Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton - I'm not greedy wanting more than £28k a week

"I´M NOT BEING GREEDY, INSISTS BARTON

Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton insisted he was "not being greedy" following his decision to turn down the club´s double-your-money £28,000-a-week offer and ask for a transfer.

The 23-year-old claims there is no chance of him staying at Eastlands unless he becomes one of the Blues´ top earners.

He told Sky Sports News: "Obviously it was made out I was very, very greedy and asking for an extortionate amount of money. I asked to be put in line with the top earners and I wasn´t offered that. I value myself higher than the club does."

Nearly as bigger idiot as his brother............

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He's probably their most important player and wanted to be paid as such. He wasn't offered what he thought he was worth so he banged in a transfer request.

I do not see anything wrong with that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
He's probably their most important player and wanted to be paid as such. He wasn't offered what he thought he was worth so he banged in a transfer request.

I do not see anything wrong with that.
Me neither to be honest.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Storer68 said:
what is more worrying is that £28k does NOT bring him as one of Manchester City's top earners...........:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wasn't Folwer in £45k, I can quite easy see why Barton is macked off ..

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How much is Ferdinand on ? Hell of a lot more than a 'mere' 28 grand I reckon.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Storer68 said:

Nearly as bigger idiot as his brother............

Asked to be paid what you worth in an inflated market and putting an axe through someones head are not even remotely similar.

I think it is fair of him to ask. Whether it is right that players should get that much is another matter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not quite sure how being a greedy bastard makes you as bad as a racist axe murderer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hang on, he's having a decent season this year and is undoubtedly an important player for them now. But I don't see why that should catapult his wages into the stratosphere overnight. Doubling up to £28k a week for a 23 year old is not too shabby at all in my opinion. No doubt in a years time, if he continues to do the business for City then they can re-negotiate his contract again. But for christ sake, if they put all their young players on a salary level with the top earners (some of them Internationals) following a seasons good form, they'll have every player in the squad knocking on the chairmans door wanting a raise.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Hang on, he's having a decent season this year and is undoubtedly an important player for them now. But I don't see why that should catapult his wages into the stratosphere overnight. Doubling up to £28k a week for a 23 year old is not too shabby at all in my opinion. No doubt in a years time, if he continues to do the business for City then they can re-negotiate his contract again. But for christ sake, if they put all their young players on a salary level with the top earners (some of them Internationals) following a seasons good form, they'll have every player in the squad knocking on the chairmans door wanting a raise.

Innit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Easy 10 said:
He can ask, and if he thinks he's undervalued then he can go to the market and see if someone out there thinks he is worth more than Citeh are offering.

So in that way, is he any more greedy than anyone else? Or is it different rules for Barton because his half brother is low life scum?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

It's not too shabby but if he feels he is being underpaid then why shouldn't he hand in a request if he feels he can get paid more elsewhere? I doubt all the young players at the club will follow suit because they probably can't get paid better elsewhere.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
£28k per week. Teacher £28k per annum.So this underpaid professional earns in a year more than a teacher in a career.

Sorry if that reads like poetry;it was intended to reflect on relative values.

Add your own "workers" pay,dustman,IT operative,hospital porter or whatever.

There are very few industries paying so much to so few often for so little.

Its why supporters have every right to complain,and why footballers appear as greedy.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Easy 10 said:

Wise words Easy.

He's having a good season for sure, but chances are it won't last. Asking to be on a par with the top earners at 23 is a bit cheeky if you ask me. Double your money deal sounds fair enough, renegotiate in a year if your worth it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Mind you after the way the club stood by him in the summer he it is a bit cheeky that he wants to be up with the top earners.he owes them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
withdeanwombat said:
£28k per week. Teacher £28k per annum.So this underpaid professional earns in a year more than a teacher in a career.

Sorry if that reads like poetry;it was intended to reflect on relative values.

Add your own "workers" pay,dustman,IT operative,hospital porter or whatever.

There are very few industries paying so much to so few often for so little.

Its why supporters have every right to complain,and why footballers appear as greedy.
No-one is disputing that footballers are overpaid, but you can't compare the earnings of people in entirely different sectors! Barton is in the football sector and so he rightly compares his earnings with his peers. In the same way, I like to compare my own rates and conditions with other IT Contractors, and not with tube drivers, builders or financial advisors.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think you have to look too far for what's happened with Barton.

A few weeks ago he was saying he wanted to be City club captain. Three weeks ago - new agent.

This pond-life (Willie McKay?) was on talkSPORT yesterday and didn't do himself any favours.

I'm sorry, but £1.5m a year when City have stuck by you after being an utter dickhead, and you've just seen your brother go to jail...most would thank their lucky stars.

And as Easy says, if he continues to progress/gets England shout, they can renegotiate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here