Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Judges change scores in latest Olympics farce

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Anyone see this?

Nemov performed a tricky routine, but the judges didn't take the difficulty into account and gave him a crap score.

The crowd started booing, so the judges changed the scores. What a joke.

Rumpus hits gymnastic final

The horizontal bar final had to be dramatically halted after protests by spectators following the scoring for defending champion Alexei Nemov.

Nemov was given a 9.725, putting him in third place, despite a superb display and the crowd showed their anger.

Nemov's mark was eventually upped to 9.762 but failed to lift him up the standings and he had to return to the floor to ask the crowd to calm down.

Igor Cassina eventually won the gold ahead of Paul Hamm and Isao Yoneda.

Hamm was unable to begin his routine while the fans vented their anger and waited over six minutes before going into action.

The crowd had been thrilled by Nemov's routine which included an incredible six release and catch manoeuvres but were stunned when his mark left him third out of three competitors with seven more still to go.

He eventually finished in fifth place.

"I thought I deserved a bronze," he said.

"I had maybe a small mistake at the end but that was an opportunity for them to put me down."

American Morgan Hamm, twin brother of Paul, said: "I've never seen anything like that in my career.

"It was amazing, being out there on the floor and hearing the crowd react like that.

"Nemov did a great set and some amazing gymnastics that the crowd really loved and it's just those little things that cost him the medal."

Paul Hamm, who was delayed by the protests, added: "I did actually wave Alexei to come up on the podium and calm the crowd down.

"He's a very respectful person and understands that other gymnasts want to compete without the crowd booing."

The judges in the event were new after the previous three-person horizontal bar judging panel was suspended in the wake of a scoring error which cost Yang Tae-Young the all-round crown which Hamm won last week.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah saw that last night, everytime the Olyp[ics comes around theres a massive screw up and usually a bodge up everyday.
The one that gets me is the "athletes" who loose their medals after failing drugs tests....they KNOW they will get tested so why f***ing bother? it ruins it for the other athletes and spectators....thats why the Olypics is just a farce everytime.

Bring on the X-Games, thats proper sport! :clap:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
The scoring in the Olympics has generally been farcical. The Olympic Committee need to look at this in time for the next Games to prevent a re-occurrence

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Apart from the Italian that grabbed gold, I thought Nemov went for it and definately deserved a medal.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It just degrades the competion so much when these things happen. I couldn't believe the Russian guy's dignity.

Seagull Stew

The problem with sports like gymnastics or diving is that there's no real target to aim for, i.e fastest, furthest, score more points than your opponent etc. It's the opinion of the judges that counts. This cannot be truly accurate otherwise they would all give identical scores themselves.
They are often swept along with the euphoria of of the crowd and maybe not give a true result.
Maybe this could be resolved by not giving judgements so quickly and by looking at replays on television before they come to their decisions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw it last night as well. The Russian guys routine was absolutely spectacular, and even with my "untrained eye" I could see he'd blown away the opposition. He did about 4 or 5 very risky releases of the bar (compared with 1 or 2 by the others). The one thing that counted against him was on the dismount when he stepped forward slightly, but to score him down for that, considering the difficulty of the routine, was very harsh.

That said, its absolutely ridiculous that a crowds reaction, no matter how understandable, could actually influence the judges to amend their scores.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here