Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lydon and his butter.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever I think of him, the excellent way his PiL song is used in Waltz with Bashir almost makes me think more of him!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't care, still think he's a talentless wanker in the Jade Goody stylee.

Unfair, Jade Goody has no talent whatsoever.

The Pistols were great, and the four classics from 'Bollocks' have stood the test of time. PiL were years ahead of their time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think Lechera make butter (just milk I think), but, if I had the opportunity (not sold here), I would definitely spread it on my toast and more. I was treated to a beach volleyball contest in South America and some of the finest young chicas were handing out free milk, whilst draped (or not quite) in Lechera bikinis. Unfortunately there are no pics as my camera got stolen that very day. :angry:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
utterly_butterly_girls_352_352x470.jpg

Fine fillies. Much easier on the eye than that hunchback mong Lydon.

The one on the left has an erection :ohmy:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Unfair, Jade Goody has no talent whatsoever.

The Pistols were great, and the four classics from 'Bollocks' have stood the test of time. PiL were years ahead of their time.

No they weren't, pure hype, the couldn't play or sing and only got famous for being unpleasant, remember I'm old enough to have remembered what came before.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No they weren't, pure hype, the couldn't play or sing and only got famous for being unpleasant, remember I'm old enough to have remembered what came before.

A statement like that just shows pure ignorance of the facts.

If you’re old enough to know what came before you’re old enough to know how the media works, sensationalism sells papers and they only reported the bad things, They were young naive, and goaded by the media.

You say they were “famous for being unpleasant” what exactly was that ?
Johhny said the word “shit” on the Bill Grundy show, for which he was subsequently sacked for goading them.
OMG a singer said shit on telly, and the front pages the next days were full of it. Would not even register today,

What do you know of the benefit gigs they did for striking firemen, and children’s parties they attended and played at in support ? nothing I would guess.

As for “they couldn't play or sing” did you read that somewhere by any chance ? Absolute bollocks of course, 30 years on still playing to packed stadiums, to Quote Johnny at a live gig, “well we ain’t that f***ing bad after all are we” I know I’m biased as a fan but listen to those in the know (music people), and the bands that were influenced by them.

They are not mainstream, or classed easy listening lift music, and maybe an acquired taste, but they were different, and tried something different that worked rather than the prog rock around at the time,
Little known fact, one of the rifts from Pretty vacant was lifted/sampled for ABBA’ SOS :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A statement like that just shows pure ignorance of the facts.

If you’re old enough to know what came before you’re old enough to know how the media works, sensationalism sells papers and they only reported the bad things, They were young naive, and goaded by the media.

You say they were “famous for being unpleasant” what exactly was that ?
Johhny said the word “shit” on the Bill Grundy show, for which he was subsequently sacked for goading them.
OMG a singer said shit on telly, and the front pages the next days were full of it. Would not even register today,

What do you know of the benefit gigs they did for striking firemen, and children’s parties they attended and played at in support ? nothing I would guess.

As for “they couldn't play or sing” did you read that somewhere by any chance ? Absolute bollocks of course, 30 years on still playing to packed stadiums, to Quote Johnny at a live gig, “well we ain’t that f***ing bad after all are we” I know I’m biased as a fan but listen to those in the know (music people), and the bands that were influenced by them.

They are not mainstream, or classed easy listening lift music, and maybe an acquired taste, but they were different, and tried something different that worked rather than the prog rock around at the time,
Little known fact, one of the rifts from Pretty vacant was lifted/sampled for ABBA’ SOS :thumbsup:

You call me ignorant ? Well obviously you're either blind or not old enough to know. It wasn't just Bill Grundy's show it was a whole host of other actions which were clearly aimed at causing offence. Whatever the reasoning try to convince me that releasing God Save the Queen in her Jubilee year was not offensive to many. I'm not royalist at all but I remember the stink that caused. There are many example and the fact remains the the only bloke in the band who was a proper musician was Glen Matlock (who wrote most of their stuff) and he was replaced by Sid Vicious, I think that sums it up.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You call me ignorant ? Well obviously you're either blind or not old enough to know. It wasn't just Bill Grundy's show it was a whole host of other actions which were clearly aimed at causing offence. Whatever the reasoning try to convince me that releasing God Save the Queen in her Jubilee year was not offensive to many. I'm not royalist at all but I remember the stink that caused. There are many example and the fact remains the the only bloke in the band who was a proper musician was Glen Matlock (who wrote most of their stuff) and he was replaced by Sid Vicious, I think that sums it up.

I did not say you were ignorant, just of the facts, i would not be so rude.

I fail to see how God save the Queen is offensive, the lyrics contain no profanity, and Lydon/Matlock wrote in recognition of the Queen , Lydon is a Royalist.

You remember the stink it caused because it was all stirred up by the media, They saw the Pistols as a vehicle to sell papers,because they were different. and they used them to that effect, and the band being young kids lapped up the attention the media gave them any played the part according, quote, from Glen Matlock, at one media scrum he heard one reported say to another, " i got 3 shits and a f*** from Johhny Rotten".

The one point i will agree is the installation of Sid, this was not the best move that could have made:down:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I did not say you were ignorant, just of the facts, i would not be so rude.

I fail to see how God save the Queen is offensive, the lyrics contain no profanity, and Lydon/Matlock wrote in recognition of the Queen , Lydon is a Royalist.

You remember the stink it caused because it was all stirred up by the media, They saw the Pistols as a vehicle to sell papers,because they were different. and they used them to that effect, and the band being young kids lapped up the attention the media gave them any played the part according, quote, from Glen Matlock, at one media scrum he heard one reported say to another, " i got 3 shits and a f*** from Johhny Rotten".

The one point i will agree is the installation of Sid, this was not the best move that could have made:down:

Oh Puleese ! God Save the Queen wasn't offensive ? What are you like ? The media got hold of it because it was clearly aimed at causing offence and I just can't understand why you can't see that. Okay, it didn't bother me and probably not you either but you can hardly blame the press (for once) for kicking up a fuss about it.

Anyway, my original point is what exactly is John Lydon famous for (I wonder just how many people realise he was the Sex Pistol's Johnny Rotten) He can't sing, can't write a decent tune so he gets his face in the world's cameras by being controversial, I certainly don't call that a talent and frankly I don't see him as being that much better than Jade Goody.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lydon is an old fashioned capitalist.
The Sex Pistols were a money making machine.....nothing more or less
He has never changed and never will. Something of a fraud in my view.

Respect?

Naah

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lydon is an old fashioned capitalist.
The Sex Pistols were a money making machine.....nothing more or less
He has never changed and never will. Something of a fraud in my view.

Respect?

Naah

I wouldn't knock what he's done or what he's doing now as such I just think that some people need to get a few things in perspective which as far as I;m concerned is exactly what you've done. :thumbsup:

Realistically, GSTQ is hardly all that 'offensive' unless the shocked listener is so in awe of the 'royal family' that they see any mention of them repugnant. The Pistols were all about repugnance in the eyes and ears of such people, and 'Pretty Vacant' followed that up with some sort of aplomb.
If you now stood up as a pop icon and sang "and we don't caaaare", you'd be a laughing stock. It's been done, the swearing on national tv has been done and it's over.

At the time, the BBC banned GSTQ from their network - and of course drew more attention to the Pistols. EMI weren't best pleased either, being a mainstream upstanding old company. (who banned The Smoke "my friend Jack eats sugarlumps" and Small Faces "what did you do there? I got high", yet managed to miss the Small Faces biggest and most obvious drug tune "Here Comes The Nice"!).

This track record was gathering pace, and McClaren must have been delighted - using every stone in their passway as ammunition to hurl or show off to "the kids".
Oh how naughty those scamps were being.
Behind all this, McClaren was scooping up most of the lucre (Lydon disdainfully called it "swindle", so he really did care about the money back then too).
Glen Matlock would have deserved and been getting some return for his writing talents, and perhaps that was why HE was ousted and old pal 'Sid Vicious' brought in.

bhaexpress referring to the media's getting hold - well, the media DO like anything that excites public interest, be it seedy, 'faces of death', sex, political scandal and celebrity avarice, they will herald it to the highest high. Now some of them headline stuff like Big Brother, like it's a meaningful part of modern culture! Gerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle kind of stuff.....and Jade Goody fits into this nicely.

How seriously can people take it? Look at the fierce condemnation of Jade Goody as a human being, and ask yourselves if you care either way? Maybe she will prove to be a vicarious icon of sorts, to cancer sufferers, and the last word might be all to the good.

In my opinion Lydon does not 'sing', or write a decent tune.
PIL to my ears, was pretty shite. The Pistols reunion was a means to an end for Lydon, and PIL was suddenly done and dusted. He could cash in at last, on something McClaren had exploited for himself originally, and scoops all the £££ for himself in the process.

Isn't it a reminder, that the basic and simple falls into place too easily, and the masses are basic and simple so it suits them.
To find the complex, the truly imaginative, the artistic - you have to work at seeking it out, and it may not be at the front, or in the limelight of success.

Dandyman

In London village.

BOF (as we said in the 1970s).

Mar 13, 2008
Odd. I swear his main claim to fame was being in the most successful punk band ever.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Odd. I swear his main claim to fame was being in the most successful punk band ever.

Ever heard of the Clash ? To name but one. Anyway that's no guarantee of talent, The Spice Girls for example made a lot more money than the Sex Pistols.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ever heard of the Clash ? To name but one. Anyway that's no guarantee of talent, The Spice Girls for example made a lot more money than the Sex Pistols.

Being the most successful, is not always gauged financially.

Clash were always second best.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Being the most successful, is not always gauged financially.

Clash were always second best.
Hmm, more talented, decent musicians and lasted a lot longer ? I think a lot would disagree with that but anyway, my original point was to compare Lydon with the likes of Jade Goody as both are talentless yet managed to be successful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here