Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lydon and his butter.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
People slagging off Jade Goody wells here's another talentless bastard who's main claim to fame is being obnoxious.

From the Times:-

f someone had told John Lydon in 1977 that in 30 years he would be advertising butter, the Sex Pistol's response would have been unprintable.

But Lydon - aka Johnny Rotten - has transformed himself from an anarchist punk into a shrewd businessman who knows his own value as a trusted, but subversive, icon of Britishness.

Sales of Country Life butter are up by 85percent since Lydon began advertising it, owner Dairy Crest said yesterday. He is tramping across the countryside on the ads, extolling the local dairy industry.

“Do I buy Country Life Butter because it's made only from British milk?” asks Lydon, dressed in a tweed suit. “No. I buy Country Life because I think it tastes the best.”

Lydon's is the most public face of the punk movement. In 1977, his band, the Sex Pistols, had just released God Save The Queen for Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. Lydon famously sang “I am an Antichrist” and described himself as “the worst threat to our kids since Hitler”.

Predictably, teenagers loved it, as they did Lydon's Johnny Rotten stage name - born out of the singer's lax attitude towards oral hygiene in the mid-1970s. Now, however, his teeth are a gleaming advertisement for private American dentistry.

Lydon's success is impressive. His childhood was riddled with setbacks. He contracted meningitis at the age of seven. The disease left him with damaged eyesight, a permanent curve in his spine and, he says, a “hatred and resentment” towards the outside world.

With the Sex Pistols, Lydon quickly learnt that anarchy was no way to make money.

After leaving the group, he moved to California, where he made a fortune on the property market. In 1996, he reformed the Pistols for the aptly named Filthy Lucre Tour, a move that earned him a reported £1million.

Since then he has released Anarchy in the UK as a video game on Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, and appeared in concerts at the Brixton Academy, Manchester and Glasgow.

In 2006, the public were reminded of who Lydon was when he appeared in ITV's I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here! He remained true to his anarchist roots and walked out before the final.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
port_bg_clover.jpg

On GRILLED toast. Put some ham and a tomato on and you'll be set for the day. Yummy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well I hate butter and I loath John Lydon, would happily punch him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
utterly_butterly_girls_352_352x470.jpg

Fine fillies. Much easier on the eye than that hunchback mong Lydon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We already did a John Lydon TW*T/LEGEND thread couple of months back.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We already did a John Lydon TW*T/LEGEND thread couple of months back.

Sure but this was showing how the much hyped and ridiculously overrated Mr Lydon has sold out despite the way he used to sneer at others who did likewise.

On a slight (or really, complete) tangent, has anyone seen that horrific Gary Rhodes advert for Flora Buttery?

"People prefered Flora Buttery to the alternative". REALLY? Did they really? If you look at the small print...

"Of 200 people sampled, 48% preferred Flora Buttery, 45% preferred the alternative, and 7% had no preference"

So a whole 6 people, out of a sample size of 200, preferred Flora. Or, as we statisticians say "statisically speaking, FECK ALL people preferred it".

Sure but this was showing how the much hyped and ridiculously overrated Mr Lydon has sold out despite the way he used to sneer at others who did likewise.

It's all in the name of filthy lucre, doncha know.

These days he'll be just as likely to say "so what, I don't f***ing care what every self-appointed critic says, I'm a multimillionaire and they can f*** off"
He set his own limits very low right from the start, so it's not like he's got anything to 'live up' to.

He momentarily asked me what I thought about a Pistols re-union, because I'd been first to bring the idea to him.
It didn't really matter what I said I don't suppose, but my response presented both sides of the argument;- "bad if you look at what punk and The Pistols represented in 1976.... but if you want a bigger boat John, it's a great idea".

There's your answer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Don't care, still think he's a talentless wanker in the Jade Goody stylee.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
John Lydon and his butter can f*** right off.

Iggy and his shit insurance can do one too.

Don't care, still think he's a talentless wanker in the Jade Goody stylee.

Yeah, I tend to agree. His solo album, which he was working on just before the Pistols reunion, was utter crud-awful.
He's a nob-end who got a break and ran with it.
Oddly, there are people 'in the know' who declare that he's a great singer!
Joe Boyd, one of the most respectable producers and talent-spotters in British rock history, says (basically) "anyone who says Johnny Rotten can't sing doesn't know much about music" in his book 'White Bicycles'.
Lydon sang to a style that suited the music and the moment, while wankers might ponder over exactitude, timing, timbre, working with live monitors and sustaining of exact notes. Those people will lose that argument, and probably never sell more than a couple of records to their parents.

It's the world we live in though - punk fans and musicians will strut the idea that they've usurped prog rock and excessive pomposity, while joining a fashion just as ultimately pompous and exclusive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here