Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Cousins

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well that decides it for me, if what your contact says is true, the very last thing we need is someone who could ruin that tight knit team spirit we have. I'm sure that we won't be beaten mentality helped to win us quite a lot of points last season.

Pretty much my thinking. If he is correct then we are possibly better off without. His exact words were 'He's a bit of a prick'

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Pretty much my thinking. If he is correct then we are possibly better off without. His exact words were 'He's a bit of a prick'

Forget him then, now that we have Sidwell permanantly to back up Kayal & Stephens, (presuming they both stay of course), then it's doubtful that we really need Cousins anyway.

Lets save our budget and spend big on a flagship striker. I mean, if it aint broke, why fix it?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Forget him then, now that we have Sidwell permanantly to back up Kayal & Stephens, (presuming they both stay of course), then it's doubtful that we really need Cousins anyway.

Lets save our budget and spend big on a flagship striker. I mean, if it aint broke, why fix it?

Agreed. We could happily keep Ince as a fifth option in midfield rather than spending £3 million on a player who is unlikely to feature regularly unless we sell one of Stephens or Kayal

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Were kayal and Stephens actually offered new deals or was it that they were going to be offered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As much as I like both players, JFC and Ince are a million miles away from being capable of what Kayal, Stephens or Sidwell do as a two man centre midfield.

I think for the sake of their careers they both need to move on. Ince needs to drop a level and either learn his trade as a CM or go back to being a CD.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As much as I like both players, JFC and Ince are a million miles away from being capable of what Kayal, Stephens or Sidwell do as a two man centre midfield.

I think for the sake of their careers they both need to move on. Ince needs to drop a level and either learn his trade as a CM or go back to being a CD.

For Ince to find his level as Central Defender I fear he would have to drop out of the league.
Defensive Midfield in a side that would play him screening the back four (we don't and won't under Hughton) he has a half decent shout at Championship level if he continues to develop. My main concern is that his ability to read a game seems a bit limited but he has the physique, can tackle, can pass. and can shoot.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I personally think it's a bit naive to think we don't need another central midfielder.

If Hughton doesn't think that Ince/JFC/Holla are up to scratch then we will have 3 central midfielders. All it takes is one injury and all of sudden we're extremely light with 2 players having to play 90 minutes every game, which we saw last season really jaded Kayal and Stephens. There are also games where we will play a 4-3-3 away from home. Yet again, it would only take one injury to have Bruno forced in to the middle.

Maybe Cousins isn't the answer, but I would want at least 4 options in the middle of the park, ideally 5 with the 5th option being able to double up and play another position.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I personally think it's a bit naive to think we don't need another central midfielder.

If Hughton doesn't think that Ince/JFC/Holla are up to scratch then we will have 3 central midfielders. All it takes is one injury and all of sudden we're extremely light with 2 players having to play 90 minutes every game, which we saw last season really jaded Kayal and Stephens. There are also games where we will play a 4-3-3 away from home. Yet again, it would only take one injury to have Bruno forced in to the middle.

Maybe Cousins isn't the answer, but I would want at least 4 options in the middle of the park, ideally 5 with the 5th option being able to double up and play another position.

Its a big season for Richie Towell in our mid field.........

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Assuming we don't sign Cousins...........

1.Stephens
2. Kayal
3. Sidwell
4. Towell
5. one of JFC (my preference) Holla or Ince

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Assuming we don't sign Cousins...........

1.Stephens
2. Kayal
3. Sidwell
4. Towell
5. one of JFC (my preference) Holla or Ince

A lot of pressure on Towell if we get an injury then. Hard to judge him off such little playing time for us. I'd also throw in the fact that he appears to be an extremely attack minded player which is a great option to have BUT isn't as useful if we're 2-1 up with 15 minutes away from home and Sidwell is limping off.

Different opinions and all that but I'd personally feel much more positive about the season ahead if we had another all rounder in central midfield and Towell starting the season as a 5th choice CM and a 3rd choice smaller striker to play off Hemed/Murray with a chance to prove his worth in the League Cup.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
2 POTS at Charlton suggest he just might be....

Ince won ours.

I really think if we are signing players they need to be a lot better than we've got.

I genuinely don't know anything about Cousins hence the question, he certainly hasn't stood out when I've watched us play Charlton. In fact I think only Lookman did.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ince won ours.

I really think if we are signing players they need to be a lot better than we've got.

I genuinely don't know anything about Cousins hence the question, he certainly hasn't stood out when I've watched us play Charlton. In fact I think only Lookman did.
Ince won Young POTS. Cousins won POTS x2.

But I'm really not sure he's worth the hassle if he's been dragging it out this long, and the hints at an attitude problem don't help. There are so many midfielders on the planet - let's move on to another.

Also, he would have been 3rd choice rightback after Bruno and Rosenior.
If we get the Forbes deal done, would this be a suggestion that we are going for a different midfielder ( Kasey Palmer ??? ) now ?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A lot of pressure on Towell if we get an injury then. Hard to judge him off such little playing time for us. I'd also throw in the fact that he appears to be an extremely attack minded player which is a great option to have BUT isn't as useful if we're 2-1 up with 15 minutes away from home and Sidwell is limping off.

Different opinions and all that but I'd personally feel much more positive about the season ahead if we had another all rounder in central midfield and Towell starting the season as a 5th choice CM and a 3rd choice smaller striker to play off Hemed/Murray with a chance to prove his worth in the League Cup.

Not really. If there's an injury, Sidwell would presumably step in, with Towell then becoming the back-up option. He did enough in that second half of the Sheff Wed away tie to indicate that he deserves more chances, and can step up to high pressured situations. He was also playing that defensive midfield role then, as we were down to ten men for most the time he was on the pitch -- which just goes to show that he's adaptable and intelligent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here