Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] John Mayall RIP

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
RIP

I saw him at Colston Hall in 2014, still put on a decent show then.

Coincidentally it was the day or the day after Jack Bruce died, one of the seemingly hundreds of brilliant musicians to have played with Mayall over the years.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Blues legend, 90 is a pretty good run.

So many great musicians launched their careers in the Bluesbreakers

Never a massive Blues fan but the man was a legend in music.
Legend is almost an understatement. Saw him about 15 or 20 years ago, and he was bouncing around the stage like Tigger. Enormously important.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He really was the Father of British Blues. So many musicians got their big opportunities with his band.
RIP John and thank you.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Oh no ! I am really gutted by this news. John Mayall was my all time musical hero , the very very best . I first saw him and the Bluesbreakers at the Florida rooms in the 60’s . I was blown away then and continued to be every time I saw them play .
I have seen the Bluesbreakers as a small 4 piece and as a larger band with brass … anytime they were the best .
I am glad that I outdid meet him and shake his hand …. The master .
RIP John , I guess it had to happen thank you for so much music..

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Last saw him live at Cordoba Guitar Festival in 2010, still performing in his 'wife beater vest' (as Mrs BS calls them). Excellent musician and mentor to many who followed. RIP.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The godfather of British blues. A tremendously important musician who in addition to his own talent managed to set the cream of British guitarists on their way. RIP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Over the years, I shared my birthday with a choice gang of rogues: political crooks, Jacques Chirac and Shirley Porter, Derek Jameson (Private Eye's Sid Yobbo) and, latterly, family man, Ryan Giggs. Thankfully John Mayall was a shining light among these, someone I could be happy about.

Like most people of my age, I listened to him and his impressive crop of musicians and like most music fans of my age, I owned the classic Bluesbreaker album, the one with Eric Clapton reading the Beano. I still have it and it's still an excellent LP.

In truth, John Mayall wasn't a musician of the highest level. But he was a talent spotter without parallel - there were plenty of Brian Cloughs in the British blues era, but he was the Peter Taylor.

RIP John

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Saw Mayall at The Dome in 1970. Perhaps Peter Green was incredibly shy. Perhaps he was simply dazed and confused. He was wearing a massive brown greatcoat, and did his best to blend in with the curtain at the back of the stage. It was shortly after he had left Fleetwood Mac.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Saw Mayall at The Dome in 1970. Perhaps Peter Green was incredibly shy. Perhaps he was simply dazed and confused. He was wearing a massive brown greatcoat, and did his best to blend in with the curtain at the back of the stage. It was shortly after he had left Fleetwood Mac.
I remember that as well, he did finally come out and play!! John mayall played a few times at the Dome, and always with different bands. This reminds me of listening to Mike Ravens 2 hour show on a Sunday evening on radio Luxembourg an hour of soul music, primarily Stax and then an hour of blues, with Mikes rather as I recall husky voice.....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THere are more than a few household (amongst anyone with an ear for music) names who wouldn't be if it not for John Mayall. EC the biggest.

Alongside Alexis Corner, the founders of British blues, which spawned pretty much everything until it recycled mid 70's

There's not much he didn't do, nor anyone worthwhile he didn't play with!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here