Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JPT Barnet @ Home - Predict The Crowd

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The announcement from Naylor that Adam El-Abd is in the starting line up, is sure to add a few to the gate.

Albion ace is battered and bruised
By Andy Naylor

Adam El-Abd
Adam El-Abd is ready to be battered and bloodied again to keep Albion's run of clean sheets going.

The no-nonsense utility player has been in the wars in each of the last four matches he has been involved in.

But, rest assured, El-Abd will not be holding back on his return to the starting line-up against Barnet in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Withdean tomorrow (Tue).

His last start, at Gillingham in mid-September where he filled in at left-back, launched a trail of destruction more in keeping with El-Abd's rugby-playing brother Joe.

A forearm smash by Gillingham midfielder Mark Bentley left El-Abd with a narrow cut on the bridge of his nose, which had to be repaired with butterfly stitches.

In the home game against Yeovil a week later, he was only on for the last five minutes in place of Guy Butters but that was long enough for a brush with Lloyd Owusu, which ended up with him nursing a black left eye.

El-Abd was an unused sub at Swansea before spilling blood again at Bournemouth a week ago.

Brought on for the last ten minutes, an elbow from Cherries' striker Sam Vokes opened a wound above his right eye which required five stitches.

Another badge of battle - two stitches to the right side of his shaven head - followed at Withdean on Saturday, via an elbow from Bristol Rovers' substitute Rickie Lambert.

El-Abd said: "It's all part and parcel. If there is a challenge to be made you go in for it and give it your all.

"That is part of the job. It's a big boys' game."

El-Abd continues to deputise tonight at the heart of the defence for Butters, who was forced off in the first half against Rovers with a calf injury.

He almost gave away a goal with a short backpass soon after his introduction but El-Abd, used as a holding midfielder earlier this season, came good alongside Tommy Elphick to stretch Albion's run without conceding to 318 minutes since Paul Warne doubled Yeovil's lead.

"The last time I played at centre half was at Bournemouth last season, so it has been a while but it is not as if it is a position I am not used to," said El-Abd.

"I was a little bit rusty in the first five minutes with that backpass but apart from that it went okay. We didn't concede any goals again and the boys in the back four have been fantastic."

The multi-tasking El-Abd has been squeezed out of the starting line-up since the arrival of George O'Callaghan on loan from Ipswich but he has still been in the squad for every match so far.

He hopes to strengthen his claims tonight as Albion embark on a long but realistic route to the Johnstone's Paint final, staged for the first time this season at the new Wembley.

"We've got a strong squad of players now and there is competition for places," said El-Abd.

"I am no different, I have got to fight for a spot. When you get a chance it is down to you to take it.

"We had a good run in the competition last year and hopefully we can go on another good run and get to the final.

"We are not taking it half-heartedly. We are treating it as if it is a normal League game. It is a massive opportunity to have a great day out at Wembley, not just for the boys but the fans as well. I haven't been there but I have seen it on TV and it looks amazing."

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
With the rain, the crowd will struggle to reach 2,000

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I have a spare tickets as posted on ticket exchange.... avaiable until 6 when I leave work so PM me. £5 south stand adult ticket

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

As a 3 year STH I have a supposedly free ticket awaiting me.

Club have not bothered to contact me about it. No publicity about it anywhere until I half heard something about it at half time on Saturday. Sorry but I have got other things to do on a Tuesday than watch this

I predict 563

Gillingham managed to pull in 1,417 to watch the Luton game.

1,859 saw Hereford v Yeovil.

Only 936 turned up for the seven goal thriller at Lincoln.

1,644 at Morecambe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here