Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jordan Pickford

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Him and Earps have the same irritating trait of making silly faces and wavy arms after every phase of play. Constantly telling the team to calm down and going mad after every shot.

He overplays. Leaps across the goal unnecessarily and reminds of that one kid who was really good at school and knew it.

I dislike him and get the feeling he isn’t particularly well respected amongst his teammates.

I don’t think he’s our best keeper. But he’s got his shirt and it’s pretty clear he ain’t giving it up for anyone. Fair play. Performances like yesterday shut up idiots like me.
Couldn’t put it better myself. That calm-down-scream-at-defenders thing is odd.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He's decent enough. Not an elite keeper but a pretty good one and his performances for Everton and England over the years should have proven that. If you can't see that then the fault, I'm afraid is yours, not his. Maybe you're letting a personal dislike of him get in the way?

His hoofing this tournament has annoyed me but presumably that's sanctioned/encouraged by the management. I don't remember him doing it that much in his previous tournaments.

In terms of his shelf life being short after Southgate, who takes his place? Pope is an excellent traditional keeper but is miles worse with his feet. Henderson isn't as good a keeper and doesn't impress me as much of a ball player. Trafford? He got dropped at Burnley and didn't look great with his feet either. Maybe that's just a situational thing and if he was at a better team he'd look more comfortable. Then we're into the age group keepers - who knows how they'll develop. That leaves Ramsdale who is much of a muchness as a keeper but lost his place at Arsenal for his lack of ball playing ability, or at least not being of the standard required by Arteta.

Pickford will do for me so long as he stops lumping it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He’s okay, nothing special.

Has quite a panicky approach and at times, blindly rushes out without thinking and over commits.

The best goalkeepers make saves look easy, he doesn’t.

Still probably the best English goalkeeper.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yeah I saw it. Much like the one he had against Maddison.

The Dutch will have seen it too. With minor homework, they'll know which way he plans to dive for every player, and if he does it for the first player, they'll know he's doing it, so they just go for the opposite side.
Still a good chance it works though. Players generally have a favoured penalty they tend to fall back on when the pressure is high, hence the list. At the very least it’s forcing them to take a kick they’re less comfortable with.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hes one of the best goalkeepers in the world and is consistently Evertons best player. Season upon season. And if he played for a more fashionable team and hadn't made a couple of high profile mistakes in a Derbies years ago he'd get the recognition he deserves. Anyone who's watched him for Everton at the Amex for the last few seasons should know how good he is.

It's not the pervading opinion out there in football land, as most people just drool into their porridge and except, uncritically, anything that dweebs like Jonathan Liew, and other closet Liverpool fans in the media peddle.

But actually out on a football pitch. He's a genuinely excellent keeper.
Ah but, he is consistently Everton’s best player because Everton are awful and he is called into play a lot. That doesn’t make him the best keeper in England.

That said, we have a shortage of talent in this position. We need someone who can play football out from the back and keep goal; someone who is confident on the ball and can see and play passes. That is not Pickford.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As inappropriate (and likely inaccurate) as it is, I'm going to say it anyway...

I reckon he's got ADHD.

I agree with comments above re his distribution and his England shelf life beyond Southgate. As good a shot stopper as he is, he's not the keeper you want in a team that builds from the back.
I was going to say this. Having watched him in 3 games this tournament some of the stuff he does is very odd. During warm ups, when we have the ball down the other end. He definitely isn’t a ‘calming influence’ on the other players who sometimes have to tell him to calm down.

But fantastic goalkeeper - he has saved a penalty in every tournament he’s played in.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He is an excellent goalkeeper. He is not a modern footballing keeper. He will not survive Southgate.
He will almost certainly survive Southgate. Sometimes it sounds like there's a dozen English goalkeepers just sitting around waiting for their chance to be the England nr 1. In reality the options are very limited. Ramsdale, Dean Henderson etc... talented for sure. Like Chris Kirkland, Joe Hart, Ben Foster, Jason Steele, Paul Robinson, Jack Butland, Scott Carson, Angus Gunn, Freddie Woodman... all "the future of England" and "finally we have a top keeper"... and then reality hits like a truck: they were hyped not because of their quality but because of being English.

Pickford had the same status as "the future" at one point and while he's by no means a top, top goalie, he certainly accomplished more than most, and he is one of very few English goalkeepers that have any business playing in the latter stages of an international tournament. Though things could happen, this is likely to be the case again in two years.

Next England manager really doesn't have much from to choose from. If Southgate goes after this tournament, I still think Pickford will remain the starting goalie. The only real option atm is Nick Pope, who is even less of a modern goalie.
I know.a number of Everton season ticket holders and they all consider him to be genuinely one of the best players in their squad with the ball at his feet. He suffers for England in the same way he does for Everton. Having a lumpen and static team in front of him. I really think the easy narrative about him is similar to the way people who don't watch Dunk week in week out have about him.

I had the misfortune of listening to arsenal fans discuss dunks inclusion in the England team recently and they said there was a 'place for him' as all teams need a "yard dog stopper" an old fashioned centre half. It won't matter how many games he has 98% + pass completion stats or how many times we watch him play delicate passes all over the place and retain possession in difficult spaces, it's not the narrative.

Same with Pickford. Twice semi finalist and finalist at the latest 3 International tournaments, and single handedly saving a dogshìte team from relegation 3 seasons in a row but apparently he's a lucky shot stopper with elbows for feet.
He isn't. Goalkeepers can be good with their feet, but anyone who believes their goalkeeper is better than any PL outfield player knows nothing about football.
76 hoofs in the Euros in the four games before the quarter final
Nearest other keeper 44

So just giving away possession each time

Presumably what he’s told to do.
He's been the top hoofing keeper in 3 of his 4 tournaments. Last World Cup being the exception because the group stage was easy enough for England to not really use the keeper.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Kudos for the penalty save, did you see his water bottle?

View attachment 185316
This makes me chuckle. A risky strategy when everyone knows it's written down - should he stick with it? should the taker automatically do different? Does it add even more pressure on him (Jordan it was written down for you! or the taker? Not sure it helps really...... but then if it means he saves 1 in 5 then worth it.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
He’s a great keeper playing in the wrong era. If this was the 90’s / 00’s he’d be regarded as one of the best. Because there aren’t many with better shot stopping and he can kick it for miles. I like his antics personally, at least it shows some personality which is often lacking in the modern day footballer.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He’s a great keeper playing in the wrong era. If this was the 90’s / 00’s he’d be regarded as one of the best. Because there aren’t many with better shot stopping and he can kick it for miles. I like his antics personally, at least it shows some personality which is often lacking in the modern day footballer.
There's 22 players on the pitch every game who could "kick it for miles".
They just don't, since its shit.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
There's 22 players on the pitch every game who could "kick it for miles".
They just don't, since it’s shit.
I know which I why I said he’s playing in the wrong era. A keeper with a long kick used to be a massive strength when every team had a target man and a poacher upfront, ‘little and large’ front 2. Now it’s a weakness in the modern game.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Ah but, he is consistently Everton’s best player because Everton are awful and he is called into play a lot. That doesn’t make him the best keeper in England.

That said, we have a shortage of talent in this position. We need someone who can play football out from the back and keep goal; someone who is confident on the ball and can see and play passes. That is not Pickford.
That honestly doesn't make sense. Of course they are terrible and of course that means he's busy. That isn't the thing that makes him excellent and theirbplayer ofnthe seasonnfor 3 sasons in a row is his ability to rise to that and consistently perform every time, under intense pressure and single handedly keep them up.

Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley were all much worse than Everton last season and their goalkeepers were much busier. It didn't make them players of the season. They were just crap, let in loads of goals and got relegated.

And he's not the best keeper in England. He's the best English keeper. By a mile

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I wouldn't fault his shot stopping, but his distribution of the ball is poor. He looks not at all comfortable with short passes, and his long balls mainly go straight to the opposition.

As said above, in the modern game you want more from a keeper than just shot stopping. And that is in no way meant to denigrate the importance of shot stopping.
This - his distribution is appalling and if he's been coached to lump the ball up the pitch every time thus conceding possession then the coaching is also appalling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This makes me chuckle. A risky strategy when everyone knows it's written down - should he stick with it? should the taker automatically do different? Does it add even more pressure on him (Jordan it was written down for you! or the taker? Not sure it helps really...... but then if it means he saves 1 in 5 then worth it.
Did he go the right way for all the pens last night?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
This - his distribution is appalling and if he's been coached to lump the ball up the pitch every time thus conceding possession then the coaching is also appalling.
He does the same thing for Everton. One of the top hoofers every year.
His long balls aren't bad actually, but no matter how good you are at hoofing it, completion ratio will never be above 40%. Hoofing goalies are one of the best ways to lose the ball over and over.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
90’s were jam packed with good keepers. The 90’s were golden period of goalkeepers. I don’t think he be even top 20

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here