Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Bond...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The old football manager? I must say, I assumed he'd died a few years back.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He was manging Bournemouth during the time I was living there and built a pretty attractive team with Ted Macdougal and Phil Boyer in the line -up.
He was always a bit of a character and had plenty to say.Remember watching a few matches at the old Dean Court when Albion were playing a bit further away than my modest petrol 'affordability' could take me.
Great match against Bournemouth in 1972 ,I think.A draw,with Bertie Lutton scoring for us.Hell of a tight squeeze in the ground!
John R.I.P.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last of the old fashioned Ron Atkinson style dinosaurs?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
....apart from Ron Atkinson, of course :dunce:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was at a hotel near East London when Msn City arrived for an evening match against West Ham and as the players got off of the coach one of them had his tie hanging very loosely round his neck and not puled up properly. When John Bond saw this he told the player " Yo were all told to get dressed properly in Tie and Blazers you have just ignored me thats just cost you a weeks wages" A very strict disciplinarian who was well respected by the players and also a good full back for West Ham. RIP.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One of the 7 players beginning with the letter "B" in the 64 West Ham cup winning team. Solid pro and good, although opinionated, manager. Remember his Bournemouth team well when we were nip and tuck with them. Happy days. RIP.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Didn't we get him the sack in 1983?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We beat his team heavily a few times but it was the 1983 cup run that he resigned after the 4-0 defeat.

His parting words as he left the dugout (said in his country bumpkin drawl) were 'that's enough for me' and he promptly went and resigned.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I remember Mullers giving him a verbal pasting after one game. And of course his resignation after the '83 Cup match.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do any managers actually resign these days ? Having a better job lined up doesn't count.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wasn't he rumoured to become manager of us after the cup final ?

Yes, John Vinicombe wrote the story and it went out on the eve of the final, I think. The club didn't invite him to the post-match celebrations as revenge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here