Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Terry+

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well, the cheating allegedly caused a split in the locker room, he got a box at wembley at a special discount rate then sold it on the black market, enlisted a marketing agency to cash in on the world cup (not entirely sure why that is so bad, personally), I remember there being something about selling tours of somewhere he didn't have a right to.

Argument against from matt lawton
Fabio Capello can expect a backlash if the axe falls on England captain Rio Ferdinand | Mail Online

Argument for from Martin Samuel
MARTIN SAMUEL: Time is RIGHT to give John Terry captaincy | Mail Online

It was Stamford Bridge, and he's still Chelsea's captain. And i think you mean the "alleged" cheating, whereas the actual England captain is an 'alleged drug cheat' and actual maker of the Ayia Napa sex tape

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a weakness of our national game that in the last 12 months no one has stepped forward to fill the role Tery may regain.

Ferdinand is one the wrong side of 30 and having been fit enough to be captain for 4 out of the last 13 international is a problem. The stats also back up Terry's claim; he has a better winning percentage than Bobby Moore and David Beckham.

This is also an indictment of Rooney. 12 months ago you'd have hoped he might be the sort of man to fill the captaincy role a year on. Now that year's up I'd say Jack Wilshere is more likely to be the next permanent captain of England than Wayne Rooney.

In theory Capello could make someone like Michael Dawson captain - he did the job with aplomb against AC Milan for Spurs last week. The problem is even if Terry doesn't wear the armband if he's in the side then he's the de facto captain on the field.

I agree with Terry that it's farcicle in a friendly when the captain goes off and the armband is passed around from Rio to Gerrard to Lampard etc while Terry's still on the pitch.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Replace with Painter - no one would know the difference.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Get rid of both Terry and Capello.
Capello should have gone after World Cup shambles....an opinion I put forward on here at the time.
IMHO,he is just serving out his very expensive time and has no real interest in developing the national side.Time to cut losses,haggle over his pay off and appoint Mickey Adams!:lol::)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not in a million years.

Should be Steven Gerrard.

Ah yes, that pillar of the community...

They're all complete arses as far as I can see, I have very little respect for any of them. I don't really know what other options there are...I suppose Lampard has the cleanest reputation and even that includes a couple of less than professional incidents.

FFS, even the u21s seem to think they can get away with anything if you believe the papers. Last Sunday had Jack Rodwell texting photos of his meat & two veg to Wayne Rooney's favourite hooker. Jack Rodwell, for crying out loud. More money than brains, the lot of 'em. And that's the future of England?

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
It is a difficult one though. I despise the man, and from a professionalism point of view he should never be captain again. Thing is, from a footballing perspective he's the best man for the job. There are no other obvious suitable candidates (certainly none who are fit - I think Gerrard is more than adequate), and as has already been said, he tends to take leadership in defence regardless of the actual captaincy anyway.

I'd like Wilshere to be captain one day but he's got a lot of maturing to do first.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's just such a non-story whipped up by irresponsible hacks, who has the captaincy in football is almost irrelevant.

Darren Gough said today that in professional cricket often the captain is paid 50 per cent more than the rest (Chris Adams a good example) for all the extra responsibility from participation in selection, to continual on-field decision-making for up to four days for counties. I can understand why, it is a massive deal. In football, you don't even need one, there should be leaders out there anyway, and all the selection and tactics is down to the manager. And I'd be willing to bet they aren't paid much extra for the honour, reflecting the negligible importance.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I really don't care. I'm not that fussed about captaincy at any club, and my interest in the england team has waned somewhat in recent years.

Totally agree. It is not because we are poor - I would have given up on our cricket team (Sussex/England) and Brighton long ago if that was the case.

I don't like any of our players. I don't like their attitudes. They could give the captaincy to Gaddaffi and I would still not be moved to take an interest in watching them play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Totally agree. It is not because we are poor - I would have given up on our cricket team (Sussex/England) and Brighton long ago if that was the case.

I was thinking about this this morning. Why don't I care any more?

Sure, I found the mass hysteria of the media after our failures under steve mclaren more entartaining than any of the matches and that perhaps started my loss of interest, but I'm thinking the core of the current england squad are pretty much the first generation of players where it is the norm to put their club ahead of the national team, and if the players don't care about the national side and their games, why should I?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No. My main issue with him is seeing him on the floor blubbing his eyes out after losing the penalty shoot out for the European Cup a few years back. I prefer my leaders to be made of stronger mental material and more magnanimous in defeat.

Oh, and recently when asked about Chelsea's slump and what was required to put it right he simply said 'we need to man up.' Yeah, very deep John.

To me this is not leadership material. Far from it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No.
The England captain used to be a role model for kids to look up to. Sadly, people like Terry have just used the position to boost their egos and make as big a personal gain as they can out of it. I agree with the comments re not having a permanent skipper, but give it on a match by match basis to someone who deserves it on merit and attitude.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
No, after the debacle of the World cup, we should have ditched most of the current squad. Obviously England needs some experienced players to help the younger new breed settle. But I really think that the time is right to give Jack Wilshire the captaincy, and build the team around him. There are some very promising youngsters up and coming. But Capello will bury his head in the sand as usual, and play his 'tried and tested' failures yet again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really don't care. I'm not that fussed about captaincy at any club, and my interest in the england team has waned somewhat in recent years.

this.

i find it hard to support a team that i think are all complete wankers......shame really.

I couldn't agree more, I have lost any enthusiasm when it comes to England, I'd much rather watch Cricket or even Rugby Union.

Capello is a busted flush. Who cares. I mean really. Who cares ?

............../\

Bored of wankers representing the country, bored of England being utter shithouse, bored of pointless, money-making, crap friendlies, bored of commentators gushing at the next crop when we all know how mediocre they will end up being in a few years time, bored of golf buddy thicky "experts" and their gravy train studio jobs, bored of foreign managers and their enormous salaries that don't appear to be performance related, bored of watching England really and I'd rather watch international cricket or rugby union these days.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We dont really know what these guys are like, do we.

We all accept the headlines in the papers, even though most of us know they are unlikely to be accurate.

If we had reporters following us 24/7, some plotting against us and so called 'friends' offering snippets of 'tittle tattle', whilst random men abuse me and random women want to entice me then we too might of struggle to survive the relentless exposure.

Of course they have wealth beyond most peoples wildest dreams and to a point they are privileged, but 'ROLE MODELS' come on do me a favour, they just happen to be very good at playing football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here