Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting - what next ?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I don;t rate him. I think he;ll struggle to bridge the gap from youth/reserve to first team and make an impact in League football. He needs to find an aggressive streak from somewhere, he just doesn;t look gutsy or determined enough to me. He;s not got a great touch, not particuarly adept at holding it up, not especially powerful in the air. Not much in the way of movement either. I expect to see young players busting a gut to make an impact when they get their chance in the 1st team, but I certainly didn;t see that from Gatting. Loan him out by all means, perhaps when he fills out a bit he;ll start putting himself about a bit more. But at the moment, he looks like another McPhee.

Bognor/Worthing level at best

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
funny really, I can remember a fair few of you saying that he was going to be the best thing since sliced bread and yet those same few are now slagging him off. For christ\\\'s sake, he is still only 19 and yet people are expecting f*cking miracles!!!

How can anyone on here say that they can judge how good a player is going to be 5 years from now just from a handful of games?
I;ve heard about his goalscoring exploits in the youth/reserves, but have reserved judgement on him on him as a 1st team player. As far as I;m concerned, the jury is still very much out on him as to whether he proves himself a worthwhile player at the Albion. So far I;ve seen precious little to convince me that he;s much cop, and I;m not sure we can wait on him for five years till his mid-twenties to see if he;s going to be any good.

No, I\\\'m not expecting miracles from Gatting, far from it. But I;ve been trying to see some encouraging signs, and frankly they;ve been thin on the ground. In my opinion he needs to show more desire, up his workrate, retain possession better and put himself about a LOT more than he has shown so far. He;s not quick, and he;s not the most skilful of forwards, so he needs to work double-hard on those other aspects to prove his worth in the 1st team. Until or unless he starts doing that, he IS going to be another one of those players who doesn;t quite make the step-up, and just drifts into non-league.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't rate him, but the best option is definitely to loan him out to get some regular games under his belt. If he proves me (and a lot of other people) wrong and shows that he can do a job one or two divisions down, then I'm sure we'll all welcome him back.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I think the problem he had last season is that a lot of the time he was played as a target man with others working off him, when he's probably better playing with a target man.

Loan him out for the season and see how it goes, at the moment I don't see him being any better tham Ramsay and McPhee but time will tell. As others have said, he's still only a teenager!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here