Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That's fine, but not for free, surely?
The club will activate it, so Barcelona or Ajax can have him but they'll need to pay.

Well the thing is at 31 he doesn't really have a resale value. And because we paid less than a million for him, its not like the club are looking to recoup any of what we paid for him. We're not going to say "you can go, but they have to pay 15 million for you", because nobody would pay that. Activating the extension, is essentially saying we're not letting you go. I hope we don't let him go, but if a club of Barcelona's stature came in for him and he wants to go, I think we'd let him go on free.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The club will activate it, so Barcelona or Ajax can have him but they'll need to pay.
The last one I remember us activating was Vicente and that ended badly didn’t it? He was gone within a month, you can’t chain older players who you got on a free or for next to nothing it seems, if they down tools what can you do?

Bad for team moral too, he either wants to stay and if he doesn’t we should not stand in his way…imo

I really doubt we’ll get a bean for him if he wants out :shrug:

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well the thing is at 31 he doesn't really have a resale value. And because we paid less than a million for him, its not like the club are looking to recoup any of what we paid for him. We're not going to say "you can go, but they have to pay 15 million for you", because nobody would pay that. Activating the extension, is essentially saying we're not letting you go. I hope we don't let him go, but if a club of Barcelona's stature came in for him and he wants to go, I think we'd let him go on free.
just seems wrong, he goes to Barcelona to improve them and we get nothing, what we paid for him is irrelevant, it should be what he is worth to us and what they are willing to pay, I don't think we would ask for 15 million, but activate the clause and get 5 million for him, so we can put that towards recruitment or wages, we will need a replacement, we are not a charity for one of the richest clubs in the world, feck that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The club have always said they wouldn't stand in a player's way if they want to leave. Having said that i don't think that means we'd let him go to another Prem side, but Barcelona is slightly different. A lot of players would want to go there and test themselves, at one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he wanted to go, I think we'd let him. It would fit with the message the club gives to players when they sell it to them.
They have said that but, at times, they don't keep to that (eg Stephens, Caicedo). I think they say something more than 'we won't stand in a player's way', it's usually caveated with something along the lines of 'provided the circumstances are right for the club'.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
just seems wrong, he goes to Barcelona to improve them and we get nothing, what we paid for him is irrelevant, it should be what he is worth to us and what they are willing to pay, I don't think we would ask for 15 million, but activate the clause and get 5 million for him, so we can put that towards recruitment or wages, we will need a replacement, we are not a charity for one of the richest clubs in the world, feck that.
I agree its not ideal, and I really don't want him to go. I also don't think we'd do that for 99% of clubs. Its just simply the opportunity that playing for Barcelona provides for a player. Its a dream for most players, and thats why i think we'd let him go. And because he's been a model pro for us, and given 100% every week. Its a bit like when we let Burn leave for Newcastle even though it wasn't ideal for us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He is going to cost a hella lot of money to replace if we do lose him. As is Colwill. Defensive signings become the major priority.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
They have said that but, at times, they don't keep to that (eg Stephens, Caicedo). I think they say something more than 'we won't stand in a player's way', it's usually caveated with something along the lines of 'provided the circumstances are right for the club'.
Yeah maybe, maybe I'm wrong and the club would insist he stays. I just have a feeling that they won't if its Barcelona that come knocking.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Charlie Haffenden writes for the Sussex Express, with over 9K followers, and is usually ok. The kiddy says Veltman's contract expires next month, which isn't strictly true and doesn't mention the club option.
Naylor and The Athletic first reported that we had an 1 year option with Veltman's contract as long ago as May 2022. Latest reporting is that we're in contract negotiations presumably to land a contract (2 years ? ) similar to Gross at end of last season ? given our lack of options in his position and RDZ valuing the player. I'd be amazed if he goes elsewhere given where we are despite the odd rumour/ paper talk etc (nothing of substance )

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Does anyone actually think Barca are in for Veltman? We have an option and we're in negotiations for a longer contract...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Totally agree. For any player from Ajax, Barcelona is THE move. I don’t think the club would stand in his way if they did want him, it’s just not our way and nor should we after the service he has given for a pittance of a fee paid originally.

That being said, I hope he chooses to stay, he’s class.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
you can’t chain older players who you got on a free or for next to nothing it seems, if they down tools what can you do?
A free isnt really free. They come with a huge signing on bonus for the player. There is no way we should let him go anywhere for no fee if the contract he agreed to gave us another year. Anyway Im pretty sure if we offer the right deal he'll stay and that would be fantastic news.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He is going to cost a hella lot of money to replace if we do lose him. As is Colwill. Defensive signings become the major priority.
I wouldn't worry. The future world's best CB wonderkid – Flavio Futtonball – will be on his way from deepest darkest Peru before you can say "big balls' if there are any noises of big departures :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The last one I remember us activating was Vicente and that ended badly didn’t it? He was gone within a month, you can’t chain older players who you got on a free or for next to nothing it seems, if they down tools what can you do?

Bad for team moral too, he either wants to stay and if he doesn’t we should not stand in his way…imo

I really doubt we’ll get a bean for him if he wants out :shrug:
We activated Danny Welbeck's extension and then he signed for a further year after that. He's been with us for three years now.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah maybe, maybe I'm wrong and the club would insist he stays. I just have a feeling that they won't if its Barcelona that come knocking.
The "won't stand in the way" thing that gets trotted out on here is NSC echo chambered nonsense. When we try to sign young starlets part of the attraction us that we are a good stepping stone in a player's career. That doesn't mean if Man City or Arsenal or Barcelona want one of our key first team players for peanuts we just roll over. Ask Cucu or Caicedo.

Dan Burn was a very good squad player but not a regular in the first team when he was sold. Trossard and Bissouma were towards the end of their contracts and both were not guaranteed starters either when they left. Bloom maybe a sentimental fool for sinking millions into his favourite football team but that is where any sentimental foolishness ends.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We do have the contract extension, but I'm not sure we'll definitely activate it. If Barcelona want Veltman and he wants to go, I don't think the club would stand in his way.
But telling Barca they have to pay us something for our player is hardly standing in his way. Maybe just a small fee, but why should we give our players (even the well performing loyal ones) away for free?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Was thinking this the other day. With Adingra coming back and Pedro, plus Ferguson coming through, Sarmiento getting fit and Buonanotte getting older, we suddenly seem to have an abundance of forward options. Will the ubiquitous ‘we need a striker’ summer thread become ‘we need a CB/RB’?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The last one I remember us activating was Vicente and that ended badly didn’t it?
We've had contract options for many players since then (i think at least half a dozen of the current squad have them) and exercised them and/or extended their contracts anew depending on circumstances.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dan Burn was a very good squad player but not a regular in the first team when he was sold.
Agree with you. We don't roll over.
PS: Dan Burn was a regular starter in the first team squad when he was sold. He'd just finished a run of starting 8 games in a row only interuppted by a couple of injuries. And he had started 23 of the PL games the previous season . From about January 2021 until he left he was first choice, first 11 player. Agreed...before then he was a squad player playing rarely.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've had contract options for many players since then (i think at least half a dozen of the current squad have them) and exercised them and/or extended their contracts anew depending on circumstances.
Yeah but this is the only “end of career“ quality player who we have had this option on isn’t it? I wouldn’t blame him in the least for digging his heels in to go to Barca if they want him. Hopefully they don’t and he’ll stay though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here