Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Rhodes - we are 'interested'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's impressive to score the only goal in a draw

He's even more wrong that you think. It ended 2-2 so wasn't even Middlesbrough's only goal! And all his comments ignore that it is not like Middlesbrough would have played with ten men the matches he played in if he wasn't playing. An alternative striker might have done better!

I thought that game finished 1-1 and he scored Middlesbro goal but even as it was 2-2 his goal ensured 1 point as his 1 goal in 3 at QPR earned 3 points. Had he been with us and scored in 1 of our many draws as he did for Boro we would now be in The Premier not them. I am sure that he is capable of making goals from nothing just from loose balls in the 6yd box without relying on service directly to him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I thought that game finished 1-1 and he scored Middlesbro goal but even as it was 2-2 his goal ensured 1 point as his 1 goal in 3 at QPR earned 3 points. Had he been with us and scored in 1 of our many draws as he did for Boro we would now be in The Premier not them. I am sure that he is capable of making goals from nothing just from loose balls in the 6yd box without relying on service directly to him.

Assuming he didn't replace the player who scored in the match.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

IF Dunk hadn't seen red at QPR, IF Burnley hadn't scored in the last minute, IF, we hadn't lost a lead at Preston.........

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This would fall into the "absolute no brainer" category for me.

No signing is guaranteed to be a success. People are seeming to use his time at boro as a suggestion he didn't do well. 1 goal in every 3 games for a team notoriously shy in front of goal and under a manager who didn't want him.

If that is his "poor" spell......

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
As a Boro fan, more of our supporters than not want Rhodes to get more game time in the Prem than he is ultimately getting. Partly because our top scorers are on 3 apiece really, though this isn't really a surprise. Our approach to games now is a lot similar to what it was in the championship, just with some better players than last season in terms of it being defence based, though to a lesser extent as the opposition is tougher. We are the joint 3rd lowest scorers in the division, yet our defence is surprisingly the joint 4th best in the Prem which isn't bad for a newly promoted side.

Though for a period after teams got used to us following our honeymoon as an unknown quantity (4-8 games in) AK took a few games to get used to the majority of sides not parking the bus against us any more (though a few weaker sides such as Hull will) but from around the 9th game he shifted the approach slightly and the points began accumulating at a faster rate again.

However in this period and despite Negredo, our preferred forward in our by now standard 4-5-1 going 11 league games without scoring, Rhodes was barely given a sniff. Whilst Karanka isn't doing bad at the helm this season and most of our supporters trust him, AK is a proud man and I think he had more say in recruiting Negredo than Rhodes which may have affected his judgement. Most of our fans believe Rhodes is an excellent professional whose attitude speaks volumes and as such have some sympathy with him not being given a fair crack of the whip.

One of the biggest attributes JR brings to his game is his sense of positioning; he often doesn't need pace as he's anticipated where the ball will be heading next before anyone else does and as such is already most of the way there before it heads in his direction, this is the secret to his career profligation for scoring goals.

You could do a lot worse than take him on, he won't cause disharmony in your dressing room as he's by all accounts a quiet unnassumimg professional and he'll get the goals in the champo no problem, possibly even in the Prem too as he certainly didn't look out of place in his match aginst West Ham.

Naturally I'd prefer it to be on loan as he's an asset I'd personally like us to hang onto, but a 6 month loan to rubber stamp your probable promotion would work out well for you, well for us as we get to keep him though save on wages for our January spend whilst he won't lose much market value over that period at his age and well for him as he needs the exposure to try to force his way back into the Scotland squad.

His not being included in the Sweaties national side we don't view as a negative against him btw as Chesney in charge of the Jocks couldn't spot talent if it bit him on the arse; the fact he spent the most in the champo with us over 2 seasons and took us from 2 points off the top of the division to sliding into the relegation zone to league 1 in that time speaks volumes for his abilities of lack of them in this regard.

On a personal note I'd like to see your lot come up this year as I highly respect Hughton and Tony Bloom is a chairman in the same ilk as our own Steve Gibson. Plus you're a well-run club that is very welcoming to visit on away days despite the marathon trip to get there! Oh and it also takes a possible autos place away from the loveable skunks up the road from us, though with the amount of cash they have blown I fear a pis$ed up baboon would be able to get them up with you, sadly.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This has been making me roll my eyes as well, sure he scored 6 goals (almost as good as Ramirez's 7 in 18). But other players scored the remaining 57 of Boro's goals, who is to say how many striker x would have scored! There seems to be an underlying belief that it was due to Rhodes that they got promoted, which is obviously ridiculous.

If you like stats:

Middlesbrough points per game before signing Rhodes: 2.04 (champions' form)
Middlesbrough points per game after signing Rhodes: 1.79 (top 6 form)

Signing Rhodes didn't get them promoted; it nearly ****ed them up.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Correct me if i'm wrong but Knockaert has 0 this season right? And Murray has 1.

In the second question, I was asking how many assists has Knockaert provided for Murray, which can be answered by the response to the first question that you've provided.
This is not to say that Knockaert hasn't created opportunities, most recently there was that reverse ball to Murray in the first half against Fulham, where Murray's effort was saved. I do think that this is one of the few areas that Knockaert could improve, as at times he can take on too much responsibility, and this is the implicit point I was trying to make with these questions.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
If you like stats:

It wasn't Rhodes arrival that caused the drop in acquired points, but 4 other factors.

Namely nerves towards the end of the season (the defence actually shipped more goals), the opposition in our run in( your lot, Burnley, Brum etc becoming tougher, the off-field issues with AK and AK's shift of focus from going to win games changing to not losing, especially the 6-pointers.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you like stats:

I have no idea how many games Middlesborough had left after they signed Rhodes but that ratio isn't really that interesting.

If you multiply that over 20 games then that would be 41 points vs 36 points.

5 points over 20 games is isn't such a damning stat is it? And don't get me started on looking at the ability of teams faced in those fixtures.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I have no idea how many games Middlesborough had left after they signed Rhodes but that ratio isn't really that interesting.

If you multiply that over 20 games then that would be 41 points vs 36 points.

5 points over 20 games is isn't such a damning stat is it? And don't get me started on looking at the ability of teams faced in those fixtures.

It is when they only secured their auto spot on goal difference :)

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I hope we don't sign him. I really can't be arsed with trying to like him, he's an absolute tosser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
Is he!? Genuinely thought he had a reputation as being one of the least offensive guys in football?

He hasn't done anything to warrant losing this reputation either, he's well-spoken and conducts himself with dignity, despite being practically frozen out of the starting 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here