Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jordan Henderson - Saudi move not about the money

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well that’s cleared that up then… It’s not about the dosh.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1313611.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jordan Henderson on going to Saudi Arabia: "I'm not a politician. I never have been and never wanted to be. I have never tried to change laws or rules in England, never mind in a different country where I'm not from.

"So I'm not saying that I'm going there to do that. But what I'm saying is people know what my values are and the people who know me know what my values are. And my values don't change because I'm going to a different country where the laws of the country might be different.

"Now, I see that as a positive thing. I see that because, from their [Saudi] side, they knew that before signing it. So they knew what my beliefs were. They knew what causes and campaigns I've done in the past and not once was it brought up. Not once have they said, 'You can do this, you can't do this.' And I think it can only be a positive thing to try to open up like around Qatar"

Denis Amiss on the Rebel Tour of a South Africa under apartheid: "There was some money in it, obviously, but I loved South Africa. It was sold to us that we were going to go around schools – black and white – and coach. So that was good, because I was not an apartheid person. I felt very sorry that the country was in the situation it was, but we played some really good cricket, and I hope we helped a country that was in turmoil."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What a TOOL.

Henderson: People will see this club come with loads of money and he’s just gone, “Yeah, I’m going.” When in reality that just wasn’t the case at all. People can believe me or not, but in my life and my career, money has never been a motivation. Ever. Don’t get me wrong, when you move, the business deal has to be tight. You have to have financials, you have to feel wanted, you have to feel valued. And money is a part of that. But that wasn’t the sole reason. And these possibilities came up before money was even mentioned.

🤢 🤮 :tosser:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Footballers will be above the law there.

This sports-washing project is one of the government's top priorities. And there's no independent judiciary.

Any Saudi police who arrests a player for breaking the local laws will never be seen again.
They are above the law here too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Clearly a very needy individual, not just enough to be successful and have a lot of money, he has to be seen and appreciated as well. Rather betrays through this interview that his previous comments/actions were little more than a personal PR campaign rather than being based on some kind of deeply held conviction too. What a prick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I heard the interviewer on talksport earlier, saying that opinions would be divided as to how sincere he's being. Reading this thread, I'm not sure I've ever seen NSC so united.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Convincing himself that that's true. And all these other players arent going there for the money are they Jordan?

If it wasnt about money why didnt he look for another Prem club like Lallana did? Could have stayed in a top league, earning decent money, avoided moving his family to a country with a horrible human rights record, and im sure he would have found a club ''that made him feel wanted''....
He could have stayed at Liverpool. What an absolute bell end. At least own it you knobber. Just when you think he had no dignity left, he manages to shed a little more.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm of two minds here. High profile players being paid an absolute mint to play football in a land whose rules on human rights are dodgy. Thousands of workers across a vast array of vocations, have gone to work in similar places, but very little has been written about them. I know it's mainly about the high profile bit but how many people, given the chance to be set up for life, would jump at the opportunity and turn a blind eye?
I'm not condoning what goes on in those countries by not airing my condemnation of said high profile people, but surely if the rules of a country are opposite to what you practice, you would avoid going there.
If you're openly homosexual, take or deal in drugs or do anything to readily break the rules of that country, why be so surprised with how they react.
Yes, the rules need to change but not by poking the bear.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
If you're openly homosexual, take or deal in drugs or do anything to readily break the rules of that country, why be so surprised with how they react.
Whilst I doubt you really meant to equate them, this has always been a narrative when justifying a countries attitude to issues such as LGTBQ+. We're lobbed in alongside Paedophiles, now Drug Dealers, it's like it's a stain on the society that has accepted that we're just people who love a person outside of the normative man and woman relationship. That's why I'll give Henderson shit all day long for his decision to go to Saudi.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Whilst I doubt you really meant to equate them, this has always been a narrative when justifying a countries attitude to issues such as LGTBQ+. We're lobbed in alongside Paedophiles, now Drug Dealers, it's like it's a stain on the society that has accepted that we're just people who love a person outside of the normative man and woman relationship. That's why I'll give Henderson shit all day long for his decision to go to Saudi.
Just because I'm indifferent to current affairs doesn't mean I won't boo him when he plays for England! I don't normally watch waistcoat teams, but if our captain is playing I'll be watching.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A couple of years in the desert for a few million quid?
Yeah, I would...

And, let's be honest, who wouldn't?
Anyone with an ounce of decency or moral fibre.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm of two minds here. High profile players being paid an absolute mint to play football in a land whose rules on human rights are dodgy. Thousands of workers across a vast array of vocations, have gone to work in similar places, but very little has been written about them. I know it's mainly about the high profile bit but how many people, given the chance to be set up for life, would jump at the opportunity and turn a blind eye?
I'm not condoning what goes on in those countries by not airing my condemnation of said high profile people, but surely if the rules of a country are opposite to what you practice, you would avoid going there.
If he’s not going to poke the bear, or anyone else come to that, with his proported high moral standing he shouldn’t be going.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah, I would...

If you're already worth £25 million and earning £5m a year? I wouldn't.

And a lot of players are turning the move down.

We know that some players are taking the move, but what's ridiculous about Henderson is that he's trying to pretend he's not sold his soul.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yeah, I would...

I for one most definitely would not be going somewhere that I wouldn't want my kids experiencing the oppressive culture and couldn't invite over half my family & friends because they are at risk of being jailed there. Feel free to throw millions into the equation, but the answer stays the same.

He's a professional footballer, he'd be earning more than most of us can spend in a lifetime wherever he plied his trade, so this is a pretty weak justification for dumping his morals and selling his soul. Then to try to justify it as being about developing football for a new generation or some such bollocks is pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here