Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Peel RIP

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He suffered a heart attack shortly after being taken ill during a working holiday in the city of Cuzco, Peru, with his wife Sheila.

Gutted.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bloody hell! I was listening to him on the radio only a week or so ago. This is shocking.

RIP old boy. :(

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No f***ing way.

:nono:

John Peel is an absolute legend, what terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends (of which he has many).

RIP John, you were a great man.

Gutted, absolutely gutted.

:(

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
:( :( how sad and awful to happen whilst on holiday too.

RIP. I loved his show.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
No way :ohmy:
The guy is a legend in music and broadcasting.

Very sad news indeed :(

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
This is... unexpected

Great man, great tastes in music.

I hope he gets the funeral he wanted (the Undertones playing Teenage Kicks as he gets buried, IIRC) anyway.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really sad. I've been listening to him since the early 70s, he turned me on to so many bands.

RIP, John.

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
I'm really saddened by this - I remember listening to his Sounds of the Sixties show when I was at school. He used to play all the alternative stuff rather than the commercial crap. I'll really miss him. RIP.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
f*** thats nasty, Great man with a great reputation, he will be sorely missed

R.I.P. John Peel

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Top bloke. When I was at University I wrote to him asking if I could interview for him for a project I was doing.

I received a phone call in my halls or residence from a "Mr Peel", and it was him indeed.

He invited a group of us round to his house for the day and we sat round his kitchen table whilst he made us tea.

Showed us his massive (and I mean massive) record collection - so big that many of his records had never been played.

Told us many, many stories about his radio one days all the gossip about the DJs, his love of Liverpool FC etc. and how we was still in awe of great rock stars like Kirk Curbain when he met them. He said that he was a very very lucky man because the very thing he loved more than anything was the thing he did as a living.

Was interested in any type of new music he hadn't heard before. A frustrated musician himself, he just loved listening to new bands of any genre. I seem to recall he was listening to death metal that week.

I asked him what his all time favourite song was, and without hestitation he said "Teenage Kicks"

Totally genuine bloke. Totally committed to his family as well.

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Absolutely gutted. I am a football fan second and a music fan first, and to me personally, the loss of John Peel is far more difficult to take than any footballing legend.

Top bloke, and stands for everything I believe in music-wise. Cannot believe I can't listen to his shows where he digresses on records to informally and indirectly describe exactly how I feel about music.

RIP - legend.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
RIP John.

Without his unrelenting support for all Britain's talented musical nobody's over the last 40 odd years, the music business in Britain would probably be in an even tighter grip of the marketing men than it is.

He inspired more than one generation, and will be sorely missed...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here