Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Judges playing dangerous political games

So the Home Office sends around a memo telling Judges to take prison overcrowding into account when sentancing, so a couple of Judges decide to release a couple of peadophiles to make a political point.
Who's at fault ? Seems obvious to me.
I dont support this government but the fact that they lock up more people at a time when crime rates have been gradually falling, but still we have overcrowding, would seem that they're far from soft on crime.
Maybe they should increase taxes to fund a prison building programme. Hmmm dont think that would be to popular.

I know, lets blame the foreigners.

mona said:
There are some incompetent judges around and most of them look after their mates when needed. ie the case of Jeffrey Archer and his fragrant wife!

They didn't come up smelling of roses from the perjury trial, did they?

[I think you meant flagrant]

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
mona said:
There are some incompetent judges around and most of them look after their mates when needed. ie the case of Jeffrey Archer and his fragrant wife!

fragrant? phew, i misread that as pregnant.. a bit late in life, for that, dontcha think!?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Goodfella said:
I dont support this government.

I'm a Labour man myself.

me too.
this is definitely not a labour government.
but nevertheless there is no reason to let people escape prison because there is no room,why could they not let out someone who is nearly finished their sentence or the one I personally like just cramb them in 10 a cell that might do the trick,
1/deter them from returning
2/save the government/us money
3/ clear the streets of all the criminals.
???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Franks Wild Years said:
So the Home Office sends around a memo telling Judges to take prison overcrowding into account when sentancing, so a couple of Judges decide to release a couple of peadophiles to make a political point.
Who's at fault ? Seems obvious to me.
I dont support this government but the fact that they lock up more people at a time when crime rates have been gradually falling, but still we have overcrowding, would seem that they're far from soft on crime.
Maybe they should increase taxes to fund a prison building programme. Hmmm dont think that would be to popular.

I know, lets blame the foreigners.

Why increase taxes? Just make the prisoners build them.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
the Judges are trying to tell politicans to stop telling them what to do.

as franks wild years rightly said, they are playing a very dangerous game, is this going to be a precedent for judicial behaviour in the future?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i read the case being the judges 'had' to let the men free- they didnt choose to, i bet. what the point in a justice system, if there's nowhere to keep the people found guilty?!

i bet if one of them had been molesting Tony Blur's kids, the crim would be in th tower, or camp xray by now..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here