

So now as he doesn't claim JSA he's not deemed to be unemployed, as the system has worn him down. I financially support him, as it is clear that this government's priorities are not with the disadvantaged, but in keeping their promises to make the wealthy wealthier.

Thanks EP. It must be really tough for your son. It does feel like disabilty allowance is far too narrowly defined. And that we are not truly supporting those seeking jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here