Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does seem weird this Charlie fella said this just after the #1 kiddy wrote it. Not sure either or reliable of course but it’s a bit odd.
Charlie Haffenden writes for the Sussex Express, with over 9K followers, and is usually ok. The kiddy says Veltman's contract expires next month, which isn't strictly true and doesn't mention the club option.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Does seem weird this Charlie fella said this just after the #1 kiddy wrote it. Not sure either or reliable of course but it’s a bit odd.
In my imagination there is a sort of hide like bird watchers use but it is full of these twitteratti. It has a view of PBOBE's office and Joel's agent just walked in the door.

I also think this Noah Reed person should rebrand as #1 Kiddy for BHA news.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I really rate Veltman, he has been an absolute bargain and his commitment is there for all to see.
European football should do the trick, I could only see him being tempted back to Ajax, and with them not playing Champions league, I can't see that happening this year, anyway you never know could we play them next year maybe ?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I really rate Veltman, he has been an absolute bargain and his commitment is there for all to see.
European football should do the trick, I could only see him being tempted back to Ajax, and with them not playing Champions league, I can't see that happening this year, anyway you never know could we play them next year maybe ?
I'd like to think you're right. But interest from Barcelona would surely at least have got JV's attention

Last edited:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
100 per cent this.
I absolutely love a player who you can be sure is always giving everything he can for the team.
Slight note of caution regarding the second part. We are not there yet and may still have to go to Villa wanting something from that game, the very thought of which sends shivers up my spine !

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'd like to think you're right. But interest from Barcelona would surely at least have got JV's attention
do not worry about Barcelona poaching him.
If this is what you are worried about..
"According to Diario Sport, Barcelona are interested in ex-Ajax defender Joel Veltman. The 31-year-old’s current contract at Brighton & Hove Albion expires in June, meaning Barca could potentially bring him to the Camp Nou without having to pay a transfer fee"

Well they clearly do not know the facts, for one we have a year option on him, and we will activate the year extension no matter what, so we get a fee for him, and by then Barcelona will have spunked all their budget.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
do not worry about Barcelona poaching him.
If this is what you are worried about..
"According to Diario Sport, Barcelona are interested in ex-Ajax defender Joel Veltman. The 31-year-old’s current contract at Brighton & Hove Albion expires in June, meaning Barca could potentially bring him to the Camp Nou without having to pay a transfer fee"

Well they clearly do not know the facts, for one we have a year option on him, and we will activate the year extension no matter what, so we get a fee for him, and by then Barcelona will have spunked all their budget.
We do have the contract extension, but I'm not sure we'll definitely activate it. If Barcelona want Veltman and he wants to go, I don't think the club would stand in his way.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Why would we let him go, I can't see RDZ being happy about that to be honest.
The club have always said they wouldn't stand in a player's way if they want to leave. Having said that i don't think that means we'd let him go to another Prem side, but Barcelona is slightly different. A lot of players would want to go there and test themselves, at one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he wanted to go, I think we'd let him. It would fit with the message the club gives to players when they sell it to them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The club have always said they wouldn't stand in a player's way if they want to leave. Having said that i don't think that means we'd let him go to another Prem side, but Barcelona is slightly different. A lot of players would want to go there and test themselves, at one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he wanted to go, I think we'd let him. It would fit with the message the club gives to players when they sell it to them.
That's fine, but not for free, surely?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We do have the contract extension, but I'm not sure we'll definitely activate it. If Barcelona want Veltman and he wants to go, I don't think the club would stand in his way.
The club will activate it, so Barcelona or Ajax can have him but they'll need to pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here