Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe O'Cearuill

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think he played tonight...didn't look that bad!

I agree. There was another ex Albion loanee playing for Ireland U21s last night. Tony Stokes.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The big premiership clubs tend to snap up any young prospect at an early age, most are released, or sold and very few make it into the team. They tend to have academies and take in 100's of youngsters, so it isn't surprising many don't turn out to be "up to scratch"

I know what you are saying and in JO's case it seems that they signed him on a whim, as he was pretty poor for us and lacked any quality that indicated that he should of been at Arsenal.

But Acadamies tend to be a little bit more selective than we think. There are strict guidelines on a maximum players signed on at each age group. Something like 30 per age group at the younger age groups and that decreases to 20 at the older age groups. Clubs do not really want to have players around that do not show any real chance of progressing.

Now thats where so called 'Development Centres' come into play.

I am not a fan of these centres.

Clubs can and do invite many youngsters into these Centres where players of just decent ability can be monitered. Waste of time on the whole especially for kids older than 10 years as very few are promoted to the Academy for real !!

Anyway wasnt JO signed professional for Arsenal straight from another club, therefore bypassing the Arsenal Academy system ??

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I agree. There was another ex Albion loanee playing for Ireland U21s last night. Tony Stokes.

thats a different stokes there yorkie, we had stokes from west ham, that was ex arsenal currently of sunderland stokes

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Especially when he is played as a lone striker. :shootself
Stuart Pearce is a tactical moron, Peter Taylor was better. :dunce:

I know! That really f***ed me off. None of the supposed front three got in the box enough for the first 60 minutes. He should be playing a f***ing central striker at that level, even someone like Jerome would fill his boots against the likes of Ireland.

pineapple stu

Jan 29, 2008
Isn't there asome strange arrangement about payers pay in Ireland. I seem to recall it being relevant when O'Callaghan left Ipswich to go back to the republic?
You might be thinking of the deal where professional sportsmen/women can get all their tax on their sports-related earnings back if they reside in the country (have to stay for ten years minimum or something like that).

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was at the under 21 match and I thought he looked ok in the middle of defence. Was all over Walcott, perhaps a bit clumsily as times but he wouldn't be playing that standard of striker week in week out in Ireland or League 1 or 2 over here.

If memory serves me correct we played him at right back and he wasn't that good going forward?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here