Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JPT trophy, can anyone explain

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I would love to get to Wembley and always see this as a viable option, perhaps my biggest disapoitment with Mickeys second coming was the poor performance against Luton (especally at home in the semi finals).

I was wondering why the competition has so many teams each year (16 at present) that get a bye into the next round, it cannot be based on league standings, anyone know.

Draw Saturday, games to be played week 30/08

Southern section (east): Brentford, Brighton, Charlton, Dagenham & Redbridge, Gillingham, Leyton Orient, Southend, Stevenage.

Byes in southern section: Barnet, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Colchester, Hereford, Milton Keynes Dons, Plymouth, Wycombe.

Charlton away please

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's a numbers thing. They want to make the competition open to the blue square premier league, so and they also want to have enough rounds to make it worth inviting everyone, while not producing so many games that clubs don't want to take part because it's too much.

So giving the byes allows them to include more teams/an extra round without over burdening the teams involved.

I think the byes are worked out based on the previous year's progress, we had a bye last year, so I presume it was because of us getting to the area final the seaosn before?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The byes are drawn at random. I have said this on here before but the jpt and league cups need to be merged and turned in to a football league trophy. Then the premiershite teams would not be in it and would have less games to play and a football league trophy would actually have some sort of prestige.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think it's a numbers thing. They want to make the competition open to the blue square premier league, so and they also want to have enough rounds to make it worth inviting everyone, while not producing so many games that clubs don't want to take part because it's too much.

So giving the byes allows them to include more teams/an extra round without over burdening the teams involved.

I think the byes are worked out based on the previous year's progress, we had a bye last year, so I presume it was because of us getting to the area final the seaosn before?

I cannot see any BSP teams in the rounds (not sure if Luton were alowed to defend it) and I think Southampton won it last year, so sounds pheasable but may not be why in practice. Perhaps its about clubs not wanting to take pare early on, I believe due tothe high costs of Withdean we lose money if we get a home tie and do not sell more than 4,000 tickets.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The byes are drawn at random. I have said this on here before but the jpt and league cups need to be merged and turned in to a football league trophy. Then the premiershite teams would not be in it and would have less games to play and a football league trophy would actually have some sort of prestige.

Perhaps just take out Premership clubs that have qualified for Europe, so if Liverpool lose to AIK, they could then follow this up with a loss at Tranmere or Stanley.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Perhaps just take out Premership clubs that have qualified for Europe, so if Liverpool lose to AIK, they could then follow this up with a loss at Tranmere or Stanley.

I feel any premiership clubs will just play their reserves and the lower down clubs will complain about playing extra games than the top sides (despite the fact the top clubs would be playing in europe). Either way the extra competitions are seen as a burden by most clubs these days. It would just be nice to have the possibility of some decent ties, at present the jpt seems a waste of time unless you get to the area finals.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
l've got a much better idea, why dont they give everyone bye's?, then there would be no bloody JPT!

I mean, is it a competion really worth risking valuable rescorces on?, especially if this is to be a viable promotion season.

Who remembers the winners of the JPT anyway?, its not something that stays in the memory for very long l'm afraid.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
l've got a much better idea, why dont they give everyone bye's?, then there would be no bloody JPT!

I mean, is it a competion really worth risking valuable rescorces on?, especially if this is to be a viable promotion season.

Who remembers the winners of the JPT anyway?, its not something that stays in the memory for very long l'm afraid.

True.

BUT it is a trip to wemberley should you get to the final. And believe me in the Adams second coming a trip to wemberley would have brightened up the whole season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

We need to do well in the JPT this season as it's the only way we can get 3 trips to Wembley in the same season.

I would settle for 1 trip to wembley!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Completely different issue but I think it could potentially be great if they could merge the league cup with the Scottish league cup... It would certainly add some spice.

As for the JPT, scrap it. Just scrap it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
i quite like the JPT, its a chance to get to Wembely. It offers lower league sides another route there. Keep it how it is. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here