Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Edwards, let it go!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone hear him on the Olympics highlights tonight having a dig at Philips Odowu?
He claimed that Philips Odowu, "never showed me respect".
Not very Christian to kick a man when he's down, you bible bashing twat.

f*** sake, it's only the hop, skip & jump anyway!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone hear him on the Olympics highlights tonight having a dig at Philips Odowu?
He claimed that Philips Odowu, "never showed me respect".
Not very Christian to kick a man when he's down, you bible bashing twat.

f*** sake, it's only the hop, skip & jump anyway!

Yes, I was half watching when he said that.... I notice the presenter quickly moved the debate along .... I find that practising Christians tend to be gits quite often....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
yeah i saw that, thought it was a bit strange

funnily enough, I have a lot of time for the ex-olympians who have been rolled out this time round..Johnson is always worth listening to, Redgrave.. interesting....Pinsent always acts like a playful schoolboy but is great fun... Jackson.. enthusiastic and fun ....Edwards...twat.. nuff said

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Michael Johnson is superb and very supportive of British Athletics.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Michael Johnson is superb and very supportive of British Athletics.

Agree and seemed perfectly relaxed about his record being beaten compared to Edwards who said he is not ready for his record to be broken!!

Johnson has strong opinions and really talks sense. Listening to him talk he follows all the athletes and is not afraid to criticise his own nation when he thinks they have under performed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agree and seemed perfectly relaxed about his record being beaten compared to Edwards who said he is not ready for his record to be broken!!

Johnson has strong opinions and really talks sense. Listening to him talk he follows all the athletes and is not afraid to criticise his own nation when he thinks they have under performed.

He is not afraid to speak his mind and, having been at the very top you must respect his opinions.... he is like a black Geoffrey Boycott:lol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes Johnathan is no longer a Christian, he backed down from Songs Of Praise during 2007 due to his loss of faith, and has stated in recent interviews he is cynical about the existance of God.

Never knew that, won't go down well with MA as he always says keep the faith

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, I was half watching when he said that.... I notice the presenter quickly moved the debate along .... I find that practising Christians tend to be gits quite often....

Read an article about him last year where he completely denounced religion. The way he was talking was a little like the bishop in father ted who turned to Dougal and said ''Its a load of crap really isn`t it.

He wondered why he believed in it all when there was not a scrap of evidence.

Jul 5, 2003
Saw that tonight and was a little surprised to hear what Edwards said but I did think that he was trying to qualify his statement but wasn't given the chance. He tried repeating what he said and was cut off a second time.

Of course Edwards does hold a record that is unlikely to be beaten in a long time (18m29cm) and it does deserve a bit of respect! I believe Willie Banks may be the only other athlete to jump over 18m (18m20cm) and that was with a tail wind of 5metres/Second so didn't count.

If you want to see the longest jump ever follow this link -

YouTube - Jonathan Edwards 18,43

Although that jump didn't stand, as it was wind assisted, it was so long that they seriously considered moving the take-off board back a bit as Edwards was in danger of stepping into the pit before he reached the jump phase. (Stop the video at about 9 seconds and you will see he was less than 1 metre from the sand). Believe they decided not to do that as there was more danger that some (club) athletes wouldn't actually reach the sand after their final phase!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was on holiday in the UK a few years ago and they had Edwards jump marked out on the seafront pavement. It was massive. Can anyone remind me where it was?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

The Beeb have done really well to get Michael Johnson on board, he is one of those blokes who when he opens his mouth you know it will be worth listening...also I loved his reaction when his record was broken, he seemed genuinely made up for Bolt, the sign of a true sportsman.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Oct 25, 2003
I was on holiday in the UK a few years ago and they had Edwards jump marked out on the seafront pavement. It was massive. Can anyone remind me where it was?

remind you where you went on holiday?

i know he lives in newcastle so it might be somewhere on the coast round here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here