Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Templeman...

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
picked me up in his cab yesterday, shared some stories of back in the day, he was before my time, but my Dad remembers him well. The only thing i am a bit confused is that he said played when Mullery was manager and as far as I can see he didn't. Anyone else been in his cab? Not sure whether he got confused or was making the whole thing up! ???

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He was gone long before Mullery but was here under Clough.

Peter taylor sold him to exeter as part of the deal that brought Fred Binney to the Goldstone.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Remember John...he onced refereed a match or two...I was playing for the Evening Argus and scored a very rare goal...he said I nearly disallowed that for a foul on the goalie...I said if you had had done I would'nt support him at Brighton....nice bloke...decent player.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Renowned for his wayward shooting! I clearly remember he was more likely to hit the Nort stand roof than the back of the net.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Nice bloke.Used to see him in Bognor when he was a player;always ready for a chat.
Played a major part in Willie Irvine's famous goal,that is on one of the u-tube things..............Templeman,Bromley,Templeman and the rest we know about!
Also scored the goal at home to Rochdale in 1972 I think.We needed a point to go up and Rochdale needed a point to stay up.Surprise surprise,the result was a 1-1 draw!
33,000 crowd with about another 3000 who couldn't get in that evening.Great times.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Nice bloke.Used to see him in Bognor when he was a player;always ready for a chat.
Played a major part in Willie Irvine's famous goal,that is on one of the u-tube things..............Templeman,Bromley,Templeman and the rest we know about!
Also scored the goal at home to Rochdale in 1972 I think.We needed a point to go up and Rochdale needed a point to stay up.Surprise surprise,the result was a 1-1 draw!
33,000 crowd with about another 3000 who couldn't get in that evening.Great times.

I thought it was 36,000 inside and an estimated 10,000 outside for the Rochdale game. Anyway, a fantastic evening. I don't remember the goal but I know it was Templeman.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I thought it was 36,000 inside and an estimated 10,000 outside for the Rochdale game. Anyway, a fantastic evening. I don't remember the goal but I know it was Templeman.

Hi Seagull58.I think I am correct about the attendance,but no doubt someone will come up with the stats.
I was living in Bournemouth at the time and prayed that my ancient Austin A40 would get me to the Goldstone without breaking down.I shouldn't have worried, no probs.Arrived pretty early 'cos of parking and as you say,a fantastic evening!
Blimey,just realised the match was 40 years ago today!Am I really that old!

Crowd 34,766 according to some records.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here