Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Juan Izquierdo RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unacceptable this should be happening anymore.

Given that high performance athletes with heritable channelopathy or heritable hypertrophy are at increased risk of ventricular arrhythmias (electrical storm, no cardiac output, dead in 3 minutes due to lack of blood supply to the brain) . . . .

and given that this can be screened for...... this all has a whiff of 'not good enough' about it to me.

The increased risk of death is from close to zero to very small. But it is avoidable death in sport with screening.

Is screening done in the UK? How was Conroy Goldstone's issue detected? Why was Erikson's not?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Given that high performance athletes with heritable channelopathy or heritable hypertrophy are at increased risk of ventricular arrhythmias (electrical storm, no cardiac output, dead in 3 minutes due to lack of blood supply to the brain) . . . .

and given that this can be screened for...... this all has a whiff of 'not good enough' about it to me.

The increased risk of death is from close to zero to very small. But it is avoidable death in sport with screening.

Is screening done in the UK? How was Conroy Goldstone's issue detected? Why was Erikson's not?
This study appears to be arguing for more liberal decision making with regards to athletes with channelopathy's eligibility for participation in sport, but I may be reading it wrong as its not something I know anything about but it'll no doubt make more sense to you...

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

I was reading about this earlier and apparently he was diagnosed with arrhythmia in 2014 (I think) so they knew he had heart issues. The doctors felt he was ok to play, not all irregular heartbeats cause problems in life and lots can be monitored. Sadly his caused a cardiac arrest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This study appears to be arguing for more liberal decision making with regards to athletes with channelopathy's eligibility for participation in sport, but I may be reading it wrong as its not something I know anything about but it'll no doubt make more sense to you...

It has a low probability of problems but if the problem arises it has a high risk of death if immediate medical intervention (defibrillator) isn't done.

It is not a 'heart attack' (caused by a sudden block of a coronary artery - affects older people).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Bit of a car crash of a thread, this one.

Juan Izquierdo, (NOT Jose Izquierdo, who played for us), RIP.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Two Juans don't make a right

I beg your pardon, If both Juans turn left and juan (1) Juan makes 2 lefts that eventually makes a right.

I know, I know

1724896811026.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here