Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Peel RIP

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I remember one evening he came on with a very sore throat and could hardly speak. In a whisper he managed to declare that what he really needed was a Dutch schoolgirl to stick her tongue down his throat. I still have it on tape somewhere as I was taping him at the time. Probably couldn't get away with that these days. RIP, JP. :wave: :cry:

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Genuinely shocked by this...

His contribution to music is on a par with that of some of the greatest pop musicians IMHO, certainly to the extent that his broadcasts touched my life.

Leaves a huge gap in radio broadcasting. RIP.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Terrible news. When I did my first John Peel Session (brag brag) I was gutted because I thought you got to meet him! I was really disappointed when I found out it was recorded in advance and he wasn't actually there.

RIP John, they'll never be another.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Very very sad:(

Surely the man with the best taste in music ever?

Didn't turn his nose up at anything.

That's gutting

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Absolutely gutted by this, I remember chatting to him whilst watching Dodgy on the nme stage at GLastonbury a long time ago and he was giving me and my mates his thoughts on the bands of the day and recommended us going to see certain bands which we did.

TOtal legend and sorely missed broadcaster.

What a total shock.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
The man was a legend. If I could listen to music as open-mindedly as he could, I would be a better person.

R.I.P.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Last original Radio 1 DJ gone...

They're playing Teenage Kicks again - probably the most famous song he's responsible for getting to air.

I've got a videotape off my Sky box playing the last-ever-Orbital gig, which he arranged. Great man with an amazing influenece.

Amazing how he could cross generations - my mother and father both listened to his shows on R1, as well as his recent Radio 4 shows, and all my (much older) brothers and sisters also listened to him. I didn't as much as Radio 1 was no longer on MW and hence not available here till the cable company and Sky picked it up.

He'll be a great loss to the music industry, and a great loss to any new band wanting to get airplay.

hill 16 southwick

Jun 27, 2004
southwick
Pure legend

Responsible for introducing me to the Pogues , Smiths amongst other

RIP

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
John Peel, I salute you.

Absolute legend. Universally acknowledged.

The world will be a sadder place without him.

I shall raise a glass to the big man when I get down the pub and I'll be sticking Teenage Kicks on the jukebox

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He used to have banter with Anne Nightingale (I think it was Anne?) regarding Liverpool v Brighton back in the 80s.

Sad news!

Jul 20, 2003
Compare and give 'Festive 50' to any comercially available complilations of a years music and you will have proof of the worth of the man.

A smashing bloke, probably gave more bands their first break than anyone else, ever.

Thaks for playing all that great music John

gutted

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There's a great bit in Simon Garfield's book about Radio 1 in which, at the annual Radio 1 Christmas party, John Peel and David 'Kid' Jensen hide out in the underground car park, waiting to beat up Simon Bates.

What John Peel did for the musical taste of this country (well, me anyway... a lot of others I'm sure) is incalculable.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Those festive 50's progammes he did were the best music shows on Radio I've ever heard. I always used to tape them and still have them today. His comments in between songs always added something, usually dry and witty to what you'd just heard. Not only did he introduce me to loads of brilliant new music, he played the songs at the start and let them finish: he never spoke over them unlike so many DJ's.

John Peel is the sort of bloke you always wanted to be around... just there, doing his thing. I can't believe he's gone.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm shocked and gutted. He was truely one of a kind, and a true pioneer in his field. He'll be so sadly missed by so many, and my thoughts are with his family. I hope they can take some comfort in the fact he touched and inspired so many over his long career; the messages on here alone are testament to that.

Truely gutted tonight.:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here