Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Bond...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The Albion seemed to be a bogey team for Bond so was a bit surprised that we were ever connected with him, although his teams played nice footie. He was a bit of a character and always good for a quote or two. Yes he was a traditional style of manager but don't think he was malicious like some of his contemporaries. Certainly Bond was just a bit more PC than the likes of Atkinson. Funny how current managers like Steve Evans or Di Canio now make Atkinson seem quite mellow. I certainly wouldn't put Bond in their league.

I can't recall seeing John Bond play but do recall Atkinson playing for Oxford at the Goldstone, what used to be described as 'a very no nonsense CB' which in practice meant he wasn't afraid to kick our forwards up in the air, which was deemed ok in those days. I also think it was Atkinson who unnecessarily belted one of the old style heavy footballs into the front row of the North Stand from point blank range and spectacularly knocked a young Albion fan out cold. Although there was a break in play he never bothered to say sorry even though he was only few yards away. That always made me think he was a bit of a cock years before he became a manager.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
RIP Muffin top footie man part of thinkers of the game from that era Big Mal ,Dave Sexton,Jonny Lyle ,Don Howe EL Tel all used to meet up in a eastlondon cafe after training and plan tatics using the salt and pepper pots ect ...Nick Name was Muffin at Westham as he had a kick like a mule

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He was manging Bournemouth during the time I was living there and built a pretty attractive team with Ted Macdougal and Phil Boyer in the line -up.
He was always a bit of a character and had plenty to say.Remember watching a few matches at the old Dean Court when Albion were playing a bit further away than my modest petrol 'affordability' could take me.
Great match against Bournemouth in 1972 ,I think.A draw,with Bertie Lutton scoring for us.Hell of a tight squeeze in the ground!
John R.I.P.

Could not see the near goal at Dean Court. Terrible view. John Bond Bournemouth on the map briefly but the Albion got promoted instead. Much to do with TV coverage from Southampton.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One of the 7 players beginning with the letter "B" in the 64 West Ham cup winning team. Solid pro and good, although opinionated, manager. Remember his Bournemouth team well when we were nip and tuck with them. Happy days. RIP.

I remember that. Thinking of the Albion B team.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have a mate who is a Burnley fan and a lot of them hated Bond with a passion after his spell as manager there (looking at Wikipedia, primarily because he sold a number of their up-and-coming youngsters such as Trevor Steven and Lee Dixon). Almost 10 years later, when with Shrewsbury, he was advised by police not to attend a match against Burnley due to the strength of feeling still prevalent amongst the Burnley fans.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Told Chris Cattlin while manager of Swansea during a reserve game, that Dean Saunders ran around like a headless chicken. Then we took Saunders off his hands on a free transfer....Just for that R.I.P John Bond.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bournemouth was his 1st job, think he stepped up from player, and he transformed a poor side into probably the best team they ever had. B'muff where getting crowds of 15-20k & even 22k against us at Dean Court.

Having been pipped, by us, for promotion, he went to Norwich, taking a few players with him and the success continued buyt his star waned when he got the big job at man City and generally ballsed up every job since. Was sacked on at least one occasion after losing at the Goldstone.

Always found him a bit smug, would compare him to Adkins of today.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
spot on

Told Chris Cattlin while manager of Swansea during a reserve game, that Dean Saunders ran around like a headless chicken. Then we took Saunders off his hands on a free transfer....Just for that R.I.P John Bond.

he was spot on about. I have never seen a more over rated player

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have a mate who is a Burnley fan and a lot of them hated Bond with a passion after his spell as manager there (looking at Wikipedia, primarily because he sold a number of their up-and-coming youngsters such as Trevor Steven and Lee Dixon). Almost 10 years later, when with Shrewsbury, he was advised by police not to attend a match against Burnley due to the strength of feeling still prevalent amongst the Burnley fans.
Burnley fans really are complete wankers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here