Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton - I'm not greedy wanting more than £28k a week

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's not too shabby but if he feels he is being underpaid then why shouldn't he hand in a request if he feels he can get paid more elsewhere? I doubt all the young players at the club will follow suit because they probably can't get paid better elsewhere.
Well he could try to do a SWP I suppose and treble his salary to disappear off the radar and play in the reserves.

I guess it boils down to what you really value. Do you value playing week in week out in the Premiership under the watchful guidance of a skilfull coach and developing as a player at a club which has stood by you through thick and thin despite you behaving like an absolute prick in the past ?

Or do you just want more CASH ?

I suppose we can see where Barton stands on that one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tooting Gull said:
I don't think you have to look too far for what's happened with Barton.

A few weeks ago he was saying he wanted to be City club captain. Three weeks ago - new agent.

This pond-life (Willie McKay?) was on talkSPORT yesterday and didn't do himself any favours.

I'm sorry, but £1.5m a year when City have stuck by you after being an utter dickhead, and you've just seen your brother go to jail...most would thank their lucky stars.

And as Easy says, if he continues to progress/gets England shout, they can renegotiate.
Do me a favour! Citeh stuck by him because he was a quality player. If he'd been Mark McCammon, Barton would have received his P45 long ago.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Its the system that’s f***ed, the players are just a symptom of it. Also its a bit different trainer to be a teacher than sacrificing a lot of your youth to become a professional in a career that last 15 yrs if your lucky.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster said:
He can ask, and if he thinks he's undervalued then he can go to the market and see if someone out there thinks he is worth more than Citeh are offering.

So in that way, is he any more greedy than anyone else? Or is it different rules for Barton because his half brother is low life scum?
Nothing to do with his half-brother at all, whats he got to do with anything ? Just calling it as I see it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
Do me a favour! Citeh stuck by him because he was a quality player. If he'd been Mark McCammon, Barton would have received his P45 long ago.

If he'd been Mark McCammon, he'd have been too busy with his radio career for Premiership training demands.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think you need to separate the two issues.

1. Should professional footballers earn £28,000 a week and beyond?

and

2. Given that professional footballers that excel in their field earn £28,000 and beyond, what wage does Joey Barton deserve to earn?

I think question one has enough potential for a 10,000 word essay.

Question two can be answered simply with, "If one club is prepared to pay him that wage, then he is."

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Les Biehn said:
Its the system that’s f***ed, the players are just a symptom of it. Also its a bit different trainer to be a teacher than sacrificing a lot of your youth to become a professional in a career that last 15 yrs if your lucky.

This IS a joke,n'est ce pas?

£1.5m per annum for 15 years is in excess of £22m!Yes,yes,I know it may not always be £1.5m per annum,but where's the sacrifice in being a pro footballer.Its a natural talent which is coached,and its rare to hear of a footballer who doesn't enjoy his work.

Training to be a teacher requires a different type of ability,usually academic,and a willingness to front up to thirty or more pupils who would normally rather be elsewhere,and who you cannot sell to the next school or throw off the bus.I'm amazed that teachers stick it ,to be honest,whereas many footballers try desperately to extend their careers past their sell by date,McCammon being a prime example.

I also realise that £28k per week is not top whack,and my belief is that clubs should only be allowed to spend a capped amount of their income on players wages.

But then,I can recall the amazement when Johnny Haynes got his £100 per week,and when Trevor Francis became Englands first million pound man.

Shame,but today the SKY's the limit,and fairly average players can earn the earth.

Wonder if they buy lottery tickets?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sadly it is us mugs who are fuelling the greedy bastards feeding frenzy.

Having said that, if you can get it, go for it.

We would all do the same.

The only loyalty in football comes from us the fans.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
clippedgull said:
Sadly it is us mugs who are fuelling the greedy bastards feeding frenzy.

Having said that, if you can get it, go for it.

We would all do the same.

The only loyalty in football comes from us the fans.

Agreed.End of thread.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Well he could try to do a SWP I suppose and treble his salary to disappear off the radar and play in the reserves.

I guess it boils down to what you really value. Do you value playing week in week out in the Premiership under the watchful guidance of a skilfull coach and developing as a player at a club which has stood by you through thick and thin despite you behaving like an absolute prick in the past ?

Or do you just want more CASH ?

I suppose we can see where Barton stands on that one.

Exactly, the guy is a class A prick.

But my thinking is that he is NOT an exceptional player (how many caps, medals, player of the year awards has he got, Thierry henry is an EXCEPTIONAL Player-je's won the World Cup) - he is a humdrum run of the mill 23 year old pro.

And Fowler may well have been on 45k a week but he's been an international, played at the highest level etc etc etc etc.

Barton has done slightly less than feck all in football so far

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
£28K a week is a lot, even by Premiership standards, but then Barton is an above-average player.

I'd like to know which club is going to give him first team football and £30K plus wages, they'll be taking a gamble.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's not too shabby but if he feels he is being underpaid then why shouldn't he hand in a request if he feels he can get paid more elsewhere? I doubt all the young players at the club will follow suit because they probably can't get paid better elsewhere.

Part of the reason why he has put in a transfer request is that he feels that he should not have been fined for

1. Stubbing out a cigar in a youth team players eye
2. The incident in Thailand with the Everton fan and Richard Dunne.

It really pisses him off, in the same way that Lee Bowyer resented the fines he had to pay at Leeds.

There is a mentality with people from Self-Pity City that they never do any wrong, and so should never have to pay the price for their actions. You only had to see the indignity that took place in Murkeyside when some of the Juve fans were less than impressed with the scouse 'apology' in the Champions League last season. He is merely a product of his bindipping environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here