Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Vinicombe RIP

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
RIP John. A great reporter/author and a real gent.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This is indeed sad news. I was an exile for part of the seventies, and used to have each Monday's Argus posted to me on subscription, so keen was I to read John Vinicombe's views of the game.

John Vinicombe was an important part of following the Albion. R.I.P.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Vinnicombe's Virdict.

In the days before the Net, Sky etc, his opinion was important, if only to disagree with it. I have his 3 Albion books but did he ever publis a book of memoirs? I'd bet he had loads of tales about Sussex sport.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'm glad he got to see us at The Amex.. Always had a good story to tell, top man!

RIP JV

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sad news. His reporting was great because when you got the late edition saturday argus, it meant you got to know in detail about two games long before MOTD was on. The game you went to at the Goldstone and the game JV saw, which invariable, were two different things!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is indeed sad news. I was an exile for part of the seventies, and used to have each Monday's Argus posted to me on subscription, so keen was I to read John Vinicombe's views of the game.

John Vinicombe was an important part of following the Albion. R.I.P.

Same here. My dad used to send his reports up to me every week when I was at uni. He often seemed to see a different game to the one I'd just seen but his reports were always essential reading and part of Albion folklore.

RIP for a true Brighton fan

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sad news indeed.

He was a guest on The Roar a couple of years ago, and this show still remains my favourite. He was great talker, very knowledgeable, a great raconteur with a treasure trove of stories.

I'll see if we can fish that particular episode out, because he was great to listen to.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Really sad news. Like a few have said, he was a big part of my Albion life in the past and his books were always a great read in the days before the flood of football books hit the shelves.

He was a great supporter of the Collectors and Historians Society as well.

RIP John

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Another piece of my past lost forever. Without John I would never have looked at an Argus. RIP

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What incredibly sad news. I knew John personally, I played cricket with his son bob for many years at kemp town and John would come along and watch and have a beer after the game. He would tell us tremendous stories, especially the way Albion directors treated alan mullery the second time he came here. He was a lovely man.

god bless John and the family.
dave

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Again, part of my Albion history when I was younger. RIP John.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here