Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jon Obika

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He almost managed to kick a ball out of the Amex, which given that our stands are all pretty tall, would have been a first and quite a feat. He only scored once, versus Port Vale in the FA Cup, and almost managed to mess that one up. Mind you, we also had Leroy Lita on loan last season, a former player of yours. Others will probably disagree, but from what I saw of him, he couldn't trap a bag of cement - a bit unkind maybe, but the ball always seemed to rebound half way back up the pitch if it came to him. I don't know how he was for you.

Jun 26, 2014
Ah, not the kind of response I expected then.

Other forums I have posted on about Jon have made claims of 'Laziness.'

This ring any bells?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Best to ask the Charlton fans, think they liked him.

Not sure if he was given much of a chance here, the few he did have he didn't take.

Jun 26, 2014
He almost managed to kick a ball out of the Amex, which given that our stands are all pretty tall, would have been a first and quite a feat. He only scored once, versus Port Vale in the FA Cup, and almost managed to mess that one up. Mind you, we also had Leroy Lita on loan last season, a former player of yours. Others will probably disagree, but from what I saw of him, he couldn't trap a bag of cement - a bit unkind maybe, but the ball always seemed to rebound half way back up the pitch if it came to him. I don't know how he was for you.
I have been to the AMEX the first season it opened, when we brought over 2,000, lovely stadium.

Lita is a club legend, was brilliant for us in his younger days, before moving onto Swansea.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Seriously, I wouldn't pin any hopes on him.

If Bristol City are sleeping giants, he will be a 50mg dose of Mogadon.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ah, not the kind of response I expected then.

Other forums I have posted on about Jon have made claims of 'Laziness.'

This ring any bells?

Yes, he only attempted to play football for about five minutes per game. Although he may have mitigation in saying that it was all the time we allowed him on the pitch.

Jun 26, 2014
The thing is, we are desperate for strikers.

We have the two best strikers in the league, in Baldock and JET, but that is all we have.

We need backup and competition, we were in for a young lad called Will Grigg from Brentford? Don't know if any of you have heard of him, but he seemed to be highly rated.

So I think we are just looking at Obika as backup, but from what some of you are saying, he isn't even worthy of a backup striker of a League One promotion chasing team.

The thing is, we are desperate for strikers.

He's not even a footballer let alone a striker.

Lazy piece of shit, the only player ever to wear the Stripes I would have gladly punched in the face............repeatedly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Didn't impress the management enough to get any sort of a chance so no matter what anyone on here says we dont really know how good he might be (or not). He was good at Charlton the year before but came to us after an injury lay-off and by the time he went back out to the addicks after leaving us he had no confidence and couldn't get on the pitch for them either.

my instinct is he will do well in league 1.

Jun 26, 2014
The thing is, our fans are going on and on about 'If an offer comes in for JET for £1 million, definitely take it,' but the fact we are looking into an offer of around 500k for Jon, suggests to me that £1 million cannot buy you 20 goals a season at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here